Dermal Ridges Or Casting Artifact?

Guest JVDBogart

Guest JVDBogart

Does anyone recall an experiment conducted by a forum member regarding dermal ridges being the result of casting artifacts? This research was approximately three years ago and was posted on the old forum. Basically, the researcher conducted experiments showing how "dermal ridges" are formed during the pouring of the casting agent. From what I can recall, the results of his experiments were very persuasive.

I was just reminded of this experiment while looking at my copy of a cast from 1967 on Blue Creek Mountain Road in Washington. That cast contains numerous "dermal ridges" which I believed added credibility and authenticity to the print. At least, until I read the research that I mentioned above.

The more I study this cast and consider what I can recall from the research, the more I believe he was definitely on to something. Therefore, I very interested in reviewing this research again. Hopefully, this unknown researcher is still a member on here, or someone would be so kind as to point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Jon

I remember that. I think it was on the old bff 1.0. If I remember correctly Melissa Hovey experimented with the plaster to test the theory. You might be able to find the results she came up with along with the original experiment on her blog.

This might be what you are referencing Jon....

http://bigfootforums.com/index.php?/topic/2490-dermatoglyphics-casting-artifacts/

There is much more about this subject as well as most others for our Premium Members since the *old* archives are available for PMP members.

With 93 posts you are eligible for the PMP.

But I think the above link includes some info of what you are referencing.

There is much more info regarding this in the *old* archives though.

Guest BFSleuth

Thank you for the link, HRP. Looks like Bittermonk et al did some very informative experiments.

This is one reason why I'm trying to create a reliable method for photographing prints in hopes of being able to use the images to create a 3D model. There has been mentioned that photographs of tracks before any casting pour have shown dermal ridges. If we can avoid casting and be able to show dermal ridges then that will be more valuable and avoid the entire casting artifact debate.

Guest JVDBogart

Thanks HR and BFS, that is exactly the help I was hoping for! I thought it was 100 posts to get to the PMP? I am glad I am wrong and I will sign up promptly. Thanks again!

Jon

I read most of the thread linked by HRPufinstuff but didn't see any mention of this, have other substances besides plaster been tried for making casts? Some sort of epoxy or resin? Is plaster the only material practical to use?

Guest BFSleuth

Does anyone have a good HD picture of possible BF prints that show dermal ridges? I would appreciate anyone posting pictures on this thread so we can review. What I'm working on is trying to create a "light box" with fixed lighting and multiple camera angles.

Here is part of a track that I got several pictures of that shows dermal ridges as well as impressions where hair was under the back of the heel. We had no way to make casts, & the pictures are all I have.

The dermals are in the upper right part of the enlarged picture. They run lengthwise on the foot, whereas ours run crosswise.

DCP01718.jpgDCP01719-3.jpg

Edited by Sasfooty

Guest JVDBogart

I use this stuff called Ultracal and supposedly it is the best stuff for casting footprints. I haven't tried all the different stuff out there, but I have nothing but the best to say about Ultracal. I ordered it from some place on the internet I found by doing a web search. I comes in a 5 gallon bucket and was reasonably priced. The 5 gallon bucket will last a long time unless you come across the London trackway or something.

indiefoot, are these your pictures? It does look like dermal ridges in some of the areas.

Yes, I took the pictures at a low water crossing after a heavy rain. The water had left a layer of silt next to the small creek. It's in a study area that I was working in 2007.