The Kill Club

norseman

SSR Team

Absolute yes to both, but not all are visuals (41% are), some are track finds and vocals etc even rock throwing stuff, the BFRO Class B's.

But I'm with you most certainly on the Fall stuff, I'm aware it coincides with hunting season in that part of the world.

However, only 4 of the 17 (24%) were that of reports from hunters, all in November.

I did some serious thinking about traps, snares, and such because I felt and still feel that taking one alive would be best all around. The problem is according to accounts these critters have unnaturally great strength and even if you understand that these accounts might be slightly over exaggerated then you still have a pretty darn strong critter who's not going to be very happy about being trapped. Not only that, but if the one you trapped has a family group (I've heard them referred to as"pods") then you're going to have a group of these buggers all pissed off and working to get the trapped one out.

Now, this is only one scenario, where you actually manager to trap one. I haven't even touched on the rather glaring problems of not changing the area, not doing anything that might alter them that something is up.......and yes, I am aware that Bigfoots seem to be a walking contradiction in that they do thing like avoid humans and yet they are seen walking on the side of roads. Unfortunately, I can't start setting up traps on the sides of highways because too many hitchhikers will get snagged. Humans aren't real bright.....even if you put up a damned-old warning sign.

Now I would also point out that you can't just run down to your local Trap and Snare store and buy a dozen #4 Bigfoot snares, biggest thing you can get is something for a bear and if the Bigfoot prints are to be believed then that's not going to work due to the configuration of a Bigfoot's foot. So, that means you're gonna have to develop an effective snare pretty much on your own. Design, build, prototype and bebug. You have to make it as simple as possible, strong enough to hold an African Elephant, man-portable, easy to set up, easy to conceal and,,,,,,and this is a big "And", made in such a way to lessen the accidental trapping of things like bears, deer and other game animals that have seasonal trapping laws established. You trap a black bear or a Grizzly bear out of season and the Game Warden finds out about, even if by accident, your bohunkus is going to the hoosegow.

Trust me on this, I looked long and hard into this......and as it happens I'm a design engineer, so I enjoyed the challenge, but I had no luck coming up with a viable design. That's not to say I'm the last word on such a thing, but I touched base with a number of people from variety of background......including people who actively trap.

The main motivation for going through this was to be sure that I'd explored alternate ideas before just walking out and shooting one. It's sort of a left handed Karma thing.

It seems the trap would have to be placed in a tree to avoid other large critters being caught(bears not sure about). Maybe this will help you narrow down design possibilities...

Have you thought about a 50 cal sniper rifle with a good scope?     No need to get close,  chase, etc.    Just get on some ridge in a ghilly suit with a buddy on a spotting scope and wait in an active area.     Certainly the weapon would be adequate for a clean kill.     For the record I would not want to be part of this but really think that a body is needed to establish proof.   I just don't want the chance or a life to be wasted because of inadequate planning.      Also I hope females with prominent lactating breasts would be off limits as you would be killing the juvenile too.    I could imagine the public howl and condemnation if you shot a nursing female.     The other caution is since what BF really is genetically is unknown,   you might find yourself in need of a legal help should charges of some sort be filed.    You could hardly claim self defense if you are actively hunting something.  Legal fees could bankrupt you.    Skamania county WA is already off limits because of the $10,000 fine and jail time for shooting a BF.    

50 cal would do it and is accurate enough in the right hands(White feather comes to mind if anybody knows the story..) and yes a lactating female will be off limits in my hunt.

"White feather" Hathcock used a 7.62 Nato, not a .50 BMG. I get where you're coming from, but no need to embellish the man's distinguished career by suggesting he used any but the .30 caliber bullet.

Your wrong bud, Carlos used a M2 with a mounted scope to make a long range shoot on a VC mule packing arms. This article claims 2500 yards.

http://www.grunt.com/corps/scuttlebutt/marine-corps-stories/marine-corps-sniper-carlos-hathcock/

Also, his weapon of choice was a Winchester model 70 chambered in .30-06, and not the NATO 7.62x51mm

Edited by norseman

I stand corrected. Similar cartridges, fairly identical bullets. Certainly not .50 BMG.

Your wrong bud, Carlos used a M2 with a mounted scope to make a long range shoot on a VC mule packing arms. This article claims 2500 yards.

http://www.grunt.com/corps/scuttlebutt/marine-corps-stories/marine-corps-sniper-carlos-hathcock/

Also, his weapon of choice was a Winchester model 70 chambered in .30-06, and not the NATO 7.62x51mm

Most innovative: Legendary U.S. Marine sniper Carlos Hathcock made a 2,000-yard shot in 1967 during the Vietnam War with a .50-caliber Browning machine gun fitted with a scope mount of Mr Hathcock's own design. It was a record that stood for 35 years.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2081430/255-confirmed-kills-Meet-Navy-SEAL-Chris-Kyle--deadliest-sniper-US-history.html#ixzz35LT6ZJD1 

He didn't use this 50 cal but once for a specialty shot so you are correct but he did set a record that held 30+ yrs with a 50 cal, he had it altered for single shot capability.

I think the confusion is the ammo, he used 50 BMG within the M2 for the shot I was eluding too. Sorry part my confusion also. Can you imagine sighting in at 50"+ above base, lol, the guy was a true Marine.

I stand corrected. Similar cartridges, fairly identical bullets. Certainly not .50 BMG.

No. M2 equals ma deuce equals 50 cal!

BFF Patron

The net thing was used for capturing gorillas when that was done.     Problem there is BF would likely watch you set it up then avoid it.    Also humans could blunder into a net trap too.   Capturing is probably the toughest way to go due unknowns about weight,  size, etc.     A net trap has to be counterweighted to lift the captured BF so you need to know the upper range of how heavy it might be.     Tranquilizer darts doses are based on body weight.    I cannot see them entering a cage trap.   All of the unknowns just make the problem more difficult. 

I just thought of another non lethal method that would go a long way towards establishing proof.      Set up some non lethal trap that would take a picture or video then simultaneously collect blood.   The photographic evidence along with the blood that could be DNA tested would be pretty convincing proof.   At least good enough to get science interested.     Sort of like the nails in the board thing that someone tried in Canada but with supporting photographic evidence.     As I recall the contestants on that one BF reality series used darts that took blood samples then dropped out.     Mount a camera on the dart gun and you have two types of supporting evidence.    It could be in the form of a hidden remote game camera setup if you wanted to risk darting deer or humans.      Since IR may be visible and has too broad a beam, a trip wire shooting a drop out dart and tripping a video camera would do the trick.     Anyone know any former Viet Cong that have experience with darts and trip wires?     At least with the remote method you would not have to be present should the BF object to being darted.    Randy

The net thing was used for capturing gorillas when that was done.     Problem there is BF would likely watch you set it up then avoid it.    Also humans could blunder into a net trap too.   Capturing is probably the toughest way to go due unknowns about weight,  size, etc.     A net trap has to be counterweighted to lift the captured BF so you need to know the upper range of how heavy it might be.     Tranquilizer darts doses are based on body weight.    I cannot see them entering a cage trap.   All of the unknowns just make the problem more difficult. 

I just thought of another non lethal method that would go a long way towards establishing proof.      Set up some non lethal trap that would take a picture or video then simultaneously collect blood.   The photographic evidence along with the blood that could be DNA tested would be pretty convincing proof.   At least good enough to get science interested.     Sort of like the nails in the board thing that someone tried in Canada but with supporting photographic evidence.     As I recall the contestants on that one BF reality series used darts that took blood samples then dropped out.     Mount a camera on the dart gun and you have two types of supporting evidence.    It could be in the form of a hidden remote game camera setup if you wanted to risk darting deer or humans.      Since IR may be visible and has too broad a beam, a trip wire shooting a drop out dart and tripping a video camera would do the trick.     Anyone know any former Viet Cong that have experience with darts and trip wires?     At least with the remote method you would not have to be present should the BF object to being darted.    Randy

It's too bad a tiger pit isn't feasible, other animals/size of hole/them watching as you air-dropped a back hoe, lol.

yeah a couple long range shooters set up over a 20 yr old regrowth area sounds best, easiest. 2 guys, close to a vehicle, etc. 

Have you thought about a 50 cal sniper rifle with a good scope?     No need to get close,  chase, etc.    Just get on some ridge in a ghilly suit with a buddy on a spotting scope and wait in an active area.     Certainly the weapon would be adequate for a clean kill.     For the record I would not want to be part of this but really think that a body is needed to establish proof.   I just don't want the chance or a life to be wasted because of inadequate planning.      Also I hope females with prominent lactating breasts would be off limits as you would be killing the juvenile too.    I could imagine the public howl and condemnation if you shot a nursing female.     The other caution is since what BF really is genetically is unknown,   you might find yourself in need of a legal help should charges of some sort be filed.    You could hardly claim self defense if you are actively hunting something.  Legal fees could bankrupt you.    Skamania county WA is already off limits because of the $10,000 fine and jail time for shooting a BF.    

One thing that is established beyond a reasonable doubt, is the malice and forethought of those with intent to kill which (IMO) probably ups the criminal liability ante, exponentially.

Guest keninsc

It seems the trap would have to be placed in a tree to avoid other large critters being caught(bears not sure about). Maybe this will help you narrow down design possibilities...

Actually, a simple slip/cinch trap would work. You'd have to make it up, of course. The trick to making it work on a Bigfoot and not on all the other creatures you named is to install a positive stop that will not allow the loop to collapse any further than say 5" or 6". This will allow pretty much any other creature to escape the trap but be cause a Bigfoot has these ginormous feet then he's stuck until a human with a release key or a pair of bolt cutters arrives. The other reason for the positive stop is so that a Bigfoot will not be injured by having a cinch loop cutting off blood flow and ripping up it's ankle.

While I do subscribe to the belief that shooting one for scientific purposes is completely correct and trapping a live one could be better, but allowing a Bigfoot or any other creature to be injured by a design flaw is unconscionable. Yes, shooting it might be the best thing to do for it.

Guest keninsc

I would add that there are no traps commercially available now that would trap something like a Bigfoot. The closest thing I have seen would be the old styled clam-shell traps with serrated teeth that were finally banned in this country and just about every other country because they were so cruel. I don't mind trying to trap a bigfoot, but I simply will not take that little walk on the dark-side.

The trick with the snare I came up with was that I would have to set it up in a path that Bigfoots use, and I imagine you can guess the issues with that? The stupid Bigfoot has to walk into the snare and the thing with these guys is they don't follow the same paths always. They do what we'd, or I'd, consider to be odd things. They don't follow an pattern for very long.......then they do stupid stuff. Like walk along the sides of roads with traffic on it.

The more I considered the less I thought the idea might work due to all the odd variations.......or at least they seem odd to me because I can't figure out the pattern. There must be a pattern as most all creatures have some sort of patterns they follow. And that is one of the keys to trapping any wildlife is knowing their patterns and placing your trap in just the right spot.

• gigantor unlocked this topic
  • gigantor unpinned this topic