Favorite Flashlights & Spotlights

Guest MrMudder

Like many others here, I also have a number of flashlights. My two favorite are an HDS clicky and a Tiablo A9 with an aspheric lens.

The HDS will produce three lumen levels and the lowest is perfect for blackout conditions. It is virtually indestructible and will be there to work for you when TSHF.

http://www.hdslights.com/?id=Home

The Tiablo A9, with an aspheric lens, will thrown harder, farther and more concentrated than Nolan Ryan. Check out the picture of how it can really throw when you put an aspheric lens on it. I haven't tested the distance but have heard some crazy numbers such as 500-600 yards.

http://www.candlepow...MSHOTS-and-more!

You'll find some awesome information about anything related to flashlights on CandlePowerForums.com:

http://www.candlepow...om/vb/forum.php

Edited by wiiawiwb

Guest JVDBogart

Hey Mudder, regarding the use of rechargeable batteries in flashlights. You mentioned that you think that's the way to go, but in my experience I have noticed a lack of power in the rechargeables. For example, a rechargeable battery in a flashlight will not be as bright as the same flashlight with a regular battery. Bear in mind, I haven't experimented with rechargeable batteries in many years, and the technology has probably improved. So if your experience has shown that rechargeable batteries are equally as bright, and last just as long, then I might give them another try. Buying a bunch of batteries every week can sure add up quickly! Plus I have always hated the fact of throwing them in the garbage. It is so wasteful and definitely not Earth friendly.

Guest thermalman

I would prefer to use a thermal camera. It emits no light and lets you walk in complete darkness, all the while detecting IR signatures of everything around you. The perfect stealth camera.

Guest JVDBogart

If thats the case I don't know of anything approaching the 2000 lumen power level of the Stanley.

Hey MarkMc, you really believe that Stanley flashlights are the way to go? I have never used one before, and I always thought of Stanley as a company that makes tape measures and screwdrivers. I just did a websearch and was surprised at just how inexpensive Stanley flashlights are. So reasonably priced, that I guess I couldn't lose much by trying one out. Since I am going to give one a try based on your review, which models of Stanley do you recommend? I would like a pocket sized model, and a larger model. Like a single AA model, and a 2 or 3 D model. Any more Stanley info would be appreciated because WOW, they are pretty darn cheap.

I have to rave on my new Nebo "redline" flashlight! It is only about 4" long and has 220 lumens and has 3 power modes and an sos and a strobe mod. It lasts for 4 hours on full power, 8 on half with 110 lumens, and 15 hours on low which is still 22 lumens. This flashlight also uses 3 AAA batteries so I can get them anywhere. I only paid $30 to my door for this flashlight and it came with a nebo mini free. I felt this was an unbeatable deal and when I mentioned it to my boss he had to have one so we ordered them together. I am seriously loving this little light. If anyone wants more info on them please feel free to send me a PM.

JVDBogart, the only lights by Stanley that I have owned are not pocket lights but spotlights, so I have no idea how any other of the line might perform. My opinion of the 2000 lumen FatMax spotlight is still the same as my prior posts, Awesome product.

KY Woodsman, I was so impressed with the Nebo redline that Christmas before last I bought one for everyone on my Christmas list. A great light for the money without question. The only problem with them is heat related. As with so many of the cheaper LED lights, they can be heat sensetive. Mine somehow got turned on in the cargo pocket of my duty pants while at work one night (I may have put it there still on during an arrest, I'm not sure.) It got Extremely warm and burned the LED to a carmel brown color. Needless to say it no longer performs as advertised. I have had this happen several times with my Surefire lights and they both survived. I don't know whether it is because of cheaper LED emitters or lack of a propper heatsink on the Nebo's but they are just not as "tuff" as the more expensive Surefires. On the plus side, of all the lights I gave to my friends (over twenty of them) mine is the only one that no longer functions.

• 2 months later...
Guest ga sasquath

when i do use a light, i use a fairly bright LED headlight. i love headlights, hands are free, and dont have to hold a 5lb light, thats my opinion, it does 1 bulb, all three, then will switch to green. i usually just tend to use the single bulb

• 2 months later...
Guest toejam

I just use cheap 5 dollar led flashlights. Usually keep a couple of them on hand. 3 triple A batteries and they last a long time.

I try to not use any external light source if possible.

It's even a good idea to have a diffuser such as red, just enough to see where you're going.

Even a red piece of plastic taped or an elastic band over the bright white works well.

• 2 years later...

A tight spotlight is invaluable for sweeping an area. I've used it with good results when at a field or pond's edge.  I use a Tiablo A-9 with an aspheric lens. This thing is ridiculous, throws like Sandy Koufax, and is often referred to as the throw king.

I've got a Ryobi hand held xenon spotlight. Home Depot sells them for about $40 or $50 and they use any Ryobi 18V battery. I have a number of their 18V tools and half a dozen li-ion batteries. The light is surprisingly light and easy to aim and is pretty much like having a car headlight in your hand. Rated output is 2,800 lumens.

Edited by Airdale