Albert Ostman

Guest OntarioSquatch

Guest OntarioSquatch

Imagine if his story were to be true. Sasquatches having conversations and all that. Maybe they are more like us than we realize.

SSR Team

- Regarding your second point, if I understand correctly, I think that trying to discount Ostman's story by saying it is impossible to see Mt. Baker from the possible area of his escape is not workable. Mt. Baker is visible from many areas within area of concern.

I'm with you BFS, i'm finding it hard to understand this other angle about Baker and it not being able to be seen from where he was.

Mountains of Baker's size ( 10,000 ft plus ) are CLEARLY visible from 100 plus miles, from more than that too on clear days.

Here's Rainier from Longview. Longview as per Rand Mcnally, is 126 miles to the South away from Paradise, WA which is on Rainier's slopes and Rainier is 25% taller than Baker so take that into consideration. That's a clear peak right there, something along the lines of what Ostman would have been looking at except North to South & it would have obviously been Baker's peak.

longview.jpg

Here's Rainier from the Capitol Forest. The Capitol Forest as per Rand Mcnally, is 124 miles to the West away from Paradise, WA which is on Rainier's slopes and Rainier is 25% taller than Baker so take that into consideration.

capitol1.jpg capitol2.jpg

You can even see Rainier from Portland on a clear day, and Portland is 155 miles away.

portland2.jpg

Guest BFSleuth

I agree. As I noted in the other thread I even saw Mt. Shasta from the summit of Mt. Rainier on a particularly cold and clear day. Granted, it was just a little pimple on the horizon, but I could tell what it was because of its location vis a vis the rest of the volcanoes and big mountains on down the Cascade range. That's a distance of well over 300 miles! Not all of it was visible, just the top, due to the curvature of the earth.

That was a pretty neat day to be on the summit of Rainier. The clearest day I ever had up there. In summer time the haze starts obscuring the Oregon peaks just past Mt. Jefferson on a good day, and I never had another winter day as clear as that one.

SSR Team

Absolutely LAL, i could definitely tell the difference between St Helens, Rainier, Adams, Baker & Mt Hood now, at all times, even in pictures that just showed individual mountains as opposed to pictures that showed them multiple mountains where they could be worked out.

Adams & Shasta i think i may have trouble with as i think they look very similar in shape.

Baker/Shuksan i think is pretty distinctive too.

Baker always seems to have the most snow on it to me in Winter too when i look at pictures, anyone know if that's my imagination or if there's any truth to it ?

Guest BFSleuth

Baker either has or is really close to having the record for snowfall in one winter. There is a reason why Baker is so popular for snowboarders.... :D yaaaaawhoooo!!!!!

Guest OntarioSquatch

Do you think Sasquatches would live around the base? It would seem convenient having a creek nearby with a forest.

Guest BFSleuth

There are a number of sighting reports in the near vicinity of Mt. Baker:

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=3518

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=6864

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=4392

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=10258

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=60

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=12997

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=4808

(The BFRO layer for Google Earth is an invaluable tool)

Baker has several square miles of glaciers which constantly feed several streams from all its flanks.

The habitat is ideal for bear, so would also be ideal for BF. Salmon spawning streams, ungulates, lots of vegetation at a variety of elevations (which gives an opportunity for eating prime vegetation at various stages of "ripeness" at any time by just going up or down).

But... back to the Ostman story...

Guest OntarioSquatch

Is Mt. Baker that same mountain albert was kidnapped around? If so, maybe it's worth a hike or two... Yehawwww!mtbaker.png

this is an interesting story,one of my favorites as well.

for being long before internet,pgf, monster quest etc.even with the yeti stuff back in the day, his details make for a good read in possible comparison to more modern reports.

it may be complete BS or an extraordinary account, but it would be a good adventure for someone with the interest & resources to go there & validate or debunk the claims concerning locations etc.

if true, imagine what would be going through your mind in such an ordeal.............

Edited by slicktrick

Absolutely LAL, i could definitely tell the difference between St Helens, Rainier, Adams, Baker & Mt Hood now, at all times, even in pictures that just showed individual mountains as opposed to pictures that showed them multiple mountains where they could be worked out.

Adams & Shasta i think i may have trouble with as i think they look very similar in shape.

Baker/Shuksan i think is pretty distinctive too.

Baker always seems to have the most snow on it to me in Winter too when i look at pictures, anyone know if that's my imagination or if there's any truth to it ?

Baker's the most northerly. Since Baker and Shasta are in different states and separated by Oregon you might confuse them in pictures but you couldn't if you were actually in the area.

if true, imagine what would be going through your mind in such an ordeal.............

Seems like Osterman took it pretty well, and didn't seem too afraid of them. The other fellow who was kidnapped from British Columbia stayed in a state of terror, paddled 40 odd miles to get home, and his hair turned white in a week. He had a bad case of post traumatic stress disorder and never really went far from the village. He thought they were going to eat him and freaked out.

Edited by georgerm

Guest brucescotland

If we assume the PGF is the real deal, Ostmans description of the female BF was almost identical to Patty ie, no waist, gooselike walk, hanging breasts etc (unable to tell if Patty had "bangs" as such hairdoo.) and his story came out in 1957 ten years before the PGF. Amongst other things his description of how they just squatted down and rose up without using hands for support has been witnessed many times since also. Some details of the story might of had arms and legs added or been exaggerated by Ostman, but i for one definately think something happened and he was in the company of BF against his will for a week or so.

wasnt there another one where a railroad guy got nabbed & the female bf supposedly licked his feet raw to prevent his escape?

read enough over at bigfootencounters,com and they start running together after a while,lol.

think ostman may have been a little too calm about it? i dont know, he seemed a plain fellow, might not have been a bad life for a single guy already used to being out there,living w/ the squatch....raising a little squatchy family of his own w/ his furry young bride :P

Guest BFSleuth

Is Mt. Baker that same mountain albert was kidnapped around? If so, maybe it's worth a hike or two... Yehawwww

Mt. Baker is in the USA, just south of the boarder below Vancouver. "Ostman's Escapade" (copyright filed.... :D) was well north of Vancouver, about 60-80 miles from Mt. Baker.

I think the reason that Mt. Baker has entered discussion in this thread and the prior Ostman thread is simply that some folks have discounted his story based on his saying that he saw Mt. Baker from the top of the last ridge he crossed before descending to the place he was eventually rescued. My posts regarding that have simply noted that discounting his story based on this issue is incorrect, because Mt. Baker is readily seen from many locations over a widespread geographic area.