So They're Presumedly Smart

Guest gershake

I would see this as a natural progression to his intelligence yes. Maybe he wouldn't be building pyramids and sailing ships at first, but I'd **** sure bet he would use that intelligence to have the choicest fishing spots on the river. If by his intelligence he is securing the best resources for his offspring? Eventually the species is going to grow and continue to dominate resources, and in time who knows?

Ultimately this is the story of humans, but if it hadn't been us, I have little doubt another hominoid would have filled the niche.

Right, the other hominoid is us, so BF plays second, but we left a niche open for it. This niche is a covert, nocturnal, aboreal life style that leaves little sign, and no signal fires. ;) It's either this or we might well have hunted them to extinction. Bf only has to dominate enough to hold his ground in his niche, to exist.

Guest fenris
Bigfoot for what ever the reason does not have the intelligence required to be the top dog over humans, not in a mall and not in the forest. This isn't some egotistical power trip, it's just the facts. If Bigfoot had the upper hand in intelligence? He would be the master of his domain taking the choicest resources for himself and pushing humans to the fringe. We would have a situation that was akin to the planet of the apes.

People seem to think that it requires intelligence to be "good in the woods". Obviously for a human it is something that must be learned and practiced. But a cougar is certainly good in the woods, but if he could talk I doubt I'd get a very lively discussion with him, because he isn't intelligent. Most of what drives a cougar is instinct, and a small amount of observation of mom when young.

I'm sure a Bigfoot has the mental capacity of Koko, you can sign a very simple conversation with her, but your not going to get into a mean game of chess with her. And ultimately that is what the game of survival is all about, it's a chess match.

Ultimately I think it's human nature to assign our attributes and feelings onto animals, something akin to the movie Bambi, it's just not realistic though.

Maybe the critter's just wired differently than us (If it's out there), and knows it's better to avoid us. I think it potentially niave to think all other primates are automatically wired to dominate the way humans are.

The truth is in our "formative" years many other uber predators were not beat by us by own brawn, we just ate up all their food supply and they starved out, so the scientists would have us believe.

Guest fenris

Now that there no matter who you are... that was funny lol. Good one Chris :) Hey I may feel the same way about it.. I still have not tried it and you know, that is ok by me lol.

If yer hungry enough and thats all thats available I bet you end up eating snake. What is it with Southerners and snakes anyway? There seems to be a phobia there yet things like gators, and ginormis feral pigs not so much. What's up with that, Chris?

Guest fenris

I personally do not believe them to be intelligent enough to know that their own behavior is being dictated by survival of the fittest scenarios. What I mean by this is that they probably do not understand why they do certain things and so place blame externally.

This can be a big plus for researchers in that if we can develop a reasonable model for specific behaviors of the animal, we might be able to predict certain occurrences happening, that they themselves would be helpless to prevent. I am not talking about being in such and such a place the week of such and such, but more like - these three areas have had activity during a specific time of year and what they all have in common is such and such. By placing resources at these three locations during that time, and monitoring what is common between them, it may be possible to encounter one. These three places would have to be in close proximity to one another to be considered part of a singular individuals range, and thus a singular individuals behavioral pattern. I feel the model for these animals (that is what I think they are) can be developed from the other great apes, with behavioral inclusions from comparable life strategies, those large mammals of a more local variety (such as bears).

Not buying that, otherwise there would be for example, imo, more trail cam pictures. Other animals are all too aware of said cams and let their curiosity get the better of them.

If this is an animal, it is probably a primate and primates are quick learners, equipped with the necessary equipment (hands) to manipulate it's environment, and often times learning from other species as how to better take advantage of presented opportunities (for instance the same can be said for bears learning to take advantage of garbage dumps, of course without the aide of hands.)

Attributing more intelligence to them then need be to explain documented observed behavior is nothing but being romantic about them. They do not exhibit a language, tool use or building practice that can be for certain claimed attributable to them and that we recognized as such. Family unit observations are very infrequent, with some barely cohesive enough to even be compared as such. I think they are probably more intelligent than a bear or dog, but that is the extent of it.

I'd be very curious what facts you are basing those asumptions on. Care to specify?

Admin

What is it with Southerners and snakes anyway? There seems to be a phobia there yet things like gators, and ginormis feral pigs not so much. What's up with that, Chris?

"What's up with that" is that we Southerners have superhuman strength and ninja-esk stealth so we find wrestling deer, wild boar and Alligators by hand to be much more challenging that chopping up a little ole snake-Heck that's boring.;)

Guest fenris

"What's up with that" is that we Southerners have superhuman strength and ninja-esk stealth so we find wrestling deer, wild boar and Alligators by hand to be much more challenging that chopping up a little ole snake-Heck that's boring.;)

You would think someone would get a cape or something along with all those nifty powers

;)

I think if you take the average person out into the wilderness, drop them off and expect them to survive, their survival time is likely measured in days. Chris B.

Chris, Dear Friend, it could be a matter of hours in some cases. :wacko: I have been told to hug a tree if ever lost.

How many people do that? People wander off so far away from where they realized that they were lost, that it can take days to find them, if they are even found!

There needs to be signs that say: *Hug a Tree* if ever lost... :(

Is there cell phone service in the woods? :blink:

They can light cigarettes according to at least one poster on this board.

You are kidding, correct? It takes fire to light up a cigarette, so where do they purchase said matches and cigarettes?

Do they roll their own, and hit rocks together for fire? :blink:

Fenris said:

This can be a big plus for researchers in that if we can develop a reasonable model for specific behaviors of the animal, we might be able to predict certain occurrences happening, that they themselves would be helpless to prevent. I am not talking about being in such and such a place the week of such and such, but more like - these three areas have had activity during a specific time of year and what they all have in common is such and such. By placing resources at these three locations during that time, and monitoring what is common between them, it may be possible to encounter one. These three places would have to be in close proximity to one another to be considered part of a singular individuals range, and thus a singular individuals behavioral pattern. I feel the model for these animals (that is what I think they are) can be developed from the other great apes, with behavioral inclusions from comparable life strategies, those large mammals of a more local variety (such as bears).

Susi says:

I think that you are absolutely brilliant! Are we doing anything like this anywhere?

**** dirty ape said:

I personally do not believe them to be intelligent enough to know that their own behavior is being dictated by survival of the fittest scenarios. What I mean by this is that they probably do not understand why they do certain things and so place blame externally.

Susi asks:

Why place blame on anything or something? Where does the blame come from? Animals are placing blame on themselves, or each other?

They do things that are instinctual.

Bf, like essentially all wild animals, have instincts to aid their survival. Survival is the prime goal of all creatures, including man. I am ignoring mental illness causing harm or suicide. That does not apply here.

Attributing more intelligence to them then need be to explain documented observed behavior is nothing but being romantic about them.

Observed behavior..... They have proven themselves to be more clever than the researchers that have pursued them.

Maybe the critter's just wired differently than us (If it's out there), and knows it's better to avoid us. I think it potentially niave to think all other primates are automatically wired to dominate the way humans are.

But there are many ways to dominate an environment. It doesn't all have to do with clovis points and stealth bombers. And I think history has proven that two competing hominid species for resources has a eventually winner. And the winner seems to have been the smarter of the two species.

The truth is in our "formative" years many other uber predators were not beat by us by own brawn, we just ate up all their food supply and they starved out, so the scientists would have us believe.

I think there are many factors at work, but out competing another species for resources is absolutely one good example of how brain power passively kills off the competition.

Again, Bigfoot cannot be any where near the level of intelligence as a human. It's my opinion that they exist at our fringe, trying to NOT directly compete with us for resources. But even then, humans log forests, and dam up rivers and kill salmon runs, we take resources and utilize them for ourselves not because we are trying to eradicate bigfoot. But because we are intelligent and we choose to take the lion's share of resources for ourselves to make our lives easier and our offspring more viable.