The Kill Club

norseman

Guest keninsc

Darn right...

Down here in Bama we know how to handle the " furry menace " ...

Down here in Bama we know how to handle the " furry menace " ...

.....and you have one........where? Exactly?

Now, as it happens, Norseman and I agree on the issue of killing for establishment of existence. We only disagree on tactics and weapons selection, which in the Great Cosmic Scheme of things is minor.

Yes, I know there are people who are going to be casting Voodoo spells to stop us and sending negative energy our way and hating us for it, and that's fine. If we all agreed then open forums like this would not be required because we'd all just agree and nothing new would ever be discussed or considered and no progress would ever be made.

Whaaa?

Death metal and tear gas? Lol

Whaaa?

Death metal and tear gas? Lol

Ok, that is just freaking scary as hell. Liquid-ed up rednecks running around with waaaay too much fire power in the guise of paranormal research. God help us all. If they do get one then they'll probably roast it up and eat it.

Did I not mention that?

I don't know about the tactics but I do see a good sense of humor. Welcome to the fray DW5.

Ken,

Your pro kill and that is all that matters, we small band of brothers, hit the dark timber and try to solve this mystery when we are not being husbands and fathers, on any given weekend, or that precious weekday off work when the honey do list is done.

We are few but our voice is growing, we no longer feel the status quo is working, and does nothing to advance our cause......which is discovery. Not grainy photos or plaster casts but bona fide discovery.

As a grass roots movement that is growing we have a real shot at this, it doesn't matter if it's you or me or any other feller, just so long as it's done, done right and a species prospers.

Yes there are nay sayers...there always will be, and they give a million reasons why it shouldn't be done, cannot be done, why we will fail or be shredded in the process. Many judge us as narsisstic cowboys with some thing to prove. That's ok too....... I think history if our hunches are proven correct? Will judge us differently, maybe blunt and crude but with good intentions and a sense of urgency......

So no our discussion about methods and gear can become heated, but that's how we are gonna be successful by trial and error.

This is the essence of Project Grendel. A pro kill group resetting the debate to a very narrow focus of pursuit, discussing, boots on the ground, AAR, rinse and repeat.

• Upvote 1

I agree Norse

And if we are ever successful, we will be pushed aside by "real researchers"

Guest keninsc

Sadly, that's probably the way most on the anti-kill side see us.

Ken,

Your pro kill and that is all that matters, we small band of brothers, hit the dark timber and try to solve this mystery when we are not being husbands and fathers, on any given weekend, or that precious weekday off work when the honey do list is done.

We are few but our voice is growing, we no longer feel the status quo is working, and does nothing to advance our cause......which is discovery. Not grainy photos or plaster casts but bona fide discovery.

As a grass roots movement that is growing we have a real shot at this, it doesn't matter if it's you or me or any other feller, just so long as it's done, done right and a species prospers.

Yes there are nay sayers...there always will be, and they give a million reasons why it shouldn't be done, cannot be done, why we will fail or be shredded in the process. Many judge us as narsisstic cowboys with some thing to prove. That's ok too....... I think history if our hunches are proven correct? Will judge us differently, maybe blunt and crude but with good intentions and a sense of urgency......

So no our discussion about methods and gear can become heated, but that's how we are gonna be successful by trial and error.

This is the essence of Project Grendel. A pro kill group resetting the debate to a very narrow focus of pursuit, discussing, boots on the ground, AAR, rinse and repeat.

True, finding the time to do all this sort of requires that we are independently wealthy, at least wealthy enough that we don't have to do silly things like have jobs or careers, aren't encumbered with wives and children and don't have any social obligations. While I'm blissfully single again, I have to work two jobs in order to make ends meet, which leaves little time for much of anything but sleep when I have the time. That will be changing soon I hope and I might have a better shot at getting out to hunt for a Bigfoot. Not to mention I don't live in an area that is very active as far as Bigfoots go.

What really pisses me off is I used to live in two areas with a lot of activity, but I wasn't even looking for them at that point in time. Now I'm playing catch up.

Of course, there is always the lottery.....but that's not working out for me either.

Edited by keninsc

• 3 weeks later...

Lots of interesting thoughts.

As i stated before, i am not exactly pro kill, all though i do think lots of info could be had from a body and unfortunately that is probably the only sure fire ;) way to prove one exists.

I have put some thought into "hunting" for squatch. I would do my shooting with a camera but would have protection with me just incase.

I do think a small team would be best, 6 people, 3 groups of 2, but i also think the more people out there, the more likely you are to alert the prey to your presence.

I have been planning to go out on my own for a while and be as cautious about everything as possible as it could not hurt especially when it comes to scent.

I figure my best chance at seeing a BF up close would involve something like this

Choose area of interest, pin down dates of hunt.

Do a partial entry of area (if you will enter 2 miles into area to get to hunting location, do a partial entry of 1/2 mile or proportional distance) 4 weeks before hunt date, take in as much of your gear you plan to take with you on the hunt as possible that you can leave. In a secure breathable container, secure and leave your cloths, hardware anything you can to acclimate to the area. Then leave area same route you came.

Gear i would take, Full camo, head to toe based on environment i would be in. A light portable tree stand type device, dressed in natural camo. I am thinking a simple cloth mesh hammock. Something light, compact i could connect one end to a branch and other end to other brand and lounge in a well covered tree, perhaps a conifer (could tap tree to leak pine sap to help mask odor further) It is very important to get comfortable to limit fidgeting an your desire to move as i want to be able to remain their for quite some time.

Only take naturally occurring food for your own consumption, again, cut down on odor and anything that would stand out as strange to an intelligent creature that calls the place home.

Create a small viewing blind for any electronics that have lights to allow you to operate camera's, NV, thermal ect... with out giving away your position at night with a bright glaring LCD display or light.

your equipment, which ever you prefer, a nice full tang fix blade knife, hatchet, some rope....whatever

Other things you could take, decoy, calls ect... up to you.

Other prep, No lie, flush your system before you go out, ex-lax whatever. Get it out before you get in the woods. After that you should be good to go for few days especially with limited food intake and lack of movement on your part.

As far as urine is concerned, i have thought of a few ideas to help keep it out of the woods but nothing that great yet, still need to brain storm and i am not going to use a catheter, hell with that!!

Other thing i have thought about is the firearm, they smell, simply put, be it the burnt gunpowder smell, the oil or solvents used to clean/lubricate, perhaps i am being overly cautious about things but, to catch the most elusive creature you must become even more elusive....no? But anyway still toying with idea's there.

So figure with that setup, spend some days out in the woods, limit movement, when you get desperate try some other tactics, calls, bait, ect...

You would decent your initial cloths and have washed them with unscented or no detergent at all to help eliminate scents

So finally hunt day!! walk into where you put all your gear, strip and change cloths, grab all your gear and walk to hunting spot set up and get your hunt on.

Other things to consider, if you kill a BF, treat it as BSL4 (Bio Saftey Level 4) Who knows what kind of zoonotic diseases it could have!! You might have killed the first BF but now you have incurable terminal illness.....GREAT!!

As far as firearm to hunt BF with. I am kind of with Norseman on this one, something large bore with some energy and knockdown power. Like he said, semi's can jam but the ability to just pull a trigger and fire away and not worry about user malfunction during a heart stopping moment might be worth the risk. .458 socom like he had mentioned might be decent. I have always been interested in the .50 beowulf which is similar in ballistics.

On a M4 platform you could create a light, short compact gun that would be great to carry around with some serious knockdown power

I live close to Pinchot forest and have hiked up Cussad Hollow/Quartz creek area into remote canyons as well as reading volumes on this subject and what strikes me as dangerous is tree stands. These animals are prolific climbers, whether it be trees or rock cliffs, and I wouldn't want to be the guy posted in the stand. Think about all the prints found that just seem to go nowhere, well my guess is they break up their print trails by traveling through the trees. This makes the hunt more difficult by many factors and will definitely need to include some more tactical equipment and arms. A couple of you guys have the right idea but just not covering all your bases, imagine a 3rd grade girl hunting a 35 year old S.O.F. operator. I feel this is the difference between us and them in both physical ability and bush intelligence. It would take a lot of 3rd grade girls to bring that operator down. I suggest some defensive measures up high protecting the high ground(trees above us). Here lies the problem with the theory that they know what our cameras, guns, etc. are, somebody mentioned taking equip up ahead off time in breathable containers(well thought out and a must I believe) but when mounting gear in the trees they will steer clear. Maybe that's enough of a deterrent when it comes to a passive situation but after the 1st animal is brought down we will have maybe 10 seconds before the others realize what happened and recover from the shock. This point forward is when this tactical gear and proper placement will be essential to the survival of team. Not being dramatic but I was taught that there needs to be contingency planning squared for any conceivable scenario before even training for it.                                                                                                                                 I'm gonna suggest that there should be a weigh-in of each team members cajones. NORSEMAN, I'm in for a good hunt if the situation arises. The Quartz creek area is an active area in early spring and early fall but I'd be hesitant to suggest this area due to the remote, steep sided and thick bushy characteristics. Situation could go sideways quick and us having no maneuverability in this area lessens our chances in a dangerous sit., they would also have the high ground. Sorry 1st time poster but of all the forums and their threads that I have read this one seems the most pragmatic and realistic, nice job guys.

Norse, agree with above. As soon as the animal is down, I'd call in all the teams in the immediate area. Saturate the area to show force and aid in a rapid departure. 4-wheelers would facilitate a rapid departure. If this happens at night, lighting up the area like the 4th of July might not be a bad thing.

I think a 2-man team at this phase is extremely vulnerable to attack, especially if they are tasked with collection. 2-4 members to "secure the area" makes this extraction much more manageable.

My experience is USAF, but I'm sure SOPs are not that different than USMC's.

Army here, many different AO's in my time, and I think 2 man teams won't cut it. I suggest 3 teams of 3 with equal distance between each team(as much as possible of course), picture an upside down triangle with 2 teams being point. 1 of the lead teams gets the shot, flank team moves up but adjacent to kill site, trail team moves up to process while the team that made shot provides forward security in concert with flank team. The 2 security teams spread their shooting lanes to cover 9 to 3. 2 of the trail team members provide rear security. Then it's just a matter of "breaking contact" maneuvers to vehicles. We're gonna need to practice this a lot and with trying to schedule time for 9 people will be very tough. I humbly suggest the indiv. teams be comprised of people closer to one another than the other 6 then schedule sometime as a whole. I'm game for this and you can PM me. I live in Portland and am less than 1.5 hr drive to a very hot area: Cougar-Cussad Hollow-Quartz Creek-Northern Lewis River area-Clear creek. Packwood is also a hot area, did you guys ever put together a hunt at the 2500 acre ranch? 

So what's the best cam for dark timber?

Muticam?

Woodland?

Cadpat?

Woodland Marpat?

Hunting camo like Realtree? Mossyoak?

What do you wear?

I recently bought a Sitka parka:

ProductGroup1351w440MAR.png?201206141138MOSSYOAK if in S. Washington I think

It would be more efficient to lure them in and let them find you, rather than running around the woods looking for them.

I agree, to a point. Let the 3 - 3 man teams patrol close to the camp and after 2 days move over to another adjacent valley if no luck. It's their back yard, if they don't want to be seen, they won't be, we can't keep up with their speed. This being said we should still patrol out from each camp to cover more ground. It's not going to be easy and probably won't be fruitful till the 3rd or 4th try having learned and adjusted technique.

Omah,

Gotta' work on my dry humor, that was supposed to be a reference to the Sierra Kills steaks being given to Dr. Ketchum's DNA study.

Madison, Cervelo,

Agree with both, I still think getting into position to act as bait will be difficult. Trying to guess at this critter's home range is tough - but going to a sighting location three days later might mean your 5, 10, or 15 miles (or more) from the target.

Might come down to more scouts/bait and only 1 or 2 "kill" teams. If you have an area where there is I a sighting and a scout/bait team gets "contact," (which might mean howls or wood knocks some distance away), use the road to insert a shooting team a terrain feature ahead of the target. I'm assuming no one who is lucky enough to get out there will be able to call in a buddy w/a Warthog that can be covering the whole area and respond to the team that sights the target.

The newest data coming in to my area from local old timers and actually somebody on this site that has compiled a load of data, says that during the summer their in higher ground(average of 3600'), winter their lower(1600'). Best time for Op would be early fall and early spring when their moving, which tells me that their hunting more in early spring due to being lean from the winter and fall hunting preparing for the winter. Local old loggers I've befriended from the Cougar area confirm this data is pretty accurate. 

Edited by See-Te-Cah NC
2 A

A BFRO team in West Virginia had success with the outnumber them and then have one member drop out and go incommunicado and stay camoued in a hidey hole of some kind....... takes some nerves of steel but if you want to run into one 30 to 50 yards outside of camp (I think this was Leigh Culver that dropped out..... and almost got run over by a BF)..... not sure which WV sighting it was but it worked, on second thought it may have been a NC outing----- if BF can see you in daylight and it starts to get dark maybe they can't count better than a horse then.

I just suggested the hidey hole idea to a friend, lol. Great minds but whoever draws the short straw needs to have a huge backbone.

Edited by See-Te-Cah NC
2 A

i dont agree that we have to have a hot lead to work off of although it certainly helps. alot of recon work will pay dividends as well. iam also inclined to believe that place names are a good place to start from ie skookum, devil, etc

i also dont think we need much money just dedication and persistence

AGREED! Base out of my place in Portland(1.5 hrs to hunting ground), go out in mid-morning to setup while their sleeping, take a short nap ourselves while in position and then "Stand to" at 6 or 7pm till 330am. Nothing happens then leave gear buried in place except the weapons and optics and head home to eat and get a lil shut eye and go back out. 

SSR Team

Packwood is also a hot area, did you guys ever put together a hunt at the 2500 acre ranch?

It never happened SS unfortunately.

I think the Guy in question ( Adam was it ? ) never really came forward with much more info to actually be able to move forward, I may be wrong but I can't remember seeing it anyway.

The newest data coming in to my area from local old timers and actually somebody on this site that has compiled a load of data, says that during the summer their in higher ground(average of 3600'), winter their lower(1600'). Best time for Op would be early fall and early spring when their moving, which tells me that their hunting more in early spring due to being lean from the winter and fall hunting preparing for the winter. Local old loggers I've befriended from the Cougar area confirm this data is pretty accurate.

Yeah, I'd assume that was us they were talking about, and it's me who is doing WA and the PNW.

I'm not sure on those exact figures you mentioned, I can have a look though of course and revert.

• gigantor unlocked this topic
  • gigantor unpinned this topic