The Kill Club

norseman

I think someone like Justin Smeja (if his story is true) is the worst of the worst............ You have just shot a rare and elusive unknown species. You lose it. You come upon it's offspring, you shoot and kill it. And then you leave the body behind for the varmints to dine on? 

If Justin had no interest in proving this species to science? Then he had no business taking the shot(s). It wasn't a threat, it wasn't food, he didn't attempt to sell the gall bladders to the Chinese as a poacher. It was just a huge waste. He treated the situation like you would shooting varmints, or trapping mice. Kill it and dispose of the body.

I would just handle the situation very differently so the animal did not die in vain, and the most good could be maximized for the species from the encounter.

As far as the media? If you posted a video on youtube of a autopsy of a Sasquatch? It would be viral in about 30 seconds. This is the least of my concerns.....

I like that point though, if you had the body you could upload terabytes of video footage and still have more to take!

I remember Robert Morgan talking about turning in minor physical evidence(Hot bigfoot poop if you must know) to Grover Krantz, which promptly disappeared. The scientists who had it did find enzymes in the feces that were thought to be unique to early-ish hominids and helped to digest raw meat and such. It was sort of a horse before the carriage ordeal so it was thrown out, no sane scientist was going to come out and say "this is bigfoot poop and here is what we found out about it" when bigfoot isn't "real" as such a discovery would disrupt so many of our rigid social complexes. Be interesting to know what else has been discarded over the years for the same reason...

Forget the photo! He had a body! And he just walked away.......

Edited by norseman

Forget the photo! He had a body! And he just walked away or so he says.......

Fixed that one for you

Not calling him a liar, but I can tell you for a fact that his pants are on fire XD

Edited by Xion Comrade

Guest Skunkapetracker

I was pro Kill, but had wavered somewhat in my stance in last few months after an incident involving an extremely rare Florida Panther (I did not kill it, but it was definitely stalking me!). I still think that a "Hunter" mentality is going to go further in finding solid evidence than a "Bird watcher" mentality will. For now, I still use hunter instincts and methods in my pursuits, though I am not sure if I would pull the trigger as quickly as I would have a year ago.

Why did being stalked by a cougar make you question your pro kill stance? Having a hard time connecting the dots there.

And I too have been stalked by a cougar as well as hunted them.

Guest Skunkapetracker

Why did being stalked by a cougar make you question your pro kill stance? Having a hard time connecting the dots there.

And I too have been stalked by a cougar as well as hunted them.

Florida Panthers are incredibly rare and protected. I could have rightfully killed the panther stalking me, but after considering the impact it could have on the almost extinct species (less than 100 left in the state), I could not bring myself to pull the trigger, So I very cautiously left instead.

Now, the fact that I saw the Panther was kind of a blessing, seeing as they are so rare. There are even fewer Skunk Ape sightings around my area, so shooting one that I came across could definitely do more damage than good to the species in my particular location.

That is the only thing that gives me pause. I am not saying I have outright decided against killing one on sight, but I am not going to be as quick to pull the trigger mentally.

Does that make more sense?

Guest keninsc

Florida Panthers are known to exist, so unless one is stalking you for dinner then killing one would now be cool. Self defense I'm completely good with, but since there is really nothing to be gained from shooting one and hauling it in for study, then passing on the shot would be the right call.

Florida Panthers are incredibly rare and protected. I could have rightfully killed the panther stalking me, but after considering the impact it could have on the almost extinct species (less than 100 left in the state), I could not bring myself to pull the trigger, So I very cautiously left instead.

Now, the fact that I saw the Panther was kind of a blessing, seeing as they are so rare. There are even fewer Skunk Ape sightings around my area, so shooting one that I came across could definitely do more damage than good to the species in my particular location.

That is the only thing that gives me pause. I am not saying I have outright decided against killing one on sight, but I am not going to be as quick to pull the trigger mentally.

Does that make more sense?

Yes but it's unfounded. If taking one individual dooms the population to extinction? It was doomed to extinction already.

Guest Skunkapetracker

Yes but it's unfounded. If taking one individual dooms the population to extinction? It was doomed to extinction already.

I do not disagree with that, by all indication, the species is going to be extinct soon. But I was also not going to be the one responsible for killing the species off in my particular area, which I very well could have been responsible for if I had killed that one. 

Again, I am not saying that I would not shoot a Skunk Ape if I came across one during an expedition, but I am just weighing the consequences of doing so more now that I have before. 

On the other side of that, while I can only speculate on the population of Sasquatch type creatures in North America, I am pretty sure there are more than 100. So shooting one that I come across wont be so destructive to the overall population. So I still agree with the pro-kill stance.

And this is my point. We know cougar in Florida are endangered, we know there is roughly 100 of them. We know what they like to eat and where they like to habitat. So the fish and game protects them and the endangered species act fights for their cause to continue to exist on this planet!

Sasquatch has none of that, when bulldozers show up? They have no voice. We don't know how many they are or where the like to live or what they like to eat! Why? Because they are a myth......a figment of the imagination they exist between UFO and Poltergeist books at your local library.........

If anyone cares one iota about this creature then they believe a type specimen must be procured!

• Upvote 1

Norseman I am not trying to side track your thread but am curious if you have ever had an encounter or a sighting of a sasquatch?