Minnesota Howls-23 Minutes

Northern Lights

I didn't even realize there was a forum over there. When I see this type of paranoid hostility directed at folks who are working toward the same scientific objective, that is a telltale indicator that scientific discovery is not truly the hostile parties prime motivator. When someone depends on producing Sasquatch related evidence to support themselves, that automatically makes all of the evidence they produce suspect, and therein lies the problem.

Bingo.

Guest FootDude

Mike has been out with us for a few years. I think I first met him on the 2009 BFRO expedition. Jim spent a lot of time in the field with him last spring researching the area where these were recorded.

He's a quiet, older gentleman (60ish). He's not exactly the type who would perpetrate a hoax. He does have a few "interesting" theories and such, but on the whole neither Jim nor I have detected any falsehood in him. If he is somehow hoaxing us, it would have to be pretty elaborate and for no gain on his part that I can see. He'd also have to be a very good liar.

Anyway, if either Jim or I had gotten any wiff that he had in someway manufactured these sounds, we would not have put them on our site.

Well to me if you've got a trusted researcher that you have built a solid relationship with, that would take the issue with this possibly being a hoax from the recording side off the table.

I assembled a collage of canid howls from my collection including one of the Minn. howls at 155% . Once your ear gets tuned in to the consistent ring of a canid howl you can tell it when you hear it.

Canidvoices.wav

Edited by southernyahoo

Well to me if you've got a trusted researcher that you have built a solid relationship with, that would take the issue with this possibly being a hoax from the recording side off the table.

I have no idea how isolated this area is. I'm sure they believe thats what they recorded, consider the possibility that someone completely foreign to the parties involved was playing sounds over a PA speaker, similar to how you would use callblasting techniques. Maybe to freak people out, maybe it's another bigfooter trying to see if anything responds to his recordings, and maybe it's authentic. All i suggested earlier the decay times sound funny. If ALL of the animals were in some sort of canyon, and so was the recorder, that might explain it.

BFF Patron

Yep, me too. Matt seems to have instituted a ban on anyone having anything to do with the SRA now. Sorry, NorthernLights. I think he's trying to stop us before we get started. We must have touched a nerve somewhere.

One BFRO investigator we know just got kicked out by Matt for doing nothing more than having posted a link to the MN Howls somewhere within the BFRO and, apparently, for knowing us (nevermind that fact that the only reason he knows us is because we met on BFRO expeditions). That's it. I'm guessing it was done to set an example of what will happen to investigators who speak with us. What's sad is that even if someone from inside the BFRO offered us internal data, we wouldn't take it; that's not ethical and we won't be involved with anything like that.

I wonder if they are going through and purging all my old posts and expedition reports from the blue boards now. :rolleyes:

Andy

Don't feel bad, the stories are legend of the folks that get grinded up and spit out. I can honestly say I never got close to the kind of let down you describe..... and somebody was watching over me to keep me from devoting too much to someone driven by avarice and one-upsmanship. Hey if you are President without a board that is how the ship of state is run. Move on, take what you learned and make it better for a practicum student researcher. Show them how it is NOT done.

I truly hope you are wrong that mono got screwed over something so trivial. What a loss.

Guest FootDude

I assembled a collage of canid howls from my collection including one of the Minn. howls at 155% . Once your ear gets tuned in to the consistent ring of a canid howl you can tell it when you hear it.

Canidvoices.wav

As I said earlier, there are canids in the background of the files that the SRA posted so that rules out your earlier theory.

Either this a hoax or real, but isn't that the bottom line with any Sasquatch evidence?

I have no idea how isolated this area is. I'm sure they believe thats what they recorded, consider the possibility that someone completely foreign to the parties involved was playing sounds over a PA speaker, similar to how you would use callblasting techniques. Maybe to freak people out, maybe it's another bigfooter trying to see if anything responds to his recordings, and maybe it's authentic. All i suggested earlier the decay times sound funny. If ALL of the animals were in some sort of canyon, and so was the recorder, that might explain it.

That's what I mentioned early in the thread:

IMO one way some of these vocalizations could have been faked is to record canine howls, 'slow' them down so they deepen, and then call-blast the previously recorded altered howls. In order to make the hoax noteworthy, the hoaxers would have had to have known someone was recording them.

There are a number of supposed Sasquatch vocalizations here as well though, and some of them appear much more distant than others.

Edited by FootDude

Don't feel bad, the stories are legend of the folks that get grinded up and spit out. I can honestly say I never got close to the kind of let down you describe..... and somebody was watching over me to keep me from devoting too much to someone driven by avarice and one-upsmanship. Hey if you are President without a board that is how the ship of state is run. Move on, take what you learned and make it better for a practicum student researcher. Show them how it is NOT done.

I truly hope you are wrong that mono got screwed over something so trivial. What a loss.

Oh, I don't feel bad. Walking away last winter was very liberating. I do appreciate the BFRO and even Matt, they got me into this and I learned a lot from them, but it is time for other things.

(Mono is fine, by the way.)

There are a number of supposed Sasquatch vocalizations here as well though, and some of them appear much more distant than others.

This is why I think the whole file is slowed down somehow. I'd be interested in more files from Mike and his recorder, even if they are known critters from all the recording over the summer. Whatever was howling was doing it like it was a nightly thing when the trains come by. Typical canid behavior. The idea Mike did a single recording and on the first night got monster squatch calls isn't good odds either.

Canidvoices.wav

I just played this for the first time and one of my two dogs reacted to it. The other sat at my feet as usual, but the other did react to these howls.

Conversely, I've been playing the MN howls for the last month with no reaction at all. I don't know if there is anything to that, but just thought it was interesting.

Nice recording by the way.

Guest FootDude

This is why I think the whole file is slowed down somehow. I'd be interested in more files from Mike and his recorder, even if they are known critters from all the recording over the summer.

As I posted earlier if the whole file was slowed, then the background train whistles and wolf/coyote dog howls would be slowed as well and they do not appear to have been.

Therefore we are listening to the correct real-time vocalizations.

The idea Mike did a single recording and on the first night got monster squatch calls isn't good odds either.

The recorder was left on for 20 hours and he got 20 minutes of howls.

If I recall correctly someone posted that there seems to be a bit of activity in the area as another researcher also captured howls.

It feels like your grasping at straws southernyahoo.

I don't know what them sounds are,but my two dogs that are not afraid of nothing are grouped up under my legs as i sit in my computer chair.

^Outdoor dogs? Mine of whimpy indoor lap dogs (wife's choice).

As I posted earlier if the whole file was slowed, then the background train whistles and wolf/coyote dog howls would be slowed as well and they do not appear to have been.

If I recall correctly someone posted that there seems to be a bit of activity in the area as another researcher also captured howls.

Yes, the private property owner had unusual activity so that is why the recorder was placed in that location. Can't tell you how boring it is to listen to hours of endless recordings and how exciting it is when something is heard. I walk around my house doing other things while listening.

Still waiting for any further recordings from the area. Other howls have allegedly been recorded, so let's see what the researchers call wolf or coyote howls, then we can compare those. I guess Mike doesn't have any more recordings?

BFF Patron

The train whistles don't sound natural to me. They sound somehow distorted, describe it how you want. Go back and record another set of train whistles then, what's so difficult with that? I'd suggest that before telling a long time member with expertise that they are grasping at straws?!

Edited by bipedalist

The train whistles don't sound natural to me. They sound somehow distorted, describe it how you want. Go back and record another set of train whistles then, what's so difficult with that? I'd suggest that before telling a long time member with expertise that they are grasping at straws?!

Well, not so fast there, either. I can get the frustration. We sometimes tend to be too skeptical, so much so that a hint of Skeptical Inquirer starts leaking in to the dialogue. I want to know: what evidence is there that this is not the original unaltered recording? I'm not seeing anything.