A Beginners Guide

Guest Ambermae

Guest Ambermae

I'm new to the subject of Bigfoot and i found it difficult to know where to start, so i thought it would be a nice idea as this is the new BFF to have a place where all people new to Bigfoot could go and get tips and links on where to start with the whole Bigfoot thing.

Could some of the more experienced Bigfooters help us newbies out please?

Thanks

Guest Lesmore

Ambermae,

What I would suggest is to read some books on the subject of Bigfoot. There are quite a few, but two that I would recommend and that you may be able to get from your local library are:

• Sasquatch Legend meets Science.... by Dr. Jeff Meldrum
  • The Field Guide to Bigfoot and other Mystery Primates, by Loren Coleman and Patrick Huyghe

There are a lot more publications, but these two books are relatively current.

Dr. Meldrum brings a scientific and I might add, a very interesting approach to the question of Sasquatch or Bigfoot.

Loren Coleman has a wealth of knowledge and information and his book (Field Guide) is an excellent read and reference book.

I'm sure you will also garner a lot of info on this website.

Welcome and good luck, on your foray into things Bigfoot.

Les

BFF Patron

The old and revised Stan Courtney's Squatchmarks still sets the standard for most comprehensive one-stop bookmark database. It's got some broken links but what database wouldn't with that many entries? :lol:

http://www.stancourt...hmarks-revised/

http://www.stancourtney.com/squatchmarks.html

Also, Bobbie Short's http://www.bigfootencounters.com links to a number of scientific papers considered "must reading" for those that think there is no data behind the research.

Ambermae,

I've always found John Greens book Apes Among Us to be the best. It is older, but the amount of reports is truely a fountain of information.

Welcome, an I hope ya enjoy.

Pat...

Guest BCCryptid

Ambermae,

I've always found John Greens book Apes Among Us to be the best. It is older, but the amount of reports is truely a fountain of information.

Welcome, an I hope ya enjoy.

Pat...

John Bindernagel: http://www.bigfootbiologist.org/

A real treat to hear a seasoned wildlife biologist discuss this incredible undiscovered animal.

Also, Bobbie Short's http://www.bigfootencounters.com links to a number of scientific papers considered "must reading" for those that think there is no data behind the research.

Ambermae,bipedalist is right on about bigfootencounters.com,tons of info,"science" based,"classic tales"you name it,more reading than you could imagine about BF. Enjoy! ;)

I would suggest that you read all the books and forums you can find. When you have learned everything then buy some camping gear and USE it. None of the printed knowledge as good as getting out to where Bigfoot lives and learning on your own. The books will help you to know what to look and listen for, but until you have a personal encounter, it is all theory. You will never have an encounter at your desk. Besides, camping is fun!!!

. . . where to start with the whole Bigfoot thing.

Hi Ambermae,

I'm going to suggest that reading some of the books recommended so far will provide some sense of why bigfooters believe such creatures to be real. They won't necessarily provide the insight to critically evaluate the claims in those very books. For that, keep checking here and the JREF. If you read something that makes you think, "Hey, but what about . . ?" then just start a thread on that topic here and folks will pick it apart or prop it up.

Miss Ambermae,

Until you get to the point of wanting (or being able) to do actual field work, I would highly recommend all of the above. In addition, don't be afraid to use the search engines (Google, etc.). If you come across an interesting post and someone, something or someplace is named in that post.....search it. There are a myriad of forums out there that are not BF related that cover topics about BF. I've either found or been led to as much information from non-BF forums as I have the ones devoted to Bigfoot and/or the quest for. If you put enough effort into it you can get more information than you probably want or need! I often found myself running in circles, going back from article to article, picking and searching. That way you don't just "see" one side or the other, but you get a bigger picture of the whole phenomenon and the people that are seriously involved.

Guest Llawgoch

I would suggest that you read all the books and forums you can find. When you have learned everything then buy some camping gear and USE it. None of the printed knowledge as good as getting out to where Bigfoot lives and learning on your own. The books will help you to know what to look and listen for, but until you have a personal encounter, it is all theory. You will never have an encounter at your desk. Besides, camping is fun!!!

The Gower's very nice this time of year, but I'm not sure a weekend at Rhossili is going to tell her all that much about Bigfoot.

Ambermae, I find that a thorough understanding of A Comprehensive Guide to Monty Python's Flying Circus essential to good BF research.

It's pretty hard to attack this subject without a good sense of humor. :P

Guest Ambermae

The Gower's very nice this time of year, but I'm not sure a weekend at Rhossili is going to tell her all that much about Bigfoot.

Lol, yeah i spent some of last weekend down Port Eynon, no Bigfoot though :P

Ambermae, I find that a thorough understanding of A Comprehensive Guide to Monty Python's Flying Circus essential to good BF research.

It's pretty hard to attack this subject without a good sense of humor. :P

I am british, so i have a fine understanding of Monty Python's Flying Circus of course, especially the Parrot Sketch! ;)

I agree.I'm still waiting for the definitive sighting.

It's worth remembering that the chances of encountering Bigfoot while camping out in woodland in the UK is almost identical to those of seeing one in the Pacific North West...

But wherever you go camping, not only is it great fun but you DO learn something about the bigfoot phenomena - after three days of coldness, fatigue and (if you're in Wales) damp, and after spending this time staring at nothing but trees, you'll appreciate how the human mind can be affected by its surroundings. You won't see a sasquatch but you may have a little bit of insight into the mental state of some of those that do.

It's worth remembering that the chances of encountering Bigfoot while camping out in woodland in the UK is almost identical to those of seeing one in the Pacific North West...

But wherever you go camping, not only is it great fun but you DO learn something about the bigfoot phenomena - after three days of coldness, fatigue and (if you're in Wales) damp, and after spending this time staring at nothing but trees, you'll appreciate how the human mind can be affected by its surroundings. You won't see a sasquatch but you may have a little bit of insight into the mental state of some of those that do.

LOL, do you have a source to back that up? If what you are saying is true, then we would see and hear about a lot more sightings there