How Are "research Groups" & Expeditions Legally Organized? I Might Have An Idea...

Guest shoot1

No, and I've thought this through...

There are only 4 ways to deal with that conflict - 

(1) Share Funding

(2) Split funding

(3) Segregate Funding

(4) Actively obnstruct each other

#4 is obviously dangerous since firearms would be involved. I think 3 is the most reasonable approach but I can see it leading directly to #4 as no-kill groups/habituators would hide their findings and some people might try to physically interfere with or sabotage a promising pro-kill operation.

The safest approach, in my opinion, would be to segregate the groups by clearly stating if the group is pro-kill or no-kill and by respecting the law, for safety's sake.  No-kill habituators would probably want to keep their locations and results private until they had conclusive evidence.  (Being skeptical of habituators and 100% pro-kill myself, I can't fathom what kind of evidence that would be, but I'm sure others can step up to define it.)

...Inherent in setting up such an organization as a multstate venture would be articles of dissolution and what all that entails so nobody gets stuck being out huge investments in equipment.  

My fear would be local groups that would be ripped off by less than reputable people (call me jaded when it comes to trust and Bigfoot lately).  

Otherwise, I see this as a good discussion.  Local and state game laws would dictate alot of what SOP could be performed in the search of course but I do agree with tracking element of things when it comes to basic wildlife.  SAR and EMT or wilderness EMT might not be bad to consider too. 

Good point on dissolution, I think a non-profit is do-able and personally don't want to run an LLC - but there's nothing stopping anyone else from doing this.  I'm jaded and cynical, too, so part of the reason I'm interested in a nonprofit, direct democracy, and crowdfunding is an emphasis on transparency and the ability to publicly discount and avoid doing business with charlatans, hoaxers, and scammers.  SAR and EMT training would be great ideas! An organization like this can be beneficial to society even if this turns out to be an epic snipe hunt. (We could even name it the "Giant Hairy Snipe Hunt Club" to keep people grounded but I'm partial towards naming it the "National Blobsquatch Hunt Club" myself.) 

Edited by shoot1

BFF Patron

^OK and LOL on snipe hunters nonprofit.

I see the value of nonprofit for donations, tax deductibility and charitable mileage particularly.   I'm sure I'm not seeing the big picture but that comes to mind. 

• 3 weeks later...

The big picture is organization, standardization, training, coordination and hopefully legitimization.

Edited by shoot1