Discovery Of Uncataloged Predator Dangerous To Man ?

HOLDMYBEER

Guest Mudder

Just yesterday, on NBC Nightly News, it was mentioned that 2 people have died in Yellowstone from some sort of micro organism in a cabin lodging area up there.

Edited by Mudder

We have an example here in Australia, there was a new snake discovered in central Australia, highly venemous. As if we don't have enough of them already

Its not my ex-wife is it??

Guest poignant

Just yesterday, on NBC Nightly News, it was mentioned that 2 people have died in Yellowstone from some sort of micro organism in a cabin lodging area up there.

Yosemite, not Yellowstone, I believe.

BFF Patron

hanta virus, associated with rodent infestations

Guest thermalman

We have an example here in Australia, there was a new snake discovered in central Australia, highly venemous. As if we don't have enough of them already

I was gonna suggest the new species of poisonous snakes and spiders discovered every year.

Venomous, at least.

BFF Patron

Ahh. Yep, that was it. A virus associated with rodents. Not sure if it was Yosemite or Yellowstone though.

Yosemite Curry Village Canvas Tent Cabins on Tent Platforms/California

Hantavirus

Luckily it is rare!

Edited by bipedalist

Guest Mudder

Wow, I got that all mixed up, huh. lol. Must've been a long day yesterday. One reason to not believe everything you read. :)

Guest Transformer

Before the Lewis and Clark expedition, the Grizzly bear was not cataloged or defined as a species. (Not sure it this example fits)

I don't think so because Brown Bears inhabited and were well known throughout most of Europe for thousands of years before Lewis and Clark and Grizzlies are just a minor variance sub-species of Brown Bear like the Coastal and Kodiak Bear of North America and not an actual species. They are all just Brown Bears. Not only that but their pelts were traded for by the Hudson's Bay Company in Canada and sent to the UK and Europe before Lewis and Clark were even born. Brown bears still inhabit numerous European countires and have a large population in Russia and are the National Animal of Finland. Even the Spanish wrote about them when Cortez was exploring the California area in the 1500's.

Lewis and Clark were not even the first Europeans to cross the continent north of Mexico as Alexander MacKenzie beat them by over 10 years and he did it twice! Lewis and Clark just had better press agents. :D

Edited by Transformer

SSR Team

Bobby O, that is not a new species of ape. The headline is misleading.

The Bili Apes are Pan troglodyte species.

Ok, fair enough, but..............

" In 2004, Shelly Williams, a primatologist affiliated to the Jane Goodall Institute, revealed the first recorded close encounter by a scientist with these creatures, in the New Scientist. "

Guest thermalman

Would the Grizzly-Polar bear cross constitute a new species? It was only discovered last year, I believe?

Edited by thermalman

Guest Transformer

^ Brown Bear - Polar bear crosses had been suspected for years but only about 5-10 years ago was an actual suspected specimen DNA tested to show it was a fact. I'm pretty sure that they would not be considered a new species as there is no known breeding population.

BFF Patron