The Sykes / Sartori Report - Oxford-Lausanne Collateral Hominid Project

Guest gershake

Guest Shaun

Agreed. Seem there are two wildlife teams at the BBC. The ones that turn out first class work like Frozen Planet, then the ones that turn out tripe like Planet Earth 'Live'.

Publishing in a journal puts you out of control in terms of a release schedule Mulder, you know that. To settle for less won't cut it.

I know that, but that's not what I'm talking about. Ketchum shouldn't have said a word in public until she DID have all her ducks lined up and was ready to go. She did, and set off this PR mess. I hope Dr Meldrum (who is very smart) hasn't fallen into that trap.

ETA: On the PR issue, you have to mention you are doing a study to get the samples, so people will know you are doing one, Expectations escalate from there.

I wasn't talking about PR for Sykes/Meldrum...I was talking about the hype and escalated expectations created by Ketchum with her premature blogging, etc. I don't want to see another study tarred with that brush.

Guest Particle Noun

Here is Dr. Meldrum talking about Dr. Sykes interest in the project.

Frankly, this puts this in a slightly different light for me. This makes it sound like the book isn't really about a Sasquatch DNA Sequencing project, but more that it is about tracing the genetic origins and relationshiops of all of the various species, new and known, of early hominids. With maybe an element of Squatchery thrown in? Perhaps there is something more specifically Sasquatch related as well, but it does not sound as focused on the issue as it does in the Bigfootology press release.

BFF Patron

No, Meldrum states at the end of the video, that he is doing a repeatability genetics study with Dr. Sykes on Sasquatch samples (dna), but not an end run around Ketchum's study. A confirmatory replication effort is what I understand having just watched the video. This one:

Incidentally, he states Dr. Sykes study of the Iceman in the Alps revealed dna similarities with at least one modern human in the same village below the pass where he was found.

Edited by bipedalist

Guest Particle Noun

You are right. I was conflating two things. To me, it doesn't sound like the book Dr. Sykes is putting together is going to be about the study, I guess is what I meant.

No, Meldrum states at the end of the video, that he is doing a repeatability genetics study with Dr. Sykes on Sasquatch samples (dna), but not an end run around Ketchum's study. A confirmatory replication effort is what I understand having just watched the video. This one:

Incidentally, he states Dr. Sykes study of the Iceman in the Alps revealed dna similarities with at least one modern human in the same village below the pass where he was found.

Yeah, Meldrum didn't sound too optimistc about hybrid theories , though admits that there has been a road block getting definitive squatchy DNA. :)

Let's just hope the BBC funding won't result in the same level of "professionalism" they displayed when they did the PGF "debunking" with that silly suit. Hopefully another arm of the BBC will be involved that is more attuned with science and facts.

Hopefully Sykes won't have it any other way and won't sign off on it until final production cut is available to review.

Guest shoot1

It blows my mind that they would casually claim there are living bigfoot-human offspring. What the hell is going on here?

"Yeren" are apparently small Chinese sasquatch. Here's a link to a video of a supposed Human-Yeren hybrid:

Maybe they are referring to, like Neanderthal, there is Bigfoot DNA within some of us, indicating some sort of interbreeding in the past? Maybe this was part of the "curve ball" Dr Ketchum ran in to during her study. I am sure they have found something, that gives them an indication of what they are looking for. I don't see them running off to explore this thing on a "whimsy".

It will be interesting to see where this all leads.

Guest shoot1
Here is Dr. Meldrum talking about Dr. Sykes interest in the project.
Frankly, this puts this in a slightly different light for me. This makes it sound like the book isn't really about a Sasquatch DNA Sequencing project, but more that it is about tracing the genetic origins and relationshiops of all of the various species, new and known, of early hominids. With maybe an element of Squatchery thrown in? Perhaps there is something more specifically Sasquatch related as well, but it does not sound as focused on the issue as it does in the Bigfootology press release.
If you watch the Yeti presentation by Dr. Nekaris you will see how she expressed exasperation and surprise at how much attention she received from the press about her fortuitous involvement in that yeti study versus how little attention and merit the press gave to her lifetime study and discoveries of nocturnal primate species. This leads me to believe that they are capitalizing on the sensationalism and fanaticism involved with Bigfootery, in order to get publicity for something else that would otherwise be only tangentially related. In other words, they're maintaining their legitimacy (or trying to maintain their legitimacy...) as scientists while still appealing to the rabid bigfoot/sasquatch niche market and cashing in. In order to guarantee book sales and press coverage all they have to do is "throw a bone" in that general direction.

Guest Kerchak

Let's just hope the BBC funding won't result in the same level of "professionalism" they displayed when they did the PGF "debunking" with that silly suit.

Well they realised they could never come up with such a suit so they cut their losses and got the orange piece of crap from 'award winning' Hollywood Optic Nerve studios.

The BBC executives were not happy with the finished programme but it had to go out as it was part of a 6 episode series. The Bigfoot episode was 4 of 6.