Moon Phase And Bigfoot Activity

After doing some preliminary research, it appears that Bigfoot are less active during full moons and new moons. This goes against the common-knowledge full moon lore, but there seems to be more sightings during the waxing and waning moon phases. I'm deducing this from the collection of sightings I've looked at- in addition to some other people's work on this topic.

Even nocturnal animals need light to see. But too much light (the full moon) makes them visible as well. On the flip side, a new moon has no light so it would be harder to hunt for food.

Can anyone verify or refute this? Any thoughts on this?

Sightings are made up of a human and an animal... Takes two. So, maybe people are out and about more with more moon light.

Admin

If you become a premium member, you'll have access to our SSR database which calculates the moonphase for every sighting in it, and allows you to search by gps coordinates, date, altitude, etc and compiles stats.

Edited by gigantor

If you become a premium member, you'll have access to our SSR database which calculates the moonphase for every sighting in it, and allows you to search by gps coordinates, date, altitude, etc and compiles stats.

Wow! Really?! I'm doing that NOW.

Guest OntarioSquatch

2 White bigfoot sightings that I finished classifying happened around a full moon if that helps.

Guest minnie-ear

I had a full on sighting with four other bigfooters on the Full Moon. He stood from a crouch and staired for several minutes. He didn't seem to care that it was bright and in his face; really lit up his eyes. The big guy wasn't alone. I would say they were all pretty active.

I think they are always out except perhaps in extremely inclimate weather.They need to eat and more importantly drink, just like you and me. Rule of 3's- three minutes without oxygen, three days without water, three weeks without food and you die.

SSR Team

Interesting stuff here on Animal behaviour and the moon phases..

http://ezinearticles.com/?Hunting-By-Moon-Phase:-Your-Best-Season-Ever&id=71908

There's even some software here..

http://www.calculatorcat.com/moon_phases/

SSR Team

Every season, millions of hunters take to the woods with renewed enthusiasm and vigor. Unfortunately, many come away empty handed, returning day after day to face similar results. It's every hunter's biggest dilemma, but some have found the perfect solution, and that is hunting by moon phase.

Fishermen have long been aware of the powerful influence of the moon on the tides and chart the various phases of the moon in order to determine the best time to fish. Similarly, animals are in tune with their surroundings and certain shifts in natural forces trigger corresponding responses in the wild.

For years, researchers have studied the reaction of wildlife to changes in the position of the sun and moon and have come up with some rather interesting observations in relation to hunting by moon phase.

So, how does this work? How can paying attention to the phases of the moon help ensure a hunter's success?

Animals and the Moon

Animals in the wild tend to be less active during daylight hours. Feeling safer under the cover of darkness, many animals will increase their activity as dusk falls.

However, many observers have noted that activity amongst all animals is greater when the moon is full and that this one form of hunting by moon phase -- hunting during periods of full moon -- can yield excellent results.

In other words, if you're aware of the phases of the moon, you're in a better position to anticipate the peak of animal activity. The more active they are, the better your chances will be of finding them.

Moon Phase Deer Hunting

Much of the research that has been done on this subject has involved hunting deer, and many hunters swear that hunting by moon phase is the only way to accurately predict deer activity.

But the moon doesn't only have an impact on deer activity. The various phases of the moon also seem to have a direct effect on deer mating patterns, which in turn make them easier to locate. It's because of this that moon phase deer hunting -- as it's becoming commonly known -- is quickly gaining acceptance.

Being aware of when the breeding season begins helps to determine travel patterns and areas of increased deer activity. When the breeding season is at its peak, finding deer is easier and finding more than one in a particular area more likely.

So what does this have to do with the moon? A female deer's reproductive cycle is influenced by the different phases of the moon, and peaks in the three or four days surrounding the second full moon after the autumnal equinox. When the does are in heat, the bucks begin rubbing and scraping in an attempt to attract them. If you know when the full moon occurs, you can be at the right spot, at the right time, and have the best chance for success, luring the bucks into your site.

By being aware of the different moon phases, deer hunting can be far more successful. But not only that, it can also help you figure out when not to hunt. You aren't going to be successful after the deer have mated and even the phase when the bucks are chasing the does can be pretty fruitless.

By becoming familiar with these patterns and planning ahead, hunting by moon phase will almost certainly lead to your best hunting season ever.

David Rose is an avid outdoorsman and the creator of QuickPhase Pro, a popular moon phase software program. Visit http://www.calculatorcat.com/moon_phases to discover the fun and easy way to view the phases of the moon and enjoy a successful hunt.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=David_Rose

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/71908

• 4 weeks later...
Guest TexasTracker

Sommersby,

I used to put a great deal of stock in the moon phases, to the point of not hitting the woods near a full moon. Statistically, yes less activity with a full moon/new moon.

Some of the best reports I've come across seem to go against this... Maybe it's an animal that is more secure/less afraid of humans that continues to interact without regard to phases.

So, I've tried to open myself to being less particular about hitting the woods and in fact, just get out as much as possible... anything to increse the odds.. I'd love to have that encounter that goes against the numbers.

You know, I have to admit that on the nights with a new moon I have never really had too much activity.

Maybe it's just too **** dark out there?? We had four of us tromping through Sam Houston NF single file. We were being lead by a guy that knew the area very well & it's had a significant amount of activity over the years. We were going in strictly no lights, no-tech..It was a "new moon" and brother I seroiusly could not see my hand in front of my face.. that dark.. We walked about 10 miles that night in those conditions... good times.

That night was uneventful except for some great howls/calls around 4 AM that really got the coyotes going..

I quite literally could have walked into one without knowing it... probably would have filled my britches, no doubt.

BFF Patron

Apparently seasonality and movement rates of prey might affect predators as much or more as differentials in moonlight intensities and stages of the moon, in this example snowshoe hares (which I think is prob. a BF prey item though I have no evidence of that). Risk and mortality does seem to go up with full moon re: snowshoe hares who limit range of movements substantially.

Guest TexasTracker

In regards to deer hunting as listed above...

Deer seem to be less active during the days when you have a strong (full or near full) moon at night... Is this some cycle with them, or just that they can safely forage at night and have no need to during the day....

In overcast weather, without regard to moon phases, the deer activity seems to be more consistent and predictable...

Deer seem to be relatively easy to predict, hogs quite a bit tougher, then there's the big guy....

BFF Patron

I was always told Bigfoot doesn't come out on rainy nights (false), but I'd imagine they would have to consider movements in many adverse conditions unless they have some unusual form of metabolic physiology or requirements. So I'd say weather and seasonality would prob. have more to do with their movements than moon-phase (just my hypothesis). That said, I'm sure BF in all moon phases would move more toward the crepuscular extremes of the timelines. Speculation is fun.

Guest Kronprinz Adam

After doing some preliminary research, it appears that Bigfoot are less active during full moons and new moons....Can anyone verify or refute this? Any thoughts on this?

Hi Sommersby. Probably they are more careful on their displacements when there is full moon..probably avoiding human farms and so on. But I think the ones living really away from humans (far-away mountains), I think they are at the alpha predators and they simply don't care too much....but probably, which more light, deer and prey would be more difficult to catch.

Greetings.

K. Adam.

• 3 months later...

I've been keeping field notes since 1995 and the BF seem to be more active around our camp during moonlit nights. It doesn't have to be a full moon, just some moon light. And the BF seem to be more vocal during a new moon, or before the moon rises, or after the moon sets. A dark, clear, calm night between midnight and dawn and mid July to mid Nov are peak vocalization times in my research area.