The Kill Club

norseman

Guest keninsc

I would add that the decision to shoot or not to shoot can be complex and really comes under the heading of personal choice. I won't beat someone up for not taking a shot when they had one because the bottom line is that they ultimately have to learn to live with whatever choice they make and that's as old as the hills really. I'm pretty sure I'd have no trouble pulling the trigger but who can really say until they find themselves in that situation?

Well said, Ken, I feel very much the same about the subject. I do have the added luxury of age, so I no longer have a lot to lose if my choice goes really sideways. A few years in a secure government facility, with full medical and dental, decent food, and cable/internet (Canadian prisons are quite cushy) could be taken in stride, I think. However, my 1.5 to 6 power scope is excellent, and I've never mis-identified my target in 50 years of hunting, so I'm confident that I'll not make that kind of mistake. BC does have a law that says anything not specifically designated as game in the regs is illegal to shoot, but given the hairy nature of our subject, a plea of "it sure looked like a bear" should wash, eh?

If my numbers come up on the lotto, the gun shop a block from my front window would be very busy special ordering for me! :o

Edited by BC witness

When I was looking at getting a 444 marlin a few years ago I was told that most bullets used in the marlin were designed for pistols and that they tended to fragment on larger game

If that is not correct then great

I always thought that the 444 was very underrated

When I was looking at getting a 444 marlin a few years ago I was told that most bullets used in the marlin were designed for pistols and that they tended to fragment on larger game

If that is not correct then great

I always thought that the 444 was very underrated

That was the case years ago, the 444 Remington 240sp was the culprit I believe.  The Buffalo Bore offerings, Hornady Superperformance (out of production till next year though) and Hornady Leverevolution are all decent performers. Handloading is where the 444 comes into it's own though. Beartooth has a range of bullets up to 405gr. 

Guest keninsc

Personally, I love my Marlin. Hunted with it for years, talk about one shot, one kill? Holy Crap, you shoot a deer or whatever with that, assuming you hit it in a vital area, it's going down. Unless it's a supernatural creature or you simply miss. The bullet is not super fast, it's big and it's heavy, which is great from stopping a large animal however for a long shot it takes some serious shooting ability. The drop on the bullet is 3" @100 yds; 9"@200yds and a whopping 27"@300yds. So at distance, it's more like shooting a mortar really, but within 100 to 150 yds that puppy will stop pretty much anything on the planet. Probably would have been a good one to hunt small dinosaurs with, but that's just assuming.

Marlin has a number of bullet configurations to chose from now, you can still get the old old 240sp, if you really want to (I can't imagine why you would) all the way up to that monster killing round Kiwakwe mentioned with deep penetrating power. Marlin have sort of been over looked by many people, either because of the level action, or the heaviness of the gun, or the a fore mentioned bullet drop and limited range, but I love mine. It's ruggedly built, finely accurate and not outrageously priced. In fact, I bought mine used with a scope, shoulder strap and carrying case back in 1990 for $300.00. 

My only issue is I prefer to use open iron sights to a scope, just a personal preference really. I can use a scoped rifle just fine, I'm no sniper, but I can hit pretty much whatever I point at with either one. I have noticed that most guys now seem to prefer what I used to call a "spotter scope" little magnification but it does give a spot or cross hair on the target and now they have these holo-projection sights, which again are fine but I can't embrace having to check my battery power level before I go hunting. I guess I'm just too set in my ways on that but, we all have our little idiosyncrasies. 

In the case of a Bigfoot, since I don't know what I'm going to run up against exactly, I want to maximum firepower I can bring to bear without over loading myself and I am on a limited budget. Yes, a Barrett M82 .50 BMG would get the job done, however a Barrett currently run about $16K each and the rounds can run between $10 and $20 each, assuming you can get them at all. So.........that's a tad beyond my means. However, a 12ga pump action shotgun with a 1 3/8 oz is pretty much a.78 caliber, short ranged rifle, good out to about a hundred or so yds with super knock down power, deep penetration and when fitted with a collapsible stock is light weight and compact. So regardless of how heavily built a Bigfoot is or how dense the bones or sebaceous tissues are, you hit it mid torsos, or center mass between the nipples, odds are you take out the heart and possibly the spine. If you botch the shot then you can quickly rack another round and rife again.

Guest keninsc

Mine isn't ported, however when I get my shotgun I'm going to order it with a ported barrel. It's a bit funny because the M590a1 that I want is a military version and comes with a bayonet........like I'm going to be bayoneting bigfoot......you bet'cha.

Guest keninsc

I carried a Mossberg in Nam for close combat situations. It was a hand-me-down from several rotions previous. By the time it was handed to me it had seen a lot of usage. One thing I never will forget was the shells for the thing were solid brass all the way up.

Thank you for your service!

I would assume the moisture in nam would destroy a paper shotgun cartridge of the day?

• Upvote 1

Guest keninsc

The military had tons of those old full brass shells. In later years they began using plastic shells. I remember the first time I saw one was in Nam, the guy who I inherited the shotgun from told me they came into being during WWI. The trenches were so wet and muddy that the old paper hulled shells would simply fall apart.which meant that your shotgun was nothing more than a club. The other thing I thought was funny was the shells I got had a date of manufacture of 1945 on them. This was 1969 - '70. Second tour I came stateside for a couple months and volunteered to go back so I got a guy at a local gun store in San Diego to modify it to accept eight 3" magnums and put a folding stock on it. Now at that time it wasn't legal to have a shotgun with that many rounds so at first he told me no, in fact I think I got a "Hell no!" . Then I explained I was going to take it to Nam and he told me he'd fix it up for me but if I got caught I was on my own and his name best not come up.

Long story short I got wounded on my second tour and naturally my brothers in arms split up my gear. Freakin' Jar-heads.

I have owned my 500 for over 20 years now 

I have never had an issue with it

Those Mossbergs are made to last without question. Shoot the one I lost in Nam is probably still doing duty somewhere.

Just a FYI for Project Grendel, my website stopped talking to my email account. A recent member trying to get his account activated brought this to my attention. On top of that, when I was receiving email activation notifications, there was a ton of them, mostly phrama companies trying to spam the site. Anyhow I know a trick that is going to help. I'm going to ask people to put PG at the end of their chosen username. That way I know it's a real person reading the mission statement and not a spam bot. I recognize some of you when I see you from here, but I know I'm missing people as well.

Just so you know Grendel is open to everyone and I'm not doing this on purpose! Please message me on here if your having problems gaining account activation. Sorry for the trouble!

Bigfoot/Sasquatch Evidence written by Grover Krantz, anybody ever read it?

http://www.amazon.com/Bigfoot-Sasquatch-Evidence-Grover-Krantz/dp/0888394470

BobbyO shared some of the book over on Project Grendel with us and I must say I was shocked to learn that much of what we have talked about in the Kill club thread reflects exactly what Grover was advocating so long ago.

I really feel that Grover Krantz should be the banner in which we all rally around.

• gigantor unlocked this topic
  • gigantor unpinned this topic