Oddness...

VAfooter

Admin

I have a couple of strange incidents that while most likely not BF related, are weird. Hopefully somebody can explain them to me!

1) Back in December, I got up to go downstairs and get a drink. While down there I opened up the back door to check on our deck. It was supposed to rain later and I wanted to see if I had left something on the deck. While I was standing there, off in the distance I heard "Wah, wah, wah....wah". Note that this was between 0200 and 0300. The first three "wahs" occurred over a period of 5-6 seconds, pretty much equally spaced apart. The fourth was 3-4 seconds later. The "wah" sound was not made by a baby, it sounded more like an adult or something older making the sounds. It was very calm and without any sort of passion or excitement. Just as if you walked out into your backyard and said "wah" in a loud monotone, but not shouted.

Owl...or something else?

2) Today on the way home from work I was passing through some mixed farm/forest land. This land butts up next to Ft. AP Hill. I suddenly got a good long whiff of something dead with sewage mixed in. This went on for about several seconds and then faded. Very shortly down the road, it came back again for about the same length of time. Shortly after smelling it the second time, I noticed a tractor that was in the process of spraying fields in preparation for the upcoming planting season. Each time the smell lasted for 10-12 seconds or so.

Are there commercial soil treatments that smell like a mix of death/sewage? It was pretty foul.

Your assistance is appreciated!!!!

There are fertilizers that smell very bad,the farmers around here spray their fields with it,and it smells like an out house all day.

Admin

That is what I figured after seeing the tractor, but I have not smelled that before.

Parts of Frederick Co. Maryland, mostly around Walkersville, and a stretch of Rt. 81 from Hagerstown, Md to Chambersburg, Pa smells like the worst porta john you could ever imagine. I never understood how people that live close to the fields can live with it. I've come close to losing my lunch just driving through it.

The 'wah' sound might be some type of nightjar possibly?

If it sounds the way you're spelling it, than it doesn't sound much like an owl I've ever heard.

Guest bsruther

The wife and I heard a wah sound last fall. We were sitting in the back yard one evening, in front of a propane heater and from the edge of the woods comes a sudden wah,wah,wah,wah. We were sitting 50-75 yards from the woods and even with the hiss of the heater, we heard the sound very plainly. It was a frantic sounding vocalization and the W sound was very clear. The woods behind us is at least 300 acres. We are very observant of the local wildlife and know of no animal that could make this sound. We have had a lot of strange things happen around here that can't be explained.

Frogs make a lot of strange noises.

too cold for bull frogs?

apparently this is a fox call....similar?

another fox call.

Guest bsruther

The sound we heard wasn't like any of the above. I've heard fox and have caught some on the trail cam. This sound was much louder than a fox bark. The wah sounds were in rapid succession.

The wife and I heard a wah sound last fall. We were sitting in the back yard one evening, in front of a propane heater and from the edge of the woods comes a sudden wah,wah,wah,wah. We were sitting 50-75 yards from the woods and even with the hiss of the heater, we heard the sound very plainly. It was a frantic sounding vocalization and the W sound was very clear. The woods behind us is at least 300 acres. We are very observant of the local wildlife and know of no animal that could make this sound. We have had a lot of strange things happen around here that can't be explained.

If you listen to the sounds here, I think you might find a clip that is similar to the wah wah wah vocals you describe.

http://sasquatchresearch.net/vocalizations.html

Guest bsruther

Thanks for posting that SY, but I can't get the sound files to play. I played a bunch of red fox vocals for the wife and she says they don't match what we heard. Some of the vocalizations I found lean towards fox, as what we heard, but that could be just me, grasping at the most likely explanation.

That site takes some time to load the page. If you get it to work, listen to the bottom file on the right about halfway through the audio file. I bet it's closer than the fox recordings.

Guest bsruther

Ok, I got it to load this time and yes, it sounds very close to what we heard, almost exactly what I remembered hearing. Don't know what's making the sound on their recording, but yep, you were right. It was that loud too and the loudness is one of the things that made me doubt it was a fox. I don't think I'll let the wife hear this one, it might creep her out or even worse, she might think I'm a little nuttier than she already does.

Thanks again SY.

Admin
yes,liquid cow manure is used as spray fertilizer & it reeks. http://www.prlog.org...lf-courses.html

Came back by the next day and the smell was still there, although less dramatic. Still very foul though. So I have to go with the liquid fertilizer theory. Still working on the wah thing though.

Ok, I got it to load this time and yes, it sounds very close to what we heard, almost exactly what I remembered hearing. Don't know what's making the sound on their recording, but yep, you were right. It was that loud too and the loudness is one of the things that made me doubt it was a fox. I don't think I'll let the wife hear this one, it might creep her out or even worse, she might think I'm a little nuttier than she already does. Thanks again SY.

You're welcome, I think I'm getting squatchers envy here. :lol: Is there more forest out and surrounding that 300 acres adjoining your backyard? BTW the Sierra Sounds has a couple wah wah vocals in it also, as the subjects interact with Ron Moorehead. Perhaps it is squatch talk for "is someone there?" .