When To Shoot Or When To Run Or Even Hide?

Guest tracker

BFF Patron

Personally, if sasquatch is charging, I'm dropping everything, grabbing my keys, and getting in the car/truck and leaving. There will be no packing.

You wouldn't be the first Jodie, nor the last. According to some sighting reports some people abandon their camp and stuff (except for the two campers that folded their cooking steaks up in their stove and chucked it in the truck, lol, priorities are priorities you know :lol: ) and never come back to retrieve it, then again some are bold enough to go back and collect their stuff.

Guest TooRisky

I say drop to the ground, get into the fetal position... And then go to your happy place.... Why not try the 4th and most logical choice, Stand there in wonderment and enjoy this fleeting gift and life changing moment...

Stop making Sasquatch into some frigging monster... If your head cannot deal with it, stay out of the woods...!!!

Edited by masterbarber
Unnecessary increase in Font size

Admin

Please remember that everyone is entitled to their opinion and I think we can all review and comment on these opinions and information like adults.

Guest vilnoori

The more aggressive encounters seem to be reported less often? They go unreported for many years and so we end up with a data base mostly of timid or brief encounters. Maybe because these timid encounters are also more believable?

Anyways we start assuming that they are always gentle and timid because of the reports we do have. Or we start over humanizing them believing they will do no harm. Which is usually cured once you run into them but you are caught unprepared thinking them to be tame.

This is a factor I've been thinking of somewhat lately.

I think a lot of it has to do with location.

If its a priv property, aggression seems to be signficantly less reported.

If its THEIR property, that might be a factor to take into consideration.

If some rarely come into contact with people, does it not seem their reactions

might be more aggressive especially if they do not want the contact ?

I know of a few unreported examples of people who were in BF areas (and were missing) but I do not

know there is a verified correlation between missing people and THEM. But.. could be. Several

examples of outback disappearances mentioned to me by different friends suggest it happened.

So.. you never know I guess... but clearly, across the board it seems they work hard not to touch

us.

Edited by treeknocker

Guest tracker

Yea, their not monsters as TooRisky mentions but they are wild. And they do tend to catch most witnesses off guard to say the least. So taliking about aggressive encounters as rare as they are may help someone. I am thinking about the campers or hikers that are far from help or their vehicles. The encounters where your car or cabin in near the answers easy. Just retreat and wait it out if the big guys are not on their best behaviour and your scared.

Guest tracker

I think a lot of it has to do with location.

If its a priv property, aggression seems to be signficantly less reported.

If its THEIR property, that might be a factor to take into consideration.

If some rarely come into contact with people, does it not seem their reactions

might be more aggressive especially if they do not want the contact ?

I know of a few unreported examples of people who were in BF areas (and were missing) but I do not

know there is a verified correlation between missing people and THEM. But.. could be. Several

examples of outback disappearances mentioned to me by different friends suggest it happened.

So.. you never know I guess... but clearly, across the board it seems they work hard not to touch

us.

Hey TK can you post some links to the reports with the missing people? Then i got to ask, how would we know anyways if something did happen? Same goes for bear, cougar or wolf attacks. JMO. CYA. :D tracker.

What about if you or your camp is being harrased or at least you think it is. This could be a one night occurence or for several nights until you leave. So like i said above, great if you have a rifle but what if you don't?

You already screwed up by showing up to an intimidation party without any intimidation.

Where one goes from there, I haven't a clue. I always bring mine.

Guest tracker

You already screwed up by showing up to an intimidation party without any intimidation.

Where one goes from there, I haven't a clue. I always bring mine.

Yea i know where your coming from Hunster, I've been in some remote wild places too like Alaska. A lot of people camp in state parks like YNP, Jasper and Denali. Your not allowed rifles in Denali correct? So families camping/hiking there might have some problems because it's a use at your own risk policy. But your talking about off the grid camping right? Where of course you can bring weapons for defense in certain areas and you should.

Guest squatchrider

I say drop to the ground, get into the fetal position... And then go to your happy place.... Why not try the 4th and most logical choice, Stand there in wonderment and enjoy this fleeting gift and life changing moment...

Stop making Sasquatch into some frigging monster... If your head cannot deal with it, stay out of the woods...!!!

I have asked on another thread, and since you are harassing people for how they respond to seeing a Bigfoot will now ask again: Exactly how do I prepare myself for seeing a huge bipedal creature out in the woods? I want to think that I could stop myself from panicing and going into flight mode to appreciate what I was seeing but I've never run into a creature like this so I'm not sure. Are there any mental or physical exercises recommended for preparing myself for an encounter like this?

Edited by squatchrider

Squatchrider, I do not think you can prepare for the unknown.I used to use this mantra from the book "Dune" by Frank Herbert. Paul Atrides says it when he is facing the gom jabbar. Say it over and over with slow deep breaths, works for me, but it's not been tested against bigfoot :)

Here is the entire qoute:

“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear... And when it is gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear is gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.â€

Maybe we can identify things that we would see that would be intimidating and other things that we see that would not be?

For example, if you are hiking or fishing and look up and see a figure that looks like a man in the distance say 100 yd out or more, going across

the edge of the meadow or standing in the trees and then walking off.... I think that is a lot easier to take than if you were walking down the path and turn to look and there is a sasquatch 25 yd behind you looking at you obviously following. These folks in autos who all of a sudden realize there is something outside the window, turn look and look right into the face of an apelike somewhat humanlike big hairy thing would be a charge most of us would find unnerving. Regarding shooting, running and hiding.. luckily most reports suggest nothing bad is going to happen no matter what you do.. but that would be the last thing in your head if a close encounter happened. Getting used to something that is not even documented to exist has to be a difficulty.. In my case I usually do stuff alone so I cannot imagine I represent a threat and as a result, still am waiting for a violent defensive reaction. Well, not really ! At least a loud one, that has happened only once from a distance away so it was more of an anomaly than something to be intimidated by. I saw nothing so that helped as well. fgrffgfffffffffftfffffft would be my reaction if I saw one on the road in the dark walking toward me.. definitely in the car I think would be the normal reaction. Without a car... what do you do? If you are in the middle of nowhere or at a campsite, it reminds me of one of my favorite reports. The guy got out of the tent and hunkered down in a crevice of a rock formation. The creature came into the campsite, looked at him and then left and apparently in displaced tension began ripping logs or throwing rocks. It never touched him.

Couple thoughts:

First with respect to weapons, if you are not fully prepared to draw down and kill something or someone every time you handle the weapon, you shouldn't be handling it - this from a hunting or self-defense point of view. If you have not reconciled using the tool you brought (weapon) to do mortal harm at the right time (when hunting or in self-defense), the odds are that the tool you brought (weapon) will be used against you. In the case of a human opponent, it will probably be taken and used as intended. In the case of a Squatch, it will probably be taken and used as a suppository, on you.

Second, every weapon has appropriate uses and appropriate ranges, know them or be prepared for bad results - like when a heart shot fails to stop the charging Grizzly until AFTER he reaches your position and uses your forearm as a toothpick.

Specific to the OP, the response will be dependent on each person's goals, beliefs, and instincts at the time. While I have no intention of actively seeking out a Squatch to bring back a sample, dead or alive, were I to encounter one in the wild, it would admittedly be tempting to try and bring back a sample, dead or alive, just to serve up some crow and finally gain the acceptance of this animal.

Since I believe they are animal, I would have less reservation about taking one, but I am not a hunter. If I drew down and saw what I recognize as human, I would not shoot.

I don't believe that there is any positive outcome for either of us, if one is violent or intent on causing harm. I can't run faster, and even in my Jeep there are limitations. If threatened I would not hesitate to try and take one down by whatever means available, and that would typically be .45ACP, occasionally a 12ga pump, and sometimes a FN-FAL in .308.

Edited by infoman

Your not allowed rifles in Denali correct?

Not any more.

Forty years or so you could have one and get away with it.

Hell, now I don't think you can have a bicycle without a special permit.

I lived there in the old days. It was pretty lonely.

So families camping/hiking there might have some problems because it's a use at your own risk policy.

It's definately "use at your own risk" in terms of liability, but not with regard to behavior.

It's more of a police state with regard to behavior.

But your talking about off the grid camping right?

That's where I go.

Where of course you can bring weapons for defense in certain areas and you should.

Where I bring weapons for offense.

And I should.............

• masterbarber locked and unlocked this topic
  • masterbarber locked this topic