Do You W A N T Bigfoot To Be Found?

Guest Twilight Fan

Guest Twilight Fan

Only in the selfish human mindset.

I doubt if any member of the Animal Kingdom that shares ( key word right there ) the Land give a hoot who " owns " the Land on Planet Humansarethebeallandendall.

Voice of reason gets a +1 from me! :)

Only in the selfish human mindset.

I doubt if any member of the Animal Kingdom that shares ( key word right there ) the Land give a hoot who " owns " the Land on Planet Humansarethebeallandendall.

Umm they can not care all they want, the point I was trying to make is that the land 'belongs' to the government, if they wanted to turn it into a carpark, they could. If BF is discovered, they can just as easy turn it into habitat.

Like I said, as humans expand outward more and more into new areas by development the BF's land shrinks. Better they be discovered now and given suitable areas than in say 50 or so years when there will be less to offer them.

Call me utterly selfish; but I've been highly interested in this topic, or associated ones, for some sixty years -- starting in childhood in the UK with the Yeti of the Himalayas, branching out in later years into North America's Bigfoot. Supposing that it is possible at all, to determine with certainty just what this creature is: I would very much like it to be discovered so that I can know the facts of the matter, in the possibly not enormous length of time in which I can expect to be still above ground.

As regards whether being discovered and catalogued would be good or not so good for Bigfoot: I'm ready to be callous and say "let the chips fall where they may". If it were to be bad for the species -- I'm unlikely to be on earth hugely much longer, to be worried about it. Have the gut feeling that even should a type specimen be obtained and the species be documented and "made official", it will still be far from easy for people to find, and harm, individual Bigfoot specimens.

I can sort-of see where people are coming from, in finding the matter more entertaining and piquant as a mystery, than it would be as a solved mystery; but for myself, I'd like to know if possible what this thing is -- "end of story". If it were to be solved; there are allegedly a good many other crypto-creatures on earth, many equally puzzling, to which I could be happy devoting my declining years (and a lot still to be found out about Bigfoot, which would remain interesting).

• 3 weeks later...

I definitely want to bigfoot to be found. 'Twould be the coolest discovery in my lifetime - and a lot of cool stuff has been discovered in my lifetime!

I want the animal confirmed, and my motivations are purely selfish.

I want to see one before I die, in person cool but not required. I'm starting to think that - as is the case with wolverine, lynx and cougar - scientific confirmation is the only way that's assured to happen.

I don't want one killed. And that is no longer required for scientific confirmation. But I realize, humans being what they are, that's probably gonna happen. Count me no-kill. Yet I'm rooting for the TBRC to confirm, as Malcolm put it, by any means necessary. (I'm a walkin' contradiction, partly truth and partly fiction.)

Or, maybe I'm just selfish.

Mystery is cool as far as it goes. But I didn't come to this the way many do - via the paranormal or a personal experience. I have read up on the evidence maybe as much as anybody, because wild animals are a big thing with me, and that's what the evidence says this is.

I just want to know for sure, even though I find the evidence so compelling that I would bet everything I have that the sasquatch is real, if I ever had to do so, and I'm not a betting man.

Don't count on it. There would no doubt be as many trigger-happy fools looking to shoot one AFTER its discovery as there are right now.

If not more.

I think the number of "trigger-happy fools" out there is substantially overstated. Many sighting reports are by hunters with the opportunity, who passed it up, mainly, because they thought it the wrong thing to do.

It won't get any easier for the "t-h f"s there are after confirmation than it was before.

Yes - but only if it means "Finding Bigfoot" ends.

One wishes to the Almighty that those folks would do the scientific followup *on their own database*, rather than besmirch that data - an evidence linchpin - with that show.

Bigfoot being proved real doesn't matter to me at this point. It is totally false no matter what, looking at it the way todays science would tell you too and forever. At the end of the day a new fossil will be added or placed on Earth to be discovered to solidify it. When the body is discovered it will vaguely match reports. Nobody here will leave. Nothing will change in some forum posters views to what bigfoot should look like. I'm beginning to believe it's not possible, but I got to admit, a great majority of the human race is unintelligent and always has been like me. I guess it could work considering history.. I always thought before and still do that a bigfoot body was recovered by an everyday human being like me and you back in 10,000BC. Because it doesn't matter, a fossil doesn't exist still to this day. Nothing exists like bigfoot in the fossil record.

Edited by kampz

Yes, it woud be cool. And I can say nanner nanner to certain people.

ANd no. I worry they will act too aggressive or do stupid stuff or the stories of them being canibals will get attention and there will be war. Actual war. And there are too many around here --I don't want them to want to kill humans.

Edited by Kings Canyon

After reading all the posts, i still feel that "IF" BF does exists they have been smart enough to evade humans. It also makes sense and they have made it clear that they want to be left alone.

Is it going to take an injury or worse a death of one of them or a human before we get that message ?

Umm they can not care all they want, the point I was trying to make is that the land 'belongs' to the government, if they wanted to turn it into a carpark, they could. If BF is discovered, they can just as easy turn it into habitat.

Like I said, as humans expand outward more and more into new areas by development the BF's land shrinks. Better they be discovered now and given suitable areas than in say 50 or so years when there will be less to offer them.

I've read through this thread and I must say your the only one making a reasonable well thought out argument. I'm always dumbfounded by the ignorance many people have with how public land is utilized in this nation.

For god sakes people, what chance does a MYTH have without conservation consideration? Does anyone think that the mountain gorilla or the chimpanzee is better off if the world didn't know about them? Or if Diane Fossey or Jane Goodall didn't go down there and bring each species to the limelight? I would bet my bottom dollar that the mountain gorilla would be extinct right now if not for conservation efforts. Species recognition didn't doom the species........it saved it. Because it brings global money and pressure into the equation. It tells the native African "Hey, don't eat the gorilla......we will buy you a goat instead".

The thought that any species is better off if we as humans ignore it is quite frankly ludicrous. There are more humans on the planet than at any time in world history. The burden we are placing on earth and our fellow species is at a all time high. We are bending this planet to serve OUR needs, to feed us, clothe us, shelter us, to give us cars to drive, cell phones to talk on and yes computers to share ideas with. This all comes at a very high cost for the planet as a whole.......it takes oil drilling, mining, logging, fishing, corporate farming, dam building, road building, train lines, electrical lines, cell phone towers, etc to support how our species chooses to live. And as the human population continues to soar? So will the demand for resources and the cost to those species trying to exist around us.

Can anyone make the argument that the endangered species act has caused the extinction of a species? Lynx, Wolf, Grizzly? Woodland Caribou?

I'm a hunter and I hunt for elk in the Selkirk mountains...........I've never once said to my self "Man! I got to get me one of those Woodland Caribou! Ten thousand dollar fine......a couple years in jail and a loss of hunting privileges and the confiscation of my rifle and pickup.......oh boy what fun!" As a true conservationist I would never shoot one anyhow........but boy howdy what a deterrent. And oddly enough giant groups of poachers haven't descended on the Selkirk mountains to eradicate them either. Once in a blue moon a hunter without a lot of experience will make a very costly mistake of thinking one is an elk.

This whole concept that after discovery somehow Bigfoot will be decimated by roving bands of poachers is simply imaginations of urban people who do not understand the situation running wild. It's crazy talk, plain and simple.

Imagine Bubba down at the bar right now bragging to his buddies that he shot a Bigfoot. What happens next? Well...........for one everyone will roll their eyes and make fun of him. And more importantly? If someone did report him to a game warden the game warden would do the same thing.......roll his eyes and make jokes.

Now imagine Bubba in the same situation except now Bigfoot is a recognized species by science and under the full protection of the endangered species act. Check out "wild justice" on Nat Geo if you have any misconceptions on what is going to happen to Bubba once the report is taken by the game warden. Bubba is in for a world of hurt...........trust me.

http://channel.natio...l/wild-justice/

Peoples understanding of how this would play out is bass ackwards. Bubba has open season on Bigfoot right now. He could shoot a thousand of them if he could at this moment and time under our laws. Because it's not illegal to kill myths and legends, it also means he can hunt pixies, fairies, gnomes, hobgoblins, trolls and ogopogo if he wants........... He can also kill black bear, deer, elk, moose and many other species IF he has a tag and license for that species and is hunting in season. He CANNOT buy a tag and license for any species that is protected by the endangered species act. They are off limits period end of story, and if you kill one you better have the scars to prove that you were under extreme danger by said animal. Other wise the court system is going to throw the book at you.

That's how it works here in the good ol USA. But this "danger" is trivial.

If Bigfoot was recognized? The more important part of recognition isn't protecting it from roving bands of Bubbas. It's protecting it from large corporations that are looking to turn his habitat into the next gold mine or clear cut. Except for specific wilderness areas (I.e. Bob Marshall or Frank Church) or our national parks.........Federal forests ARE Logged........Federal lands ARE mined......Federal water ways are fished and dam'd. Any species not recognized by science gets NO Federal consideration..........no impact studies, nothing.....

These are the facts and while the "Bubba run amok" theory sounds good, it simply doesn't hold any water. No bush trade poacher poses the same threat to the mountain gorilla like a giant corporation eye balling the Virunga mountains looking to strip mine them for rare earth minerals for cell phones, or gold or copper or timber, whatever. Without those mountains the mountain gorilla is gone forever.......period. And without official scientific recognition? We would be powerless to stop the giant corporation from plundering the region because myths do not get protection from conservation groups.

Edited by norseman

Norseman: sentimentally, the mystery is cool. But aside from my selfish reasons for wanting confirmation, you're right.

I don't get it?

"Had" to? Of course not. In fact, they are now an ENDANGERED species for a reason. Between civil unrest and poaching them for bush meat, there aren't very many mountain gorillas left alive. Only hundreds, and way under a thousand.

Humans tend to destroy other species and other species are often better off without us knowing they exist. If it weren't for Dian Fossey, the gorillas of Rwanda would probably be extinct by now. That lady did amazing things to save them - she dedicated her entire life to their protection. Bless her heart.

If you had mentioned Bigfoot to Dian Fossey, she would likely have laughed. She devoted herself to the gorillas because science had confirmed their existence and range. No confirmation, no gorillas today. Count on that.

Im with Twilight on this. It should never be found. Humans have a bad habit of murder and slaughter. For me there is already enough evidence to make hunting them illegal.

I also believe they have good reasons to hide from us, they have been watching us for thounsands of years. If they are out there, they are masters in hiding from humans.

But hunting them isn't illegal yet, at least not in a lot of places (TX for one, where there appears to be a population concentration). If a state allows nothing to be shot that is not specifically mentioned in the regs, then it's illegal there. How many states have that rule, though?

And when there's no more habitat to hide in, no more hiding.

Edited by DWA

• 3 weeks later...
  • masterbarber locked this topic