Alberta Govn't Says Squatch Research - Form Of Hunting

Guest Lone Squatcher

It may be that the Cree have been aware of BF and have had sightings, but for some reason did not positively say such to Transformer. Or it may be that the Cree haven't seen or been aware of BF, but all these witnesses are having hallucinations or misidentifications.... ;)

Occam's Razor suggests the former rather than the latter.

I got to use Occam's Razor in a conversation about the existence of bigfoot. That's funny :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Transformer

Or they could be making up the stories, right? We know that huge numbers of reports are false and the vast majority if not all the crap we see on you tube is hoaxed. It doesn't take any effort at all to make a hoaxed story of sasquatch. When the elders shared their stories in the Supreme Court of Alberta they had to give their solemn word and/or swear on a bible that their memories were true to the best of their knowledge. They were then cross examined by very determined lawyers. They also had to go through this in the pre-trial discovery process which was a lot of lawyers asking a lot of questions and challenging their recollections and demanding accurate descriptions and lots other difficult crap. If their recollections changed between the discovery and the trial their honesty was challenged and there was a lot of pressure on them from their bands because their believability in court was going to impact their bands future and it took a lot of guts to tell their stories and their recollections of the past and their tribal histories.

When I see a sasquatch report I give it very little credence because there is no downside to the person giving the report because there is absolutely no real investigation done to see if the story is true or not. I don't think any story that has not been thoroughly investigated should be considered reliable or worthy of note. Look how Ostman's story got thoroughly trashed because people actually started to investigate if his story made any sense and it certainly did not. I can't look at anything else John Green has done without remembering how totally sucked in he was by Ostman's story that anybody familiar with the area at the time could have torn apart in seconds.

Guest BFSleuth

Are you saying that Cree Nation members were questioned regarding sasquatch in open court? Do you have any links or references so we can read what was said?

Guest Transformer

No I am saying the exact opposite. There are no mentions of sasquatch or like creatures in any of the elder's stories or recollections in court or any of the anthropologist or historian reports that deal with the Cree before the sasquatch fad became popular. There are no reports of a sasquatch or like creature in any of the tens of thousands of pages of documation by the Hudson's Bay Company Factors or Chief Factors who were often married into tribal alliances and whose descendents still live in the area.

There is no documentation of any sasquatch or any sasquatch like creature by any of the famous explorers who lived and worked and travelled with the Native Indians such as Radisson and des Groseilliers or Alexander MacKenzie (who beat Lewis and Clark across the continent by 10 years) http://www.essortmen...zie-20456.html.

Other people like Henry Kelsey (first white man to live with the Crees and document the great Prairies of Canada) never wrote about any such legends. I could list others but the only common thing is that they all never mentioned what we know as a sasquatch like creature in any of their writings about any legends or traditions of the Cree or other tribes that they encountered east of the Rockies.

The documentation of the Hudson's Bay Company goes back over 400 years starting withRadisson and des Groseilliers in the 1680's dealing with the Crees. That is why the recent stuff about sasquatches are so unbelievable because there was no such thing for 400 years until the TV and the internet became popular transmitters of once very local incidents in a small part of California and previous to that a smal area of BC limited to a few tribes.

Edited by Transformer

Guest vilnoori

"I'm out here photographing mushrooms (or birds, or wildflowers) for a book I am writing, officer." Smile, be friendly, and never mention the words bigfoot or sasquatch! The thermal stuff...hmmm...looking for owls, maybe?

They think that anyone who says they're looking for sasquatch is either a liar, a crazy or a kook, none of whom they want running loose in a park. It is no surprise to me you got evicted.

Believe me, you will never be molested by LE in a park or crown land again, if you follow this advice! And, it helps being a woman...which I am, and a Canadian, and I do carry a knife but have never ever been searched or molested or suspected in all my years of researching. Big mushroom enthusiast, me. LOL

BFF Patron

Are citations public records in the Provinces. In other words, could you take a ticket number and look up the details of them either online or at the provincial park office? Just curious in general? Also, do they post up violators in the local newspapers like some cases in the U.S. ?

Edited by bipedalist

Guest BFSleuth

Are you saying that Cree Nation members were questioned regarding sasquatch in open court? Do you have any links or references so we can read what was said?

No I am saying the exact opposite. There are no mentions of sasquatch or like creatures in any of the elder's stories or recollections in court or any of the anthropologist or historian reports that deal with the Cree before the sasquatch fad became popular.

Thank you for your reply. However, I'm a little confused. I thought from your previous post that the question of BF was directly asked of Cree Nation elders in open court. Was the question(s) ever put to them in open court, and if so can those records be accessed?

Occam's Razor suggests the former rather than the latter.

I got to use Occam's Razor in a conversation about the existence of bigfoot. That's funny :)

Shouldn't be. The simplest explanation for the mountain of BF evidence is an extant uncatalogued higher primate. Always has been.

Could you be more specific about what organization the "group of officers" belonged to? Thank you.

This is the definition of "Hunting" in BC. If you are carrying a knife it can be considered a "weapon" so it is sort of a "catch-all". Maybe Alberta has the same sort of definiton but I can't find it in the Alberta Regulations on-line.

Hunt & Hunting - includes shooting at,

attracting, searching for, chasing, pursuing, following

after or on the trail of, stalking, or lying

in wait for wildlife or attempting to do any of

those things, whether or not the wildlife is then

or subsequently wounded, killed or captured:

(a) with intention to capture the wildlife, or

( B) while in possession of a firearm or other

weapon.

As far as not confiscationg or hauling someone off to jail that maybe is the officer's discretion coming into play.

Well they have certainly covered ever possible option of someone actually being out in the wilderness..... sounds like simply 'going for a hike' is hunting.

Sorry LS.

@ Mulder. Couldn't disagree more. It's by far not the simplest expanation.

Edited by MikeG
..........Personal comment removed

Guest Transformer

Thank you for your reply. However, I'm a little confused. I thought from your previous post that the question of BF was directly asked of Cree Nation elders in open court. Was the question(s) ever put to them in open court, and if so can those records be accessed?

I'm sorry for the confusion. It is my fault. :(

I get writing and forget to use proper sentences and punctuation. What I meant to write was it is easy for somebody to report a sasquatch sighting because there is very little or no investigation and it is easy to hoax a video for the same reason. For many it could fulfil a need to attention or fun or whatever to falsely report a sasquatch and the fun continues because nobody ever gets really grilled on the details or have their statement gone over with a fine tooth comb with the questions coming up close and personal.

I meant to contrast this with the Elders and Chiefs who are questioned extensively on their stories and legends regarding traditional lands to support current land claims in a very serious court of law where lying is taken very seriously by all parties. For instance, a legend about a boy killing a giant beaver to save his sister and clan members on a certain lake would define the lake as a traditional area for that clan or tribe. Lawyers for the government fighting that land claim would question every bit of the story and especially the part about the giant beaver in order to make the story less credible so as to lessen the impact of the claim on that particular lake.

If the Cree Native Indians had a story about a sasquatch that was a true tribal story or legend going back in time there would be no reason for them to withhold such a story because it would elicite no more or less of a cross examination than any of the other stories.

No stories in the historical record. No old legends or stories about a sasquatch like creature told in court where other creatures of obvious mythical nature are told of.

One of the things that just come to mind is maybe the movement of sasquatch like creatures into the area is a very recent thing? I really don't like calling something a hoax or made up story until it is properly investigated just like I don't like to use a story as a reference or fact until it has been properly investigated.

I hope I made better sense. :lol:

Guest BFSleuth

That's very interesting, so in a sense the court record becomes a treasure trove of Indian history, stories, and legends. Has anyone collected these proceedings in a digestible form for the general public? It would be fascinating reading.

Guest thermalman

"I'm out here photographing mushrooms (or birds, or wildflowers) for a book I am writing, officer." Smile, be friendly, and never mention the words bigfoot or sasquatch! The thermal stuff...hmmm...looking for owls, maybe?

They think that anyone who says they're looking for sasquatch is either a liar, a crazy or a kook, none of whom they want running loose in a park. It is no surprise to me you got evicted.

Believe me, you will never be molested by LE in a park or crown land again, if you follow this advice! And, it helps being a woman...which I am, and a Canadian, and I do carry a knife but have never ever been searched or molested or suspected in all my years of researching. Big mushroom enthusiast, me. LOL

Agreed. It's no wonder why the officers were leary of the explanation LS gave them. It was good enough for a ticket out of the park, as they officers were only acting in the best interests of the general public.

Edited by thermalman

Guest BFSleuth

:D that's a good line, vilnoori... :D

... makes me think of a twist to that tale, when the college kids used to go mushrooming for psilocybn they always carried a shotgun. That way if they were caught "mushrooming" they could claim they were actually hunting! Go figure...

Guest MikeG

Mulder, WTB1, and anyone else who wants a private squabble........

Pack it in!! Come on, you know the rules........focus on the subject of the thread, not each other. I've edited and deleted.

Mike