Creature Suit Analysis Part 10 - Flab

Bill

BFF Patron
Wow...very interesting. Even though I've seen it before it always catches my attention.

Here's a video of showing an animated comparison of human, australopithecus and bonobo skeletons walking next to one another...it's at approximately 3 minutes into this 17+minute talk. You might find the rest of it interesting as well.

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/76

can't get this link to work, are you sure?

Bipedalist: try just going to ted.com and search for "bonobo" where you'll find a presentation for Susan Savage-Rumbaugh. It's a video about 18minutes and the section with the animation comparing the walking skeletons is at 3 minutes or there about. Hope that works...

BFF Patron
Bipedalist: try just going to ted.com and search for "bonobo" where you'll find a presentation for Susan Savage-Rumbaugh. It's a video about 18minutes and the section with the animation comparing the walking skeletons is at 3 minutes or there about. Hope that works...

Thanks, I was using firefox and had to cutand paste the link and then it worked, don't know what happened first time, anyway that was

an excellent clip of the comparative bipedal skeletal motions of the various great apes, the fluid bonobo armswing looked alot like the LMS

animation of Patty armswing I thought.. The widebased gate of the bonobo was similar in ways too.

Guest Remember November

Hey Bill,

found these 2 images. It has to be the same suit. The bulges do not appear though in this image.

gorrsuit.jpg

To all

On the gorilla and Bonobos walking upright, just wanted to add a personal observation. I worked with an animal trainer, Ralph helfer, of gentle jungle, in the 80's and he had a lot of chimps. One was named Oliver, and he could walk upright effortlessly and did so on his own, not just on a trainer's command. It was erie, because his posture was straight up, almost fashion model straight (although for looks, he'd never get the job).

So I've seen it for real, but hadn't realized that there was good documentation of other primates doing so. Thought back then it was an anomoly.

Bill

To all

On the gorilla and Bonobos walking upright, just wanted to add a personal observation. I worked with an animal trainer, Ralph helfer, of gentle jungle, in the 80's and he had a lot of chimps. One was named Oliver, and he could walk upright effortlessly and did so on his own, not just on a trainer's command. It was erie, because his posture was straight up, almost fashion model straight (although for looks, he'd never get the job).

So I've seen it for real, but hadn't realized that there was good documentation of other primates doing so. Thought back then it was an anomoly.

Bill

Hi Bill

Yes Oliver was certainly an enigma. I think at one point even touted as "bigfoot" himself (correct me if I'm wrong). I've seen a documentary or two about Oliver, the names of these escape me, but in them Olivers DNA is tested and its proven that he was just a common chimp. Still a fascinating story and I believe Oliver may even be alive still today.

KTB

BTW Bill keep these informative threads coming theres not enough words to express how informative they are! :blink:

Fascinating that you guys know about oliver.

In 1980, when Ralph owned him, Ralph did talk anout the prospect he was somehow different from the standard chimpanzee and there was a list of attributes about him suggesting perhaps another species, if I recall.

But I never followed it to se what was finally determined about him.

Bill

Guest Remember November

The doc I watched about Oliver talked about how he had no hair on his face. Years later when they found him, there was gray hair on his aged face, indicating his owners were shaving his face to make him look more human.

Fascinating that you guys know about oliver.

In 1980, when Ralph owned him, Ralph did talk anout the prospect he was somehow different from the standard chimpanzee and there was a list of attributes about him suggesting perhaps another species, if I recall.

But I never followed it to se what was finally determined about him.

Bill

Oliver's been a popular topic among cryptid/BF fans.

And I'm with Keeping the Blade, Bill, in my appreciation for the intelligent, informed, unique perspective you've brought to this forum! You rock!

RN:

I know Oliver wasn't "shaved' when I worked with him (made him up as a gorilla in 1981 to pitch the gorilla job for Congo. Got the job, but then the studio canceled the film). But Ralph sold him off a few years later, so maybe the next owner did, to hype the "mystery".

Incorrigible:

thanks.

Guest Remember November

Found this fourth image, cant tell if its the same suit though. Also still no indication as to what film this is from.

SUIT.jpg

gorrsuit.jpg

Guest Crowlogic

I remember the Oliver story very well. It was thought for a while that there had been surgery conducted on him in Japan to allow for the upright walking.

Guest Apeman

We have a brief entry on Oliver ("just the fact's M'am") in the Sqwiki....that could use some elaboration if anyone has the motivation.

Bill- As a relative newcomer you might not be aware of the Squatchopedia, which is our own version of a Bigfoot Wiki that none of us seem to use often enough but should be a really good resource for us all. Feel free to contribute and edit or just add missing topics but it's mostly supposed to be a reference for things like "What was the deal with that chimp Oliver?" :blink:

-A

PS- Before anyone goes and copies the Wikipedia entry.... the idea of the Sqwiki (for subjects like this) is to distill subjects down to their bigfoot relevance for concise reference. So links to Wikipedia are a good idea but we've deliberately avoided simply duplicating information that is otherwise just a click away.

Edited by Apeman

• gigantor unpinned this topic