Population Pockets

BobbyO

I recall reading in the Denver Post the story of large tracks found along the shore of the Eagle River

and your role in evaluating them.

Glad to hear from you here.

Didn't I read your story of an outfitter in Montana who would make up

peanut butter sandwiches to set out for the sasquatches when he took his clients to a certain area.

One of the clients bagged a big elk late one day and couldn't get it back to camp, So outfitter and

hunter went to camp intending to come back for it the next day. When they arose, there was the elk

outside their camp. The sasquatches had brought it back in exchange for the peanut butter sandwiches.

And so it goes...

RH

K Foster, you have subtracted way too much area. Sasquatches don't need much more than knee high grass to hide, and believe me, they can hide with no cover at all. Just freeze and pretend you're a tree. Or couch and be a boulder. Or lie flat and slink along like so much short vegetation on the move. Lie flat they do a lot.

Heck, even I can hide that way. If you aren't looking for me, you are likely not going to see me. You don't have to be a bf or an Army Ranger to hide well.

And they are quite comfortable on all fours. So change ten feet of vegetation to five feet. For living and perfecct comfort, they just need cover around their own height. You don't want to slink or crawl everywhere you go. And the half mile buffer zone? Forget it. They live much closer to use than you think. Many folks on here can attest that they live very close to us indeed. They venture into towns regularly. I recall reading one sighting in Chicago. There is much we don't know. But sighting reports don't comport with your boundaries and rules for habitat. They are in the hinterlands but also in small towns and even larger towns. I found what I take for a stick structure in Fresno City limits about three days ago.

There are way more of them in way more places. Just because we can't see them doesn't mean they aren't there. We haven't been looking in a great many places we should have because of a lot of assumptions that they behave like elk or something. They are not as limited as our perceptions of them are. In my opinion, obviously. But there is a lot of evidence to back up a wider distribution and possibly bigger numbers than we assume.

Edited by Kings Canyon

Guest COGrizzly

I recall reading in the Denver Post the story of large tracks found along the shore of the Eagle River

and your role in evaluating them.

RH

Check this out. One of my co-workers was that guy's neighbor. My co-workers dad was in town when the neighbor found those tracks. The dad went down to check them out. He said what ever made them was very large and very very heavy. My co-worker/buddy wishes he had gone down to see them.

And a rare sighting from Sojourner! Sweet!

Edited by COGrizzly

kfoster, nice posts.

Scary thought.

If we lose the electric grid (via coronal mass ejection), I don't want to be around to see how we humans react.

It'll be three days of panic (until the fridge is empty), two months of chaos as anarchy reigns and the die-off begins and a year or two of further die off while every nuclear reactor on the planet melts down and kills most life on earth. This will be a sterile ball of dirt within a few years.

Homo sapien sapiens will probably be the shortest lived hominid genus ever. If bigfoots curiousity will be it's undoing, our intelligence will be OUR undoing - it is not an evolutionary advantage if we use the technology we use our big brains to create in order to destroy ourselves. Go look into the "Carrington Event" and ask yourselves what would happen if it happened today (and we are overdue for another).

So, it doesn't really matter if we are taking over sasquatch habitat in the long run. Mother Nature's gonna knock us on our behinds any day now and nothing will matter ever again for most of us. If people survive, once again we'll be hunters and gatherers living in caves, telling stories of when we flew in the air like birds and crossed the oceans in metal boats.

And the half mile buffer zone? Forget it. They live much closer to use than you think. Many folks on here can attest that they live very close to us indeed.

I'll agree to that. "My troop" live apparently seasonally within 20 miles of a huge mall :)

Edited by madison5716

I contaced a friend of mine (Chuck R.) who lives in Alamosa County, Colorado, (who has told me before about a couple of experiences with BF in CO), and I asked him to write a summary report to share here.

Below is his report as written by him (I only edited the surnames with initials).

I figure this might help those of you researching in CO.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I have actually had 2, maybe you could say 3 Bigfoot incidences related to elk here in southern Colorado.

The 1st was around 2003ish and I had a teenage friend with me elk hunting named Jan P.

We were both hidden in a ditch in the middle of field between nearby forest areas is west of Antonito near Osier Park in the San Juan mountains & in the Rio Grande Nat. Forest in Conejos County within a mile or 2 of the New Mexico border just off Forest Road 103 & around 106.

One lone bull elk came within 30 feet of us since we were below ground level but it was not legal to shoot it so we let it go.

Just before dark, we heard this very scary scream in the nearby woods that made the hair on the back of our necks stand up and we immediately left the area even though I had a 30.06 loaded rifle in my hands.

We came back the next day and searched the woods but found nothing.

Somewhere near this area, the local sheriff actually has video footage of 2 sets of Bigfoot tracks in the snow leading away from his niece's home.

Give or take a year from that one, I was with the same guy, his mother and my old girlfriend, Lisa K. in a remote area about 10 miles north of Osier park called Fox Creek.

It had been talked about in the local paper as a Bigfoot hot spot.

We went down there to find Bigfoot and found hundreds of 10-20 foot trees broken about 8-10 foot off the ground and pointed back down at the ground all along the Forest Road 101 which is dirt road that we were on.

We all stopped in the middle of the most broken trees and started searching the area on foot.

We heard a very loud crashing through the brush and Jan & I took off running after it.

I was carrying my .44 magnum, a camera and other stuff & just couldn't catch up to whatever was running through the woods and we got so far away from the women that I was worried they'd get lost so we guys turned around & found them and got back to the vehicle.

I always thought that was a Bigfoot.

The last one was with Greg T. elk hunting around 2008 on FR 380 near South Mountain next to Summitville in section 26 on the 1st curve.

Since that road is off of the main road going to the Summitville gold mine which is plowed, we pulled off the road to hike down it but we immediately got stuck in the deep snow.

We were out of the truck looking at how to get unstuck when we heard that hair raising scream about a 1/4 mile away.

This time I was armed with a .338 magnum rifle and Greg had a semi-automatic 30.06 rifle and we took off on foot after the noise.

When we got close to where we thought the noise came from, we tried to hike off the un-plowed road into the forest but the snow was up to my waist.

We just had normal boots on and didn't have snow shoes so we didn't get far and had to turn around.

The next year, we were elk hunting the same area and found large tracks in the snow within an 1/8th mile of the noise spot and walking along the same road.

The tracks were too old to identify but they were either a bear or Bigfoot and bears should have been off the mountain by that time since that is close to 12,000 foot elevation.

While attending a CO. Dept. of Wildlife meeting I asked the game wardens if I could shoot a Bigfoot and they claimed it was OK since it is not a game animal and i may someday since we must have a body if we are ever going to prove that Bigfoot exist.

One other local Bigfoot story I heard was from 1 of Lisa's friend's I talked to personally and had him take us to the exact spot.

He was walking on a trail to a ski hut just off FR 108 to Spruce Hole about 8 miles from the NM border in the Rio Grande Nat. Forest and he smelled a strong weird smell and searched the area.

He found BF tracks coming through the forest up to the trail which is actually a closed off old logging road.

The tracks stopped at the edge of the road and then reappeared on the other side maybe 12 feet or more away which scared him and he left the area.

Can't remember his name & he has since moved to NM.

---------------------------------------------

If anybody wants to contact Chuck, PM me and I will send his email address.

Guest BastetsCat

Check this out. One of my co-workers was that guy's neighbor. My co-workers dad was in town when the neighbor found those tracks. The dad went down to check them out. He said what ever made them was very large and very very heavy. My co-worker/buddy wishes he had gone down to see them.

And a rare sighting from Sojourner! Sweet!

And wwhere the tracks were found is very close to an Interstate 70 underpass that is part of a cow pasture/ haymeadow.... Off of the hillside down into the river...Bellyache ridge is all cedar and soil heavy in the mineral gypsum. There is a lot of sage. Same on the north side of I-70. Though it could be a bottle neck that offers access to both sides of the interstate.

In my experience from childhood the ridge above the river there has Deer, Elk, and a lot of Rabbits. To the east on top of the ridge you run into the Diamond Star ranch and it gets way more 'lush'. Meadows of native grasses, aspens, pine. Most likely berries and many other readily available food sources. One side of the Ranch is in lower elevations that are sage and cedar; it climbs and sort of skirts the mountain that is Bellyache ridge. Goes almost all the way to Edwards. The wolcot slope of belly ache used to be HEAVY elk habitat up in the scrub oak and sage.

Back in the day when we got heavy snow there were a lot of ranchers along the stretch of the Eagle River from that ranch all the way to Eagle. It wasn't uncommon to see drown sheep hung up on the small islands in the runoff season (spring). It also provides fish.

If you cross reference where the houses are to the paths that could be traveled in the dark of night I think you will see the migration pattern of where they travel. I sort of suspect that there is a community of them in the red cliffs of Bellyache since a normal in shape human can walk or scale up and down them in a stair step way. However because it is only accesible through Private high dollar access not many humans get over there.

There is also the area between Gypsum and Dotsero...South side is not easily accesible so gets not a lot of people up in those ravines. Even if there are lots of people in the pull offs during the day.

The 4 wheel drive access to Belly ache ridge from Eagle is now often blocked or closed to vehicles. There was a housing development built in the old sawmill flat. I know of at least one account by some guys that chased a BF in a Jeep up on that ridge.

SSR Team

What a refreshing thread this is..;)

Guest BastetsCat

Definatley is a refreshing twist... seems to be...in my opinion...that something might come to light here and that it will be a good thing. Thanks for the topic.

Guest kfoster

Kings Canyon brings up a good point on what a sasquatch can do when it wants to as far as getting close to humans and using whatever available cover is available. I suppose I see real sasquatch habitat as the places they can raise offspring in relative safety. Much needed, just like your house is needed, even though you leave your house to pursue work and to pursue other activities. Squatch of course go searching for food, be it prey or be it trash if they have to resort to it. They go where they have to go, even if it is in human habitat.

When I looked at the route taken by that large sasquatch in 2001 along the Eagle River, I was amazed how brazen was it's route. It had followed the river from the Gypsum area all the way through the city of Eagle down on the river. Most likely at night, but still there were likely cars whizzing along the interstate not far away and homes within a stones throw along much of it's route. It obviously was also walking in and out of the water at times, brrrr, early spring melt. I spoke with Vern Parsons of Grand Junction, who with his son found the western most known edge of the line of tracks near Gypsum and with Bill Brice, who found the eastern most portion of the line of tracks just east of Eagle on the south side of the River. I'm pretty sure the tracks were made the same night along that route and separated by about 7 miles. All persons who found the tracks were fishing for brown trout, which bite pretty good that time of year. My full evaluation of the tracks, based on interviews and the tracks themselves is quite long and not something one could put on a forum, but I am convinced completely that the 19 inch tracks were very real. It is just amazing for this person who prior to 1993 was a bonifide complete skeptic in the matter.

Though I tagged sasquatch habitat as those places needed for reproduction and peace for the big critters, I would not at all be surprised if a sasquatch came into the residential areas of Colorado Springs on it's western edges to take home one of those residential mule deer from somebodies lawn. Cougars doing that would not surprise me either. Actually, some of the highest density cougar and bear populations in Colorado are right there next door to Colorado Springs due to the prey species there, plus trash for bears and maybe sasquatch. Sad to me when bears or sasquatch have to dumpster dive. I wonder about human disease transmission to sasquatch in close proximity to man, but then since they don't even really exist, why worry.

It must have been somebody else in regards to sasquatch and peanut butter in Montana. My eldest son lives near Kalispel, so I get up there quite a bit, but have no input from that state. Actually seems pretty devoid of much activity for sasquatch, but maybe only because there are such vast forest spaces where they don't have to get seen by humans much at all. Wolves now are also putting great pressures on the ungulates in some good supposed sasquatch habitat areas of Montana. Wolves seem especially to like elk, as elk are slower than deer in escape. I kind of wondered about wolves being a very direct competitor for sasquatch, which may explain the seeming sasquatch apparant disdain for dogs. One of the Colorado sightings down in the south end of the San Luis Valley in the December 93 and January 94 timeframe had to do with a german shepard being killed and slammed against it's owners house, thrown more than 30 feet through the air after dispatch, and the dogs body thrown over a 6 foot fence.

No one, including me, is any kind of expert on sasquatch. If I don't use the words, maybe, perhaps, supposedly, I theorize, and such enough, I should. I also want you to know that I am a long ways from having answers even I am pleased with. I have studied deeply every aspect of the subject I deem relevant, historical and contemporary. I really value the personal interviews with some of the hunting guides and reluctant Colorado residents I have made through the years. Most of them are interviews that no one will see. I also base all my theories on only areas of North America where tracks that I personally deem genuine have occurred. I simply throw out all sightings where I can not see physical evidence left behind in some form or another. Maybe extreme, but it gets me closer to what I want to know. Not that I have to see tracks at the location of a sighting itself, but that I need to know that sasquatch are even in the area itself. I have also a number of law enforcement sightings in Colorado that I have found, and can not share due to the fact these guys have their jobs to protect. They have to survive and some story hitting the news is not good for them. Just have to trust me, sasquatch has been seen by a number of professional law enforcement officers in Colorado. The Eagle County tracks opened up some doors for me that I had not expected. The more recent report from a law enforcement officer in Conejos County as placed on the BFRO was only about 3 or 4 miles from where I found tracks in 1993. However, I did not interview him and know no more about the incident than what is on the BFRO website. I am not a BFRO investigator at present, though was for a short period. I have other pretty good personal sighting evidence from law enforcement in Conejos County 2, Park County 1, and Eagle County 3, and have to leave it at that. The 3 from Eagle County were all one incident, so maybe should only count as 1, not as any kind of "population of sasquatch" data.

I'm also pretty sure we only scratch the surface of the sighting data. I had a farmer that I was advising on what herbicides to use on some pasture who mentioned that he was recently in Colorado for a month and was doing a daily 7 mile hike along some forest roads and trails. I ask him if he had ever seen any bear or cougar tracks on his daily hike and his answer was no. But then, out of the blue he says, I have a good friend who saw a "giant hairy man" cross in front of his car on the Pass between Walsenburg and Fort Garland. I said "you mean a sasquatch?", he says "a what?", so I said, "you know, a bigfoot". He said "what's a bigfoot?". Seriously, this guy had never even heard of bigfoot. Guess some people don't even watch any television or read the newspapers. Here was a guy who had never heard of a bigfoot, and his friend had never heard of a bigfoot and just called it a "giant hairy man". I don't know what is more mysterious, the two guys that had never heard of bigfoot, or bigfoot itself.

• Upvote 1

BFF Patron

Thanks for your keen insights and protection of witnesses that are LEO's Keith. Also, your insight that there are people who have never heard of Bigfoot gives some around here pause in regard to the Sierra Kills adventure thread, believe you me.

You know, as a former Colorado resident of about 10 years or so, I am really surprised there are not more than 108 sightings in the state. I guess it's the lack of rain and bodies of water. ... But nothing in Rocky Mountain National Park? And all that around Colorado Springs? I know Pike's Peak gets a lot of traffic on one little road, but that many sightings? Maybe they have some connection with Cheyenne Mountain? (Yeah, that must be it.) Is there some reason there would be so many sightings there at Co. Springs, that you can think of? And not more in the rest?

Edited by Kings Canyon

Guest COGrizzly

I have spoke with several other witnesses over the years around this valley who claim they have saw one. South of Eagle near Sylvan Lakes in 2009, I believe. Cutting down a Christmas tree, beginning of December in a snowstorm. Both she and her BF saw it in the Aspens above them.