Bigfoot Or Sasquatch?

Guest MikeG

Guest MikeG

So, which is it? Is this a regional thing? Might this be reflected in the nomenclature post-description (Homo sapiens sasquatchii/ Homo sapiens magnapede)?

I have had a search and found nothing on this, so forgive me if I have missed an old thread.

Mike

To me, "Bigfoot" has always referred to a sort of character; like a mythological being. "Sasquatch" actually refers to the animal itself. So if I am out in the woods and I see a living breathing animal, it wouldn't be Bigfoot, it would be a sasquatch. If I could draw an analogy, Bigfoot is to sasquatch as Dracula is to vampire (if that makes any sense).

Guest Dudlow

B) Bigfoot is the American word and Sasquatch is a Canadian First Nations word gererally translated as hairy giant of the forest.

- Dudlow

Guest Twilight Fan

Thank god for ANY term as long as it isn't the highly overused and slightly disturbing: "SQUATCH."

The name Bigfoot was first used by the humbolt times (Califorina) with the picture of jerry crew with a plaster cast. Sasquatch according to resarchers John Green and Ivan T. Sanderson was first coined in the 1920 by J.W. Burns who combined serveral local (Canadan) names to coin the word sasquatch.

Edited by Jeff Albertson

BFF Patron

I like BF or Bigfoot when I'm in a hurry and Sasquatch when I've got the time to attend to spelling, netiquette, proper form, dressing to impress and round-about good humor and fair play.

I'm fond of the term "squatch" , and will use it often... especially here. When you think about it, it's nothing more than saying sasquatch in a shorted down style. If it's good enough for Bobo (who's hit show brought many of the recent newbies here, in the first place) to say.. it's good enough for me. "Bigfoot" for me.. will be shortened to BF. Not the most important conversation of the day, but I didn't start it either :derisive:

Guest JiggyPotamus

Recently I have only been using bigfoot. I decided that sasquatch, being an amalgamation of different words, is not the best choice. I do not agree that bigfoot is a good choice, but it is hard to decide on a specific Native American name to apply to the entire species. And I do think we should use a NA word, since they were saying this animal was real long before a white man ever told them it wasn't.

BFF Patron

I have to say that if I must use a mouthful of syllables to describe my squatch.... I prefer Chiye-tanka........

Lakota/Dakota derivative meaning Big elder brother.......

or as I like to think of it...... the running bipedal bison

Edited by bipedalist

Guest watch1

I was going to list that one indiefoot.

It is just a local name used among those in the South it seems.

I like Boogers better than Squatch. LOL

Mike (watch1)

Guest MikeG

Thanks for the replies so far. Does any area exclusively use some of the other names, such as skookum, or at least give them priority over Sasquatch or Bigfoot?

Any comments on the possible taxonomy?

Mike

Guest Bipedal Ape

I like squatch. It rolls off the tongue nicely. Also it can be used as an adjective to describe almost anything. "That looks squatchy"

Meldrum likes Sasquatch better than Bigfoot, as do I, but I like Yeti more, though not part of this discussion.

Edited by Jsydor