Killing Bigfoot

Guest Time Traveler

BFF Patron

.....I hope the apes win but it begets a whole new, more serious problem, if they are left alone after discovery.

I think that's it exactly, they will do fine alone after discovery just like they are more than likely doing fine now after surviving all the "posse's" of the past.

Edited by bipedalist

I used the bush meat trade as an example of how different people can be. Some would condone killing anything while some wouldn't. As an example of how research can spiral out of control is the Ivorybill woodpecker. Could use the Whooping crane or even the American Bison for that matter. Hopefully in the 21st century every scientist on the Planet won't need to have his/her own specimen. Look at the DNA researchers fighting over every cell and hair, who has what, who found what, who tells first. Even the common layperson has something to say about DNA now a days.

I hate to burst your bubble but America is the melting pot of the world. There are people living here who have eaten primates and any other animal you care to mention. In fact poaching animals world wide to be eaten is on the rise. A huge market is out there even if you don't believe it. Large hunt clubs have annual dinners for members. Some wealthy private home owners host dinners for friends of flamingo, lion, tiger, things we know are endangered but it adds to the festivities for those who enjoy it. A trend in the Vampire phenomenon has brought about interest in eating like the royals of Europe hundreds of years ago. I find it disgusting to eat swan cignets, puppies and unborn fawns but that's just me and I don't eat meat any way and I live in the 21st century where I hope things will be all rosey and bright. We don't know if there are thousands of the apes in America, Population of anything was counted by the number of skins in the early 19th century. Now it can be done by plane as in herd animals. By grid for flying birds. It should be imperative now to formulate controls, protection and welfare of these creatures. Have you ever mentioned it to a politician? They don't care and want no part of it. I often wonder if it will turn out like saving the Redwood trees in CA in the '70's. A giant push pull between the people who will protect them and those who will cut them down. I hope the apes win but it begets a whole new, more serious problem, if they are left alone after discovery.

Sure. America is a melting pot.........in URBAN areas. Have you taken any drives through RURAL areas of the US? Not much cultural diversity there. And the American Bison wasn't wiped out because of scientific research.......it was done to defeat the Native American and put his land under the plow.

I have belonged to a few "hunt clubs" and it got about as exotic as elk or venison........nobody wants a stuffed chimp on their wall nor do they want to have one for supper. It really is that simple. I cannot speak for Vampires...........

But your point is well taken, you belong to the crowd that states that it's better for Sasquatch to remain in the realm of pixies and gnomes with no scientific recognition as a species than for ONE animal to be shot in the name of science so that it is recognized as a species. And it and it's habitat can be managed in a way that is beneficial for a real species.

Consider this.........when the USFS considers a timber sale, do they do a Sasquatch impact study on the proposed area? No. And why is that? Because myths do not receive biological benefits from the US government. The only way to install such a fair practice is for a body to be shoved into the face of said politician that doesn't take it seriously.........so he now takes it seriously. Grainy photos, footprints, audio recordings and all the rest are simply shoved under the rug as kooky hoaxes, period end of story. (The type of goals most researchers set for themselves)

No one as of yet has convinced me that a Sasquatch is better off and less in danger of human abuse UNDISCOVERED than he is as a recognized species to science. The bulldozers, chainsaw, asphalt and concrete pose a much greater threat to this species than any newly inspired "Bubbas" from a recent discovery hankering themselves some Squatch steaks........it's not even on the same planet.

Remember the Gilligan's Island episode where the Big Game Hunter Kincaid (isn't it pathetic I remember his name?) came to the island to hunt the one thing he had never hunted? A man. I am sure that some ridiculously rich person somewhere in the world has done it, why not a Bigfoot? By the way, I find the thought of it repugnant.

The thought of hunting a bigfoot or hunting a man? :haha:

I used to think I would pull the trigger given the opportunity, but my thinking these days as I still hunt deer and elk every year is the possible consequences that come with pulling the trigger. If I kill one, will I have to defend myself by killing two or more and is that chance worth it if there are others in the area?

How many death threats and how much harrassment will I endure the rest of my life for killing one? Will it outweigh the possble gain?

There's a lot to think about...

Good post.

There is a lot to think about......and what if it's more human than ape? It's very possible that a person will suffer from guilt and anxiety for doing the deed. Although I'm not much of a subscriber to the "bigfoot army" theories, it's very possible that the person who shoots one in the name of science will receive death threats from his fellow man for sure.

I can only advise that if a person has reservations about doing it? Then don't do it. Take the experience for what it is and let the animal walk. Sometimes I talk a bit roughly about Patterson and Gimlin not shooting Patty and solving this mystery before I was born. I'm talking out of frustration....... The bottom line is is that those two men made their decision from day one and stuck to it, and I respect that even though I personally don't agree with it.

I would shoot, and my reason for shooting I have explained numerous times in this forum. I don't want to eat a primate...........I don't want it mounted on my wall and I don't want the notoriety. But I would do it in the name of science and I would do it for the good of the species as a whole.

• Upvote 1

We as a society, even amongst the most, shall we say, crude, level have largely evolved considerably from the era of when killing animals just for the fun of it was the norm.

Except for hunting clubs in South America who hunt homeless street children for fun. And a whole lot of hunters I know who do it for fun and for food. My brothers in law love hunting - it usually ends up in the freezer, but trust me, my BIL's do not need the calories, they need a good diet program.

I'm not really knocking hunters, because I love elk jerky and human beings have always been hunters (and we are an omnivorous species) but to deny that it's done in fun seems innocent.

What will happen will happen. I am just watching this train wreck go by and seeing where it ends up.

Edited by madison5716

AMAHNEE- there are several states that offer a "free roam" policy towards many mammals across the country. IMO the Sasquatch should be afforded the same free roam policy. The only hang-up would be damage to private property which would have to be midigated.

If there proven real, more people will go out looking for them, signs of there presence will become more apparent. Once they're found to be real, then what?

Except for hunting clubs in South America who hunt homeless street children for fun.

But we're not in or talking about South America are we?

And a whole lot of hunters I know who do it for fun and for food. My brothers in law love hunting - it usually ends up in the freezer,

I don't doubt the fun factor, and I'm not innocent about the process. I grew up in a rural community with 8 people in my class. When I was a kid we could bring guns to school in our cars to go hunting, and it was fully expected that some kids would be missing during deer season with no repercussions...heck, I was one of them. You are missing my point that in general folks don't go out just for a wholesale "kill thrill". While yes, they enjoy the sport, overwhelmingly most hunters use it to provide entirely, or supplement their larder. Witness your brother(s) in law. In the 19th Century, the entire population of bison was nearly exterminated by buffalo hunts. It was even known for people to ride on flat cars or hanging out of the windows of passenger cars of trains, shooting and killing them as fast as possible while the train sped by. That's what I'm talking about, slaughter of animals just for the sake of killing. I suppose it could happen, but I don't think we'll ever see such wanton cruelty in this country ever again to the point a species is hunted to extermination.

Edited by Ike

Crabshack, I'm gonna need you to run that one by me again. I don't think I get it.

I believe he is referring to the 411 book that come out recently.

Except for hunting clubs in South America who hunt homeless street children for fun. And a whole lot of hunters I know who do it for fun and for food. My brothers in law love hunting - it usually ends up in the freezer, but trust me, my BIL's do not need the calories, they need a good diet program.

I'm not really knocking hunters, because I love elk jerky and human beings have always been hunters (and we are an omnivorous species) but to deny that it's done in fun seems innocent.

What will happen will happen. I am just watching this train wreck go by and seeing where it ends up.

I love hunting and I would not do it if I didn't

However the kill is a very small part of the process

If it was about the killing I am sure I could find a slaughter house to work at

Edited by MagniAesir

Okay, well I've yet to even hear about what thats about. Care to shine some light on it for me?

Sure.

It has to do with addressing the strange missing persons cases in US Parks and Forests. These cases are selected when obvious causes of "probable" death are ruled out such as a drowning or a fall, etc.

http://www.nabigfootsearch.com/home.html

I love hunting and I would not do it if I didn't

However the kill is a very small part of the process

If it was about the killing I am sure I could find a slaughter house to work at

Had to plus one you on that. I heard a great quote the other day.

"Some people hunt their entire lives and never realize that it's not the animal we are after."

If I had to put a percentage on it I would say the "kill" makes up about 1% or less of the time I spend in the field with my bow.