Need Help In Central Texas.........

Bigtex

Here's an interesting impression in Limestone, and proves that there has been University of Texas Longhorn fans around for million of years:

post-193-0-68801500-1340823558_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bigtex

Hey guys......hope everyone is having a good summer, however hot. Some of the national temps are looking like Texas weather, and my sincerest thoughts to those without power!

I figured you guys would jump all over me for that last post......can't you see the cowboy boot print in Limestone?

My aching back is back, starting to hit the trails again. Few water holes left, and have to think about my dogs......in previous years, I just carried more water. This year I pack in 2 gallons, and leave them near the normal watering holes once a week. One of the natural depressions that I use for a bowl is shown below.......kinda looks like an ancient BF print.

Picture of another drying pool with the doggies cooling off, has several fish trapped, 4 or 5 are 6" size, and a print impression nearby......was probably made underwater a few weeks back, now exposed and dried out.

post-193-0-81792200-1341337519_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-01636800-1341337546_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-45893300-1341337564_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It's been raining about a week and a half now, nice weather for Texas this time of year, but the cooler temps are more than offset by the humidity.......in a word - BRUTAL!

The dry ground has been soaking up most of the water, and now finally, the creeks are starting to fill & hold water again.

Here's another limestone print. I know some think these are naturally occuring, but there's just so many, and they are too 'perfect' in form. Lots of these fossil prints are in the same area & creek, and appear to be from the same individual......interesting for sure.

post-193-0-19759000-1342446895_thumb.jpg

Thanks Cervelo, they are cool, and my bare feet feel comfy in them! Here are the two 'pups' having fun hiking!

Will hopefully have an update on a area I haven't hiked in quite some time.......the Kill Zone.

I put up several (store bought) Game Cameras, and have been out there a while, will be retrieving those in a few weeks.

post-193-0-45288500-1342660781_thumb.jpg

One of our native sons (Texas) Chester Moore, a well known wildlife enthusiast, came to town yesterday to do some filming with Lucy for an upcoming show he is doing on the Southern Grey Wolf.

He is a friend, knew that I had her, and I was honored that he wanted to use her for filming. How did she do? Like a seasoned 'Ham', she did very well, and hopefully a Star was born! A lot of strangers around her, plus staying in one basic location for over an hour......I was surprised that she did so well, everyone loved her!

post-193-0-49984000-1343322602_thumb.jpg

It's hot out there......a stretch of 100+ degree days, no rain, and hard to find any sign.

Did locate an interesting print, plus what looks likea mountain lion track, with a scrape mark nearby.

post-193-0-64764400-1343775016_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-62380400-1343775042_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-99188000-1343775064_thumb.jpg

I forget how to do this, and hopefully the link below brings up my YouYube video taken last week at the Kill Zone.......weird & spooky place.

You can hear traffic noise, but is a ways off......there were some big trucks going down the highway, and the sound carried down the ravine quite a ways.

It's a little long, but has an interesting Deer kill that I found at the very end, strange twisted carcass, and worth watching.

Guest Thepattywagon

That is a spooky place. How large an area does the kill zone encompass?

Hard to come up with a reason those deer legs would be broken like that.

Just. Plain. Creepy. I've never seen anything like a kill zone before. Just curious, what kind of animals are known to do this?

Guest vilnoori

Funny, but I just saw prints from those weird toed shoes this month out hiking. There is a name brand in letters on the sole, so it is pretty clear that they are not "bigfoot" or even barefoot prints when you look at them. I hope you took a moment to have a good look at his tracks! :)

The broken legs makes me think of bolas being used to hunt, in which the legs are entangled and sometimes broken:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolas

Hey guys.......I had talked about and posted several pictures of another kill zone back in the old forum. That location was much closer to town, and did involve some dumping by city workers. This place is different in that it's further out, and much more remote, with no roads in or out. There may be some poaching & dumping going on, but how could there be that much? The area is rather large, maybe 3 or 4 football field sized, and the bones are everywhere!

Also, this location is near 'The Funnel', and is the only bridge for many miles that goes across FM 1431.......animals use the path under the bridge to stealthfully get in & out of the area, and would make a good ambush point.

One thing is for sure......however they ended up there, something is killing & eating them!

I hear ya Vil about the shoes......the ones I hike in are 'hikers' with a rugged sole, and leaves a distinct patterened print........gotta watch for these things though, some have flatter smooth soles.

Edited by Bigtex

Guest Cervelo

All I can is wow that is creepy!

If there was every a place that a cam would solve a mystery this location might be it.

I'm dying to know what's doing this.

• gigantor unlocked and featured this topic
  • gigantor unlocked this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor unpinned this topic
  • gigantor unlocked and pinned this topic
  • gigantor unlocked and pinned this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured and featured this topic