Dismal Swamp Trip 4/8/2012

Guest Cervelo

Guest Cervelo

Paddle trip up the feeder ditch to Lake Drummond

First props go out to all the peeps here!

1fcd1842.jpg

Vid of the ditch

http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/yy242/RCM944/772deae0.mp4

Camp ground at the lock

http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/yy242/RCM944/e68f7f21.mp4

http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/yy242/RCM944/996cf63e.mp4

Lake Drummond

http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/yy242/RCM944/674ffb63.mp4

Some had asked about this place it, it was a perfect day to be on the water, make the trip if you can, let me know if I can help in anyway!

definitely a nice day for it.

from the looks of the drainage ditch i bet it gets thick w/ mosquitoes in the summer though.

nice video clips :thumbsup:

Thanks for positing the videos, Cerv. A far as I can remember, that campground video is the first vid of the USACE campground that I have ever seen. Up to now, all I have seen are photos....

Also, is the campground 'buggy' all the time {24 hours a day} during the summer, or mostly just in the evenings & @ night?

Edited by Kite-Squatch

Guest Cervelo

Kite,

I have never spent the nite at the campground.

Leaving my vehicle at the boat put in, is a problem since it will most likley be broken in to.

This is also the latest in the season I have been there, mostly go in fall and winter.

But from what Im told by the people I've talked to the bugs are unbearable in the summer.

I also spent about 45 minutes talking to a local yesterday and found out that part of the Swamp is Federal land patrolled by 3 officers and completely off limits, including no fly overs!

Might be BS but makes a great story!!!

Admin

Looked and could not find anything about GDS being prohibited airspace. Maybe some pilots out there can verify yes or no. It will be designated on their maps if it is.

Guest Cervelo

It's the second time I've heard this and both times was told its not the whole swamp just the part thats managed by the "Feds" love to know if it's true!

Guest Cervelo

I have not seen one but have heard the rumors for years!

Four creatures that have been reported that I would love to see in the swamp!

Gators

Black panthers

Ivory billed woodpecker

Bigfoot

One of these I think I have seen!;)

Guest wudewasa

Gators are likely to colonize/recolonize southeast VA due to the recent warmer climate that is developing. While transient individual are certain to go north, it would be interesting to see a breeding population occurring there.

Black panthers are a species that I'd love to see photographed.

Ivory billed woodpecker- a true dream of rediscovery, but I think that the species is extinct.

Bigfoot, hard to accept, but prove me wrong!

BFF Patron

Interesting that boomboxes and playback recorders are banned in the area due to adverse effects on birds and wildlife.

That one might save some Bigfooter some money.

Guest Cervelo

This place has got it hooks in me for a whole host of reasons, what animal would be disturbed by playback?

When I read that a couple of years ago thats what peaked my interest, its definately a place where the more I learn the less I know!

I had a local tell me in a discussion about the swamp (no Bigfoot talk) "there could be anything in there....every seen the movie Last of the Dogmen?"

Edited by Cervelo

BFF Patron

Well they claimed a certain species of bird had it's mating rituals upset by boomboxes and started nesting more regularly after the ban (maybe producing more offspring....but not sure) ...... sounds perhaps more like it was some nekkid birders to me though.... lol.

Dogmen huh? Maybe they like to break into cars....

Edited by bipedalist

Regarding the restricted airspace thing, my only GUESS would be that it is designated that way because the Great Dismal Swamp {GDS} is a wildlife refuge. If the airspace IS restricted, it should be designated on a current aeronautical chart.

Regarding leaving your vehicle overnight, I have more-than-once been to the spot where the feeder ditch meets the Dismal Swamp Canal along old Hwy. 17 - which is now the Dismal Swamp Trail - and I do not think I would be too keen on leaving my truck there overnight, either. You would have to arrange for someone to remove your vehicle{s}, and then return the next day.

Alligators: 'Stories' of people seeing a gator in the Dismal Swamp Canal turn up every great once-in-a-while. The Alligator River exists in central eastern North Carolina {south of the GDS swamp area}, and they named it that for a reason....