Throwing Down The Gauntlet

Guest Kane2002

Which is exactly why you shouldn't pay any attention to it.

I disagree, it depends on where you find them. Now if I find them on my river bottom, I will be wondering. No reason for anyone to do that as the path is clear and there are no children around.

I think on inaccessible rivers, rarely traveled montane environment and woods with few trails besides game trails (read: Wilderness) you may be more able to ascribe some importance to rock stacks. Near any canoed/kayaked waters, recreational trails, etc. I think these kinds of finds would be rather meaningless.

Maybe, but the former examples are exactly where humans might rely on rock stacks the most.

BFF Patron

Mostly above treeline perhaps :)

BFF Patron

I disagree, it depends on where you find them. Now if I find them on my river bottom, I will be wondering. No reason for anyone to do that as the path is clear and there are no children around.

Is it canoeable/kayakable water? Accessed by motor boat, boats with electric trolling motors and such?

I think on inaccessible rivers, rarely traveled montane environment and woods with few trails besides game trails (read: Wilderness) you may be more able to ascribe some importance to rock stacks. Near any canoed/kayaked waters, recreational trails, etc. I think these kinds of finds would be rather meaningless. Looking back at the rock stack thread and the pictures of the stacks where BF's on a ground squirrel hunt were witnessed, I'd say they are certainly capable of creating them from hunting activity. That said I have not heard that they are more prevalent than the stick structures which are created (not twists/breaks.....I mean tripods, geometric formations and weaving).

There is a good point here, as for checking for tracks, streams and other bodies of water.... if they are flesh and blood, they gotta drink sometime....

Yep them mud and sand banks are handy. Regarding rock stacks.. discerning from a people activity seems impossible.. hence bravo bravo :D I did find it interesting though when my buddy said the dogs were acting peculiar.. but that could have been caused by the thunderbird that was about to grab them, ya never know lol.

Is it canoeable/kayakable water? Accessed by motor boat, boats with electric trolling motors and such?

On my side of the river there are deep trenches that go about 16 feet down that cause turbines in the water. Several rocks stick up out of the water. The rest of the river is maybe 6-7 feet deep every where else. I've seen kayaks go by on the other side of the river but my side is not easy to navigate because of the uneven bottom. No trolling boats are allowed. The trail I'm referring to is a game trail, not a walking path. You'll see in the pics I get tomorrow how it is all laid out.

I have my pics loaded on flickr but can't figure out how to link them here or post them individually. I'm open for direction. All I found were some interesting tree fall, a lean too type structure along the cliff face, and various animal tracks. For those interested in the lean too structure I can probably e-mail those to you on an individual basis if I can't figure out how to link them.

BFF Patron

Jodie hit the "share this" button and then hit the grab the link (or share this photo) text-link which will allow you to copy and paste the link into your post or a new post.....this is from the flickr home page but should be the same from your console/album page too.

Edited by bipedalist

Ok, let me give it a try, there are like 20 pics but I figure the ones with the vegetation pulled down to make a "hut", for lack of a better word, would be the most interesting. Where it is sheltered, one could enter and exit the river on the rocks and never leave a foot print. It is directly below my condo. It would also hide someone if they were waiting on deer to come by on the steppe ridge above it if that was the purpose it was used for. I went up close and it was old, not recently used, no smell or scat noted.

leantoo

You can scroll through all of them, there are some pics of orchids mixed in with them , sorry. I went to an orchid show today and they got mixed in with my group, just skip those.

Edited by Jodie

BFF Patron

Nice rocky river shots, I see raccoon prints and one looked deer-like, def. gnawed beaver damage, one print looked sort of cat-like too.

Edited by bipedalist

What was the squiggly one on the beach? Weasle or otter? A weasle is the only thing I know that moves serpentine but an otter might also out of water. I thought those were bobcat prints also, so that would explain the hissing I heard when we interrupted a hunt.

BFF Patron

Water snake? :lol:

Oh Lord! The pythons have finally made it here. I knew it was just a matter of time. :lol: Seriously, do you really think it's a snake? Because it's a big one if it is.........