Parks Charging To Hunt Bigfoot. Nothings Free Anymore

Admin

I for one, would challenge that BS. Charge a fee to hunt something that is not recognized to exist. That's laughable. Take your best shot rangers, but remember, its not my job that would be on the line for harassing a park visitor. I would love to hear how they could prove you were looking for Bigfoot. By the time I got through with that Ranger wanna be he, or she, would be weedeating around parking lots.

Guest BFSleuth

Actually, our national parks charge a fee for conducting a business within the boundaries of a park. If you charge a fee for conducting a sasquatch seminar within a national park, you need a permit. You also need liability insurance.

If you aren't charging money, then there is no permit required.

End of story.

Sort of true. And that is there the confusion is. The Buffalo River site doesn't mention anything about a permit for business operations, only organized events like weddings, ash scattering, etc. Matt's response clears up a bunch of the confusion in this thread:

http://bigfootforums.com/index.php?/topic/29853-update-leader-of-bigfoot-expedition-cited-for-permit-violation/

Guest Dudlow

B) Additionally, per the comments of one of the rangers interviewed on the Matt Pruitt issue, a permit for Sasquatch hunting/observation woud probably not be granted, anyway, since the activity would be construed as a potentially harmful, harassing, practice that would upset the wildlife. Permits to study flora and fauna in national parks are generally reserved for credentialed professionals on sponsored applications.

- Dudlow.

This is crazy but true. I am in the process of obtaining permits to guide people though the National Forest on the federal level. One thing that helps me is the fact that I'm already a licensed wilderness guide in Washington state. You have to have a permit, and insurance to perform this activity. I was surprised at the fiery hoops, but better safe than sorry. The days of charging people for expeditions without a permit, guides license and insurance are over.

DR

Admin

Doing research in small numbers, preferably alone, is the way to go as not to draw attention to yourself. I don't need no stinking permit. Harumph!

Guest BFSleuth

I concur with Derekfoot, previously having been a guide in Washington State. Any time you accept money to guide someone in a park or national forest land, then you need to have permits and insurance. It's been years since I have done this, and I'm sure the level of red tape has only increased since I was active.

Each park will have its own set of rules. Some parks will only grant a concession to one or two guide companies and not allow any others. For many years Mt. Rainier would only allow one concession for guiding summit climbs as an example. Other parks would allow unlimited concessions as long as you did all the paperwork.

If you don't charge money then you are simply a group of private citizens enjoying the park.

Guest watch1

Always best to check the rules and regs. just to be on the safe side. You never know when you might run into some of these folks..LOL

Mike (watch1)

Guest slimwitless

If you don't charge money then you are simply a group of private citizens enjoying the park.

Why not charge a hefty fee for an official headband and commemorative jerky stick followed-up with a free bigfoot expedition?

Guest BFSleuth

lol!

I believe the standard park entrance fees only cover the park brochure and day pass sticker. You are confusing the headband and jerky with the Premium Day Pass Package. :)

But seriously, for anyone that is guiding anyone in the parks, you are best served to go through the process of getting a concession license and insurance. If for nothing else you want your legal and financial bases covered in the event that anything goes wrong. If a client twists an ankle on your watch and you don't have all that...

So then, could this be considered official recognizing of the species by the authorities? :0

If they're gonna charge for it, its got to be available or you could sue them for false advertising . ;)

Guest BFSleuth

It has nothing to do with recognizing a species. Any business conducted on public lands requires a permit.

If you are a private citizen or private group that go out to enjoy yourselves searching for BF there is no permit required. Once you are charging a fee, that's a business.

Guest Peter O.

I think they should pay. One reason I can think of is that they're not exactly a bunch of Leave No Trace hippies.

One of the articles on this said that after the fine the "group" still made between $9000 and $15,000 dollars. They are making enough to pay for a permit in the national park where they are conducting business, I mean taking people on an expidition, LOL.