Hiking The Woods Alone In Blackness

Guest MrMudder

Guest Mudder

How does one get over this fear? I'm not so much frightened by the thought of BF walking around, but rather the unkown in the dark, and the area. It's known to be haunted. Many suicides and deaths have happened in the area. How do I get over this fear of camping alone by the river? I'm not scared of much, but I've been scared before hearing a bipedal run as I was fishing at 3am. I guess I just have to face my fear?

P.S. No bears here - Just mountain lions :/

Guest Twilight Fan

You know Mudder......fear exists within us for a reason.

People will tell you it's good to "face your fears" but not always is that true. Fear exists to protect us, to let us know what is not safe. For instance, I have a fear of tall cliffs. That fear is good for me to have as it stops me from foolishly climbing a tall cliff and possibly falling and killing myself.

Humans cannot see in the dark, and dangers lurk, especially in the woods at night! I would never go camping ALONE in such a place, especially if you say it is haunted. Trust me when I say to trust your INSTINCT, don't go. If you wish to go camping, go with a group of people and camp in a campground or park where there are many others nearby.

That's my advice to you.

• Upvote 1

Guest Strick

Make sure you're in your tent just as it gets dark.

Don't light a fire and sit up late on your own, you'll illuminate yourself and get freaked about what can see you while you just see the fire.

Don't pick the creepiest, most overgrown, most notorious local spots to practice your camping skills, go somewhere more frequented or more welcoming when you're starting out.

Don't let your interest in Bigfoot stop you enjoying the woods.

Edited by Strick

I live in the UK, the biggest (native) predator we have here is a badger or a fox. But, I still don't like those times on my own when I'm going along singletrack on my bike through forest and it's starting to get dark.

As Twilight said above, it's a natural reaction for humans to feel this way.

Best advice I can give is take someone with you. Humans are sociable animals, and we operate best in packs.

Guest Twilight Fan

^Yes, if you "MUST" go, there is no shame in bringing a protective human PACK with you. :) Also make sure to bring cell phones in case you need to call for help. I still have an eerie feeling and I don't think you should go at all. But if you do, be as prepared as possible please...

Guest Mudder

I actually car camp (meaning that I'm not far off the beaten path with all the "car camping" gear) quite often in the area. I just don't veer far from the basecamp. I get the creeps just by getting firewood 50 yrds away from the tent and fire, haha. I guess I haven't just yet got the guts to "backpack camp" down there just yet. I'd like to take a 12-15 mile (round trip) hike/backpack trip down there during a couple nights, with backpack camping gear, and sleep during the day, but all my buddies aren't the "physical" or "adventurous" type so I'd be doing it alone. Keep in mind that it's Iowa and not some crazy Oregon or Washington or Alaska wilderness, so the thought of getting lost is impossible. I'd simply follow the river within 200 yrds of it.

The reason why I'd like to hike it at night is that I believe I'd have more of a chance seeing or hearing a sasquatch, instead of waiting for it to find me 7 miles upstream. And I do believe the area is populated with them. I'd have my 22-inch double-sided pointed "machete" strapped to my right hand, and my 3-D LED Maglite in the left hand, along with my LED headlamp, and a spotlight handy and ready. The only crazy wildlife I'd encounter is either a mountain lion or something rabid. Reason #783 why I need to get a handgun :)

I live in the UK, the biggest (native) predator we have here is a badger or a fox. But, I still don't like those times on my own when I'm going along singletrack on my bike through forest and it's starting to get dark.

As Twilight said above, it's a natural reaction for humans to feel this way.

Best advice I can give is take someone with you. Humans are sociable animals, and we operate best in packs.

I hear ya there, too. -- I'm big into mountain biking, and the headlight doesn't do much justice going down a singletrack at 15-25 mph :)

Make sure you're in your tent just as it gets dark.

Don't light a fire and sit up late on your own, you'll illuminate yourself and get freaked about what can see you while you just see the fire.

I've tried this a couple times this year, and nothing really came about, hence why I want to try the hiking way. Walk a bit, take a rest, and listen in the dark, and turn on the lights at times looking for eyeshine, etc etc etc.

Guest Dr. Boogie

It's just one of those instincts that remain within most of us to some degree or other. As Twighlight Fan pointed out, these instincts developed over thousands of years for good reason...only trouble is, most of those good reasons just aren't as valid in the 21st Century as they were in the past.

For example, fear of snakes is quite common today, perhaps out of proportion to real risks but fear of cars is quite rare even though they present a more valid statistical risk. I guess the only way to conquer the fear is to challenge the emotion with logic and then expose yourself to what you fear if you decide the fear is out of proportion to the risk.

Guest VioletX

Your post made me think about the necessity of searching at night and I found this thread about whether Bigfoot is Nocturnal here:

If someone is seeking them during their hunting time wouldn't the Bigfoot be more elusive and more focused on their mission? Maybe the best time to spot them is when they are involved in family activity.

http://bigfootforums.com/index.php?/topic/12105-nocturnal-species-or-just-nocturnal-hunters/page__hl__%2Bbigfoot+%2Bnocturnal

I haven't finished reading the thread yet ,so I may be speaking too soon;)

Guest Mudder

Yes, many many variables to go looking for biggie -- One of the obvious is going at night because; for one, they are believed to be nocturnal; and two, wouldn't they be curious of a human walking the woods in the middle of the night? I don't know one other reason why somebody would be walking in the timber at 3am. So if this is happy hour for BF, I'd think it'd follow the person out of curiosity, because it simply never sees that.

Edited by Mudder

Guest poignant

Operation Persistence reported in the podcast interview that the wood apes in their study area are not mostly diurnal. Whether or not this is an observational bias I cannot tell.

BFF Patron

If you are insistent on a sighting at night, it might be best left to let them come to you in an area where there is cover near to a developed opening or clearing in a wooded area..... personally I don't think use of a small fire is going to discourage them either. Personal choice really. There is danger from low hanging limbs in movement at night, not to mention dropoffs in montane areas.

There is some evidence to suggest that they enjoy checking out a campfire and even an ash pit in some instances (post breaking camp), possibly minerals or potassium rich cache ... who knows. Also there have been sightings where they have moved into openings and walked right between persons near a campfire and casually went about their business. That is an unpublished report, third hand from a Washington state camper that I've received from a friend. No further details forthcoming.

Guest rolando

It may not be safe but, on the other hand, there could be much to be gained by taking an unconventional approach. Perhaps if you keep at it, you could pioneer some safe methods.

Someone has to break through the barriers.

Here's an idea: Don't camp and sleep at night. If you want to go out at night, be nocturnal. Get all your sleep in during the day. Stay wide awake the whole night and observe.

Keep in mind that it's Iowa and not some crazy Oregon or Washington or Alaska wilderness, so the thought of getting lost is impossible. I'd simply follow the river within 200 yrds of it.

The reason why I'd like to hike it at night is that I believe I'd have more of a chance seeing or hearing a sasquatch, instead of waiting for it to find me 7 miles upstream.

Hi Mudder, I live in Minnesota and a friend of mine has a cabin in Wisconsin near Alma. He/we have been experiencing squatchy things on or near his land- trackways, rock clacking, wood structures and wood knocks. The wood knocks were only a few days ago, and very much during the day! If you want to go looking, stay with your adaptive strengths- look during the day. If you are camping, keep your back to the fire :) so your night vision isn't screwed (you might consider camping without a fire...). All I am saying here though is that you don't have to go at night to find them, or rather, 'experience' might be a better word. They are quite stealthy! When we heard the rock clacks, which were on a quiet wind-free night, they bothered to go through a mess of brush and within 30 feet of the cabin without making a sound.

Guest poignant

Operation Persistence reported in the podcast interview that the wood apes in their study area are not mostly diurnal. Whether or not this is an observational bias I cannot tell.

Sorry I meant to say 'are mostly diurnal'.