The Kill Club

norseman

Griz is endangered in the lower 48, but not Canada or Alaska. And mag has hunted them, so to sum up I think this is going to take the resolve and nerves of a hunter. But you may be right about many researchers. But I also know that the NAWAC is actively taking shots. So kudos to them as well...

Griz is endangered in the lower 48, but not Canada or Alaska. And mag has hunted them, so to sum up I think this is going to take the resolve and nerves of a hunter. But you may be right about many researchers. But I also know that the NAWAC is actively taking shots. So kudos to them as well...

Yes! I just hope a clean kill is had, better than a dozen of them getting mowed down over time which is no doubt what is happening, and the bodies never being recovered. I have a friend who used to live in Alaska, he summed up the bears there as being "Muder Machines" lol, can't say I would ever want to do anything outdoorsy in Alaska at all, so Mag definitely has a bigger shinier set than I ever will XD

Been there, done that, XC. My closest Grizz encounter ended with the bear's nose plowing dirt 20' from my toes, his choice, not mine, as he was coming full tilt, and I wasn't waiting another nanosecond to find out if he was bluffing. Yes, I felt fear, and could taste the brassy taste of adrenaline for hours after, but he's a beautiful rug, and I'm here typing the tale. Fear is a good thing under those circumstances. I've just been invited to back up an old buddy who drew a very rare Grizzly tag for a remote BC inlet, and am seriously thinking about going, as at 69, I may not have too many more years to go on these adventures. No, I don't have big shiny brass ones, just a clear understanding of the risks, and my own abilities, as does my BFing partner, Magniaesir, and a couple of others I have recently come to know. Given the opportunity, none of them will freeze up, and the job will get done.

Edited by BC witness
  • Upvote 1

Been there, done that, XC. My closest Grizz encounter ended with the bear's nose plowing dirt 20' from my toes, his choice, not mine, as he was coming full tilt, and I wasn't waiting another nanosecond to find out if he was bluffing. Yes, I felt fear, and could taste the brassy taste of adrenaline for hours after, but he's a beautiful rug, and I'm here typing the tale. Fear is a good thing under those circumstances. I've just been invited to back up an old buddy who drew a very rare Grizzly tag for a remote BC inlet, and am seriously thinking about going, as at 69, I may not have too many more years to go on these adventures. No, I don't have big shiny brass ones, just a clear understanding of the risks, and my own abilities, as does my BFing partner, Magniaesir, and a couple of others I have recently come to know. Given the opportunity, none of them will freeze up, and the job will get done.

That post is getting so plussed it is ridiculous!

Guest keninsc

There is something to consider if you shoot a Bigfoot I think it very likely that you'll wind up having to shoot another one or two because I happen to subscribe to the belief that they travel in "pods" or family groups. Shoot one and odds are you're going to have to fight off the family.

The only "family" report I know of in my corner of the world is the classic Albert Ostman report, which is controversial, at best. Most sightings here are of solitary ones, my own, and my son's included. My trackway in snow find was also a single animal. That said, my .300 has a 3 shot clip, and 2 loaded spares in quick reach. BTW, the .300 is an upgrade acquired after the Grizz charge mentioned above, as it took all 3 rounds from my 30-06 to stop him!

Guest keninsc

I have noticed that more often now people report multiple Bigfoots. They still report single ones but I am seeing more in terms of groups.

As far as weaponry goes; I prefer a 12ga pump action with 3" sabot slug of 1 1/3 ounces. Range is radically reduced but I need to get close to be sure I don't screw the pooch and shoot a human.

....and in case you're wondering a Mossberg M519 A1, 20" barrel, 8 + 1 capacity with folding stock for weight reduction and ghost ring sights.

Grizzlies can be tough to bring down if they're in a full charge coming at you because we don't normally shoot critters charging at you. Head shot would work with one round, however the head kind of blends into the rest of the bodyaking it a tough shot to make.

Edited by keninsc

Keninsc, that's exactly the type of firepower carried by the Alaskan/Northern BC guides whose job it is to save the butts of their clients in close in bear situations, which are often in very dense coastal  or riverside brush, so you're well equipped. My rifle must do duty as deer, moose, elk, and black bear harvester, as well as grizz stopper, as my pension doesn't allow for an extensive arsenal. I like norseman's favorite, the 45-70 guide gun, as that's a great compromise between very close range, out to medium. I'd get one, if I could afford it. Too many great guns, not enough time or money to try them all.

Guest Skunkapetracker

Project Grendel is just a group of pro kill advocates from all over North America getting together and comparing notes. It's up to each team to come up with the dinero and time to conduct operations.

I scrubbed op: northern sweep, because of lack of interest in participating. So I will be doing some mule packing solo in the PAC NW looking to get lucky!

But we have operations currently going on in, BC, AZ, FL and Maine.

I am interested in your Florida op, where would I find more info on that?

MSG Rex on this forum. He has just had a exciting trackway discovery and is looking for team members.

Or join our forum. www.projectgrendel.com

That post was plainly not directed at anyone at all, and I will say that if a post I make is directed towards someone I don't do it in a roundabout way, I will directly address them. It was a generalization I pulled out from all of the people I have been around since I delved into this subject 5 or so years ago, the dominating attitude towards these creatures for those who have had, are very actively looking to have, or are just about to have a encounter with one is a attitude of total fear, if not outright terror. I would say that you would be hard pressed to find a creature on earth that people would be more frightened of, or I would like to say "disconnected" from.

That dense fear plays a huge role in keeping hardcore researchers from being successful. I have seen people work and work and work their tail off to get close to one for whatever reason, then when it happens their heart just melts and all they want is for the experience to end as fast as possible.        

Fair enough 

I still disagree with your generalization 

Guest keninsc

Keninsc, that's exactly the type of firepower carried by the Alaskan/Northern BC guides whose job it is to save the butts of their clients in close in bear situations, which are often in very dense coastal  or riverside brush, so you're well equipped. My rifle must do duty as deer, moose, elk, and black bear harvester, as well as grizz stopper, as my pension doesn't allow for an extensive arsenal. I like norseman's favorite, the 45-70 guide gun, as that's a great compromise between very close range, out to medium. I'd get one, if I could afford it. Too many great guns, not enough time or money to try them all.

My second chose would be the Marlin .444, I happen to have one of them and it's a great rifle and again the limited range would sort of force you to ID your target. It is a lever action rifle and a lot of guys aren't too crazy about them, but I have no issues with it. The .45-70 is also a dynamite round in the modern version. the older black powder models not so much. The main reason I'd got with the sabot slug or the Marlin is for the shear stopping power of a large, slow moving, chunk-o-lead is just awesome. If a full grown African elephant charges you with the intent of killing you when it gets to you, one round delivered center of the forehead will not only stop him but very likely slide him backwards. Bigfoot will not have a chance against that power, unless he really is a spiritual creature as many Native American claim he is.

I know what you mean by too many great guns, if i won a lottery I'd make some local gun dealer rich.

Edited by keninsc

I have a winchester 94 timber chambered in 450 marlin 

18 1/2" ported barrel 

Excellent close range thumper

However I don't think it is any better than a stoutly loaded 45/70

In fact if I could have found a timber in 45/70 I would probably have bought that instead 

My only concern with a 444 marlin would be finding properly constructed bullets for it

I keep hoping that my brother will get his custom made 404 jeffrey done this year and he is silly enough to let me borrow it

I will say that BCWITNESS rifle is so heavy that he could use it as a club and beat sasquatch to submission with it

Guest keninsc

They are big and heavy, but they are large bore rifles.....these ain't your Daddy's squirrel gun. Find ammo for a Marlin .444 isn't all that tough. On line I can find them by various ammo manufacturers. They are expensive to shoot, no two ways about it.

• gigantor unlocked this topic
  • gigantor unpinned this topic