Any Stories Of Special Forces / Sniper Training Having Encounters ?

Admin

Hah, did it again, MCAS, Marine Corps Air Station, Cherry Point, Havelock, NC. There, that out to do it.

You have my undying gratitude for helping to make me look like the biggest idiot on the board (not that I really need any help in that regard....). I knew it was in NC, but then you said that and for some reason I thought about MCAS Beaufort and agreed with you. All that said, I am now pretty sure that Cherry Point is someplace on Planet Earth...kinda, sorta, I think......

:lol:

Your question in same post regarded the Cherry Point sighting, correct?

BFF Patron

Right, and thanks for the geography lesson, usually it's those from other than the east coast that confuse the carolina's, lol.

And right, what are the details of a sighting at Cherry Point/MCAS? I assumed maybe you knew since you had this exhaustive list.

Admin

I just vaguely recall reading a report on it. I will have to look it up....

Guest southernfriedbigfoot

This has to fall into the category of a "friend of a friend"-type story, but here goes. Over a decade ago, the guy my sister was dating at the time heard I was going to make a documentary about Bigfoot and said he had a story to tell me. He told me he had a friend - or possibly a friend of a friend - who was attached to an Army Ranger company in the Pacific Northwest. The company was on night maneuvers in a forest somewhere in Washington state. Allegedly, the night was dark and the moon was obscured, and the conditions were wreaking havoc on the starlight scopes the company was using. The friend/friend of a friend rounded a bend in the woods and literally walked into the side of something large and hairy, which quickly knocked the guy over and fled into the night.

Again, this is an anecdotal story that there's no way of proving. My sister broke up with the guy who told me the story years ago and I have no idea how to reach him, but thought I'd share after seeing this topic.

A proficient firearms enthusiast would probably know the exact model designation of their weapon, especially if they purchased it themselves. Such a sniper would have been trained to carefully observe even the most minute details. Someone please correct me if I am mistaken, but I believe that back then the correct model number of the P22* series of Sig Sauer pistols chambered in .45 ACP was P220. If even part of the story doesn't hold up, it doesn't lend much credibility to the rest of the story.

Edited by Irish73

• 2 weeks later...
Admin

Right, and thanks for the geography lesson, usually it's those from other than the east coast that confuse the carolina's, lol.

And right, what are the details of a sighting at Cherry Point/MCAS? I assumed maybe you knew since you had this exhaustive list.

Have not forgotten about this one, just that the report has not turned up yet in my searches. Still looking though.

Guest Transformer

A proficient firearms enthusiast would probably know the exact model designation of their weapon, especially if they purchased it themselves. Such a sniper would have been trained to carefully observe even the most minute details. Someone please correct me if I am mistaken, but I believe that back then the correct model number of the P22* series of Sig Sauer pistols chambered in .45 ACP was P220. If even part of the story doesn't hold up, it doesn't lend much credibility to the rest of the story.

Good catch! The P226 was never offered commercially in the .45 calibre. Another nail in the coffin of this truly poorly thought out hoax tale.

Edited by Transformer

• 2 years later...
BFF Patron

Nothing like a sniper SF thread bump for the Chris Kyle memorial final lap. 

Admin

And I never did get you the report at Cherry Point, NC. Here is one nearby, might have been the one I was thinking of, but I thought it was on base. I shall keep looking.

http://www.bfro.net/gdb/show_report.asp?id=33358

• Upvote 1

That report is literally 5 miles from my property along the White Oak River. In fact, my property borders the Croatan National Forest.

Small world. Maybe I'll get lucky and see something similar someday.

Thanks, VA footer!

BFF Patron

Yes, I had never read that particular one from MP's.   That area seems thick enough to hide an aircraft carrier.  

Other than the examples already cited, I can only add an aside, from a friend and once fellow soldier who served in Vietnam. I ask him if he ever saw a tiger, and he said no, but he did see the biggest monkey a time or two slipping away from his squad while on point, a position he said he appointed himself as, said he trusted himself to see hear or pay attention and he wanted to come home, lol so he took point every patrol. Must have been good or lucky or both as he and his buddies most made it home. But he said it was big, like big as an enemy soldier, although he didn't get a good look any time at it as it slipped into the jungle.

Admin

That must have been the one, as I cannot find anything else on/near Cherry Point.

See, take a little jaunt down that road some evening and tell us what happens.

• Upvote 1

BFF Patron

Indiefoot could it be:on this page http://sasquatchtracker.com/Database.html

This one is oh so cool too:   SF http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=9385

http://www.adn.com/article/bigfoot-spotted-arctic-alaska-or-maybe-it-was-just-polar-bear-gone-bald

Have to throw this one in because these fisherman deserve a Ranger tab for their efforts.  

Edited by bipedalist