What Got You Interested In Bf ?

Guest Lesmore

Guest Dr. Boogie

Too easy! A three minute viewing at close range by a (former?)park ranger just a few years back, and a great photo from a German tourist........Plus stories from the adjacent mainland in Victoria. That one is just a matter of time. Let's not head off-topic though.

Mike

Yes, I too follow developments pretty closely on that topic, www.thylacoleo.com has a small forum that I find good for the latest news.

Well, whatever may have lived in the UK in mediaevel times most certainly doesn't live here now. There is no wild-wood left at all. No woodland anywhere in the country isn't walked through or ridden through (on bike or horseback) every day by people. There are no reports of "wild-men", and I don't suppose there is an unbroken piece of woodland (other than managed coniferous plantations.........non-native, so with virtually nil wildlfife) bigger than 10 square miles. We are an extremely crowded little corner of the planet.

There have actually been some reports, in very recent times, of brief sightings of what have been claimed to look like Bigfoot-ish hairy giants, in assorted locations in Great Britain. Perhaps the one which has received most prominence, was at Bolam Lake in Northumberland early in 2003 (several simultaneous "witnesses") -- with a similar entity reported seen in the area, in spring 2002. The Bolam "creature" was reported as about 8 feet tall. Another British location, with multiple sighting reports of similar figures, is the large wooded area of Cannock Chase (West Midlands of England), quite close to where I live.

IMO, if any of these reports are about anything existing, in any way, outside the heads of those who claim sightings; then the paranormal / supernatural has got to be somehow in play (and this is liable to be a rapid route to getting into hot water on BFF !). I'm with MikeG in being completely unable to "buy" an undetected, flesh-and-blood breeding population of giant ape-men-or-similar, anywehere in the British Isles.

Edited by Thady

There have actually been some reports,......... Perhaps the one which has received most prominence, was at Bolam Lake in Northumberland early in 2003 .......

Yep. I knew of it. But because the total area of woodland, including the lake, is a triangle roughly 650 metres (700 yards) by 350 metres (400 yards), entirely surrounded by large areas of open farmland, and criss-crossed by apparently well used public footpaths, it is completely ridiculous to think that a family of hairy hominids could have sustained themselves there for days, let alone hundreds of years, without being seen so regularly as to be local celebrites. They'd be so well known they would be put on the electoral register!!

IMO, if any of these reports are about anything existing, in any way, outside the heads of those who claim sightings; then the paranormal / supernatural has got to be somehow in play (and this is liable to be a rapid route to getting into hot water on BFF !). I'm with MikeG in being completely unable to "buy" an undetected, flesh-and-blood breeding population of giant ape-men-or-similar, anywehere in the British Isles.

Cannock Chase is about 7km (4 miles) by about 3km (2 miles), crossed by about 7 roads and a railway line, plus a large network of footpaths. It is jammed in between 4 urban centres, and is walked and ridden in by hundreds of people every day of the year. I'm with Thady. If anyone thinks that a population of anything unknown at all could live in there, then they're, frankly, deluding themselves.

My bold. That's where I think lies the best chances of finding a UK wild man.

Mike

I was just wondering about ancient legends Mike,wondering if these tails of hairy men where from the days of encroachment, or just old lore. There may not be much left there,but maybe there are some historical references you new of. When I went to school, we where taught the European population basically absorbed the Neanderthal. Although the theory presented in the Super Predator clip is the Neanderthal actually raped their way into our Dna. Realizing of course my time line is a mile off,but maybe that's what sparked the legends, or the inspiration for the paintings?

However, I can always research it myself,just thought you might know a little on it all.

I used to think (and sometimes still do) that wild-man/troll stories were originally invented when humans first met bears. Bears never existed south of the Sahara desert and most african tribes don't have stories like BF. So I thought a link could be there. Bears are found in most of the locales where BF-type creatures are reported. Of course neanderthal man was probably rather troll-like to begin with. Trolls eat humans and bears have been known to eat humans and there is some evidence that neanderthals ate at least other neanderthals so either could have been an origin for these sorts of stories. All human lineages outside of Africa had to go through neanderthal territory in the middle-east. So at least they all could have gotten the story before heading out to their separate corners of the world.

Of course if BF is real then my theory is moot. :blob:

What first really got me on Sasquatch was probably taking a week or two of holidays with my dad in the mountains every single summer, mostly hiking. We would always be hiking on some remote trail and I remember many times him and my uncle saying imagine there was a Sasquatch behind that tree/rock/cliff/etc. Then they would get talking about it and then that night around the fire it would come up again and I would be scared to death. They definitely got it from their father who had some of the first editions of John Green's books, which I now have, and was always fascinated by the unexplainable. I always was fascinated by the mysterious/scary/unexplained/horror/paranormal stuff and I guess the Sasquatch subject really stayed with me. I also remember seeing the PGF when I was a kid and that totally blew me away. There was also some supposed pictures in the David Thompson Resort that I remember seeing as a child that also impacted me. Unfortunately no one knows where those pictures went.

Edited by AlbertaSasquatch

Guest Kronprinz Adam

What story, event, experience, film, individual, etc., about Bigfoot was the most convincing to you, got you interested ?

Perhaps it was experiencing, reading, hearing from others or watching the story unfold on a TV screen...that first piqued your interest in Bigfoot.

In my case it was going to the Patterson- Gimlin presentation 40 odd years ago at the local civic auditorium. I recall Mr. Patterson very clearly answering questions from the audience, the film....the whole thing.

Obviously it made quite an impression on my teenage mind.

What was it for you ?

Hi!!! I got interested in Bigfoot since I saw "In Search of..." in the early 80s...I was 4-5 years old and I saw in the late night TV, I was scared but I became fascinated with the subject. My father used to but many magazines back in the 80s at a local store...I found a magazine about mysteries (it was a little scary because it had some articles about the occult), and it had an article about Bigfoot, very complete, describing several native Sasquatch legends, the story of Ape Canyon, Albert Ostman, and the findings of large skeletons of "people" in some caves in the USA. Then I found some old Reader's Digest magazines about the Yeti (50s) and the Patterson Film (late 60s)!!!

Greetings.

K. Adam.

I used to think (and sometimes still do) that wild-man/troll stories were originally invented when humans first met bears. Bears never existed south of the Sahara desert and most african tribes don't have stories like BF. So I thought a link could be there. Bears are found in most of the locales where BF-type creatures are reported. Of course neanderthal man was probably rather troll-like to begin with. Trolls eat humans and bears have been known to eat humans and there is some evidence that neanderthals ate at least other neanderthals so either could have been an origin for these sorts of stories. All human lineages outside of Africa had to go through neanderthal territory in the middle-east. So at least they all could have gotten the story before heading out to their separate corners of the world.

Of course if BF is real then my theory is moot. :blob:

i remember only to have read a story somewhere in the web, about a desert Yeti creature in Tunisia or Algeria..I remember there was some workers from an oil company and they wake up at night to discover a Yeti creature hidden below the truck...they also mentioned an arabian name for the creature...

Some european traditions and folklore tell about "bear-men", but some researches suggest that the original legends were related to wild hominoids...which got dissapeared, so the legend slowly was transformed into "bear-men". Think about giants, ogres, the trolls you mentioned...and there are more, some asian and central-american cultures have traditions about wild "gorilla-men", although gorillas only live in Africa. Did people imagined all of these, or they had contact with relic hominoids in the past?

Greetings.

K. Adam,