The Kill Club

norseman

Actually, a simple slip/cinch trap would work. You'd have to make it up, of course. The trick to making it work on a Bigfoot and not on all the other creatures you named is to install a positive stop that will not allow the loop to collapse any further than say 5" or 6". This will allow pretty much any other creature to escape the trap but be cause a Bigfoot has these ginormous feet then he's stuck until a human with a release key or a pair of bolt cutters arrives. The other reason for the positive stop is so that a Bigfoot will not be injured by having a cinch loop cutting off blood flow and ripping up it's ankle.

While I do subscribe to the belief that shooting one for scientific purposes is completely correct and trapping a live one could be better, but allowing a Bigfoot or any other creature to be injured by a design flaw is unconscionable. Yes, shooting it might be the best thing to do for it.

Very well put! It would need to be some high tensile material, great idea and yes the rifle is best idea. How do you incorporate the positive stop and is it kinetically involved with the trigger mechanism?

Guest keninsc

No, it's done with a commercially available crimp-on pieces, much like these:

Ok, I've been trying to insert an image that isn't copyrighted but this website will not allow it for some reason. However, here's a link: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fupload.wikimedia.org%2Fwikipedia%2Fcommons%2Fthumb%2Fc%2Fc3%2FBicycle_cable_ends.jpg%2F300px-Bicycle_cable_ends.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikibooks.org%2Fwiki%2FBicycles%2FMaintenance_and_Repair%2FCables_and_Housings&h=335&w=300&tbnid=Pg3dthnPSRuybM%3A&zoom=1&docid=DMNgpfHwTbbRIM&ei=VGeqU5u-H8WNyAS_qYGgBA&tbm=isch&ved=0CFMQMyhLMEs4ZA&iact=rc&uact=3&dur=1012&page=8&start=172&ndsp=25

No need to reinvent the wheel when something viable already exists. However the cable shown is not nearly flexible enough for use as a snare. I determined that a 3/8" dia steel cable should be able to hold a Bigfoot. With a minimum breaking strength of around 12200 lbs, that should hold them pretty good. And if it doesn't then screw looking for Bigfoot any more. I'll go collect stamps or something.

Guest keninsc

As far as the actual slip/locking mechanism is concerned, it's based on more existing technology which would have to be modified in order to be strong enough to resist the strength of a Bigfoot who's all upset that he or she is caught in a snare and designed in such a way that a smart Bigfoot couldn't use a stick to poke it open and get out. With a maximum cinch loop size that will allow retention of the Bigfoot and allow pretty much everything else to simply step out, then the risk to other mammalian life of minimal. I thought I would also set up a couple of long range camera traps so I could get some pictures of whatever disturbed the snare. That way I wouldn't have to guess about what did it.

I would add that there are no traps commercially available now that would trap something like a Bigfoot. The closest thing I have seen would be the old styled clam-shell traps with serrated teeth that were finally banned in this country and just about every other country because they were so cruel. I don't mind trying to trap a bigfoot, but I simply will not take that little walk on the dark-side.

The trick with the snare I came up with was that I would have to set it up in a path that Bigfoots use, and I imagine you can guess the issues with that? The stupid Bigfoot has to walk into the snare and the thing with these guys is they don't follow the same paths always. They do what we'd, or I'd, consider to be odd things. They don't follow an pattern for very long.......then they do stupid stuff. Like walk along the sides of roads with traffic on it.

The more I considered the less I thought the idea might work due to all the odd variations.......or at least they seem odd to me because I can't figure out the pattern. There must be a pattern as most all creatures have some sort of patterns they follow. And that is one of the keys to trapping any wildlife is knowing their patterns and placing your trap in just the right spot.

It's my believe that without encroachment of man then they'd have a discerning pattern of movement/migration/less movement. To this end we need to put ourselves in their shoes(size 22 or not) to figure out their pattern and what would we do in the same scenario. Perplexing and ever changing paradigm.

Guest keninsc

That's the down side with snares and traps of any kind, you have to put then where they are and specifically where they step if you are to be successful. Put it two feet either way and they'll never touch it.

BFF Patron

The other problem with a snare is how are you going to get close enough to release it without getting killed?    And once released what then?  Huge cage for transport?    Now you are talking about heavy equipment in the woods.   I think a live ticked off BF is about the worst thing I can think of dealing with.     Then there is the infrasound thing.     I got a dose of that and whoever is around a caged BF is going to have to deal with something that could be potentially lethal to humans nearby.    It would use it's entire list of capabilities to get free including calling in its tribal members for help.    Language or not they probably have some sort of distress cry.    

Guest keninsc

1) I don't believe in the ultrasound thing. So don't even go there.

Next if you're going to snare a Bigfoot then you have to be prepared in the event you catch one. You're right that will be one seriously pissed off mass of animal and very likely will have his posse around to try and help him or her. That means to catch one alive you're gonna have to have a vet who's willing to risk killing an unknown creature because he has no clue what drugs will work and what drugs will kill it and that doesn't even take into account the dosage size. A dart gun will deliver the drugs, then you have to restrain the Bigfoot, wire ties will work very well for that. Then you have to get something in the get the critter out a small farm tractor and a make-shift drag will work.

The posse could be a problem if they are persistent and may require deadly force. if that is the case then the whole effort might not be a waste because you still have a live one and a couple dead ones two for autopsy. The down side, you now have more people in the loop who are gonna talk before you're ready for the big reveal and safety in a giant media release. Of course, one might argue that nothing happened to him who's name we don't mention here, and that was before he was exposed as a fraud.

After I deliver the critter to science it's up to them to figure it out. My work will be done.

Guest keninsc

Ok, I have to take that back. My work at capturing a Bigfoot for study will be done. My work for protecting Bigfoots and getting funding for proper scientific study will then begin.

BFF Patron

Ken:  Don't go there with infrasound?      If you don't believe in something then it did not happen?      Now there is an open mind ready for doing science!   But you fit right in with main stream science with regards to BF.    I really have a hard time trying to figure out how your head works.      Randy

Edited by SWWASASQUATCHPROJECT

Guest keninsc

Stop worrying about my head, I don't get your thought processes either, but the issue is Bigfoot.

So, let's review the number of mammals that use infrasound in the world today? Bats, dolphins....pretty much done. Number of primates that have infrasound capability that they can use for defensive purposes........none. Except for Bigfoot, right?

It's not that my mind isn't open, it's just not so open that my brains have fallen out on the floor. If Bigfoots have this ability then surely some other creature including humans would have it as well. But they don't, and we don't, it's called "commonality" just one species with this ability out of all the ones in the Americas? Really, and it only in legend? There are no primates that do this, and what animal have this ability primarily use it for communication purposes not as a weapon.

Just my unsolicited editorial:

It pays to keep a hyper-realistic and narrowed mind on most things we do day to day. You can't "believe" your traffic light is green, and not red, and get away with it for very long. I can't pretend I hold an unloaded gun, when I don't, and not expect tragedy somewhere along the line.  On comparison, mostly all anyone is doing here is throwing opinions on an electronic wall. There is no real risk of being wrong, at all (and I'm not discounting that if you are a field researcher like Randy, the wrong supposition might get you killed... I mean just here in ether space). Whether I have a brain that is ready to fall from my skull, or not, is only the difference between appearing foolish, or not. I've never understood the investment here for anonymous people to appear to have such intellectual rectitude.  I mean, really, you risk that much by considering (what might be to you) outlandish pronouncements? Are we all just that fragile? Apparently so. 

(Back to our regularly scheduled programming)

Edited by WSA

We all draw the line some where, with supposed squatch capabilities...... I flatly reject things like superior intelligence and physic powers.

Is there infrasound in a squatch roar like a tigers? I suppose it's possible.......does it matter?

If a giant ape from 20 ft away surprises me by roaring? I'll need to change my shorts first anyhow.

It doesn't seem too unrealistic to ascribe infrasound capability to bf. A 600+lb critter would likely have proportionately larger vocal chords that generate a lower frequency than is possible to perceive with the human ear. Lower frequencies travel further, hence our VLF arrays for submarine comms. This ability could come in handy for keepiing in touch with the bf clan, who reportedly can make some serious miles in a day, putting quite a bit of distance between group members(if indeed they maintain those, if indeed they exist) If folks in the field have had experiences of infrasound exposure in the presence of supposed bf, well, best to keep it on the table, cause we really don't know jack after all.

Guest keninsc

Name a single primate that does use it, really uses it? Just one.

.....and uses it as a defensive weapon please, not as a means of communication. 

I symptoms that they alleged to infrasound can be directly attributed to fear, that's right plain simple fear. Only they weren't scared you understand it was the infrasound wave that Bigfoot shot at me.

People trying to cover up that they were scared, which is a perfectly normal reaction.

Just my unsolicited editorial:

It pays to keep a hyper-realistic and narrowed mind on most things we do day to day. You can't "believe" your traffic light is green, and not red, and get away with it for very long. I can't pretend I hold an unloaded gun, when I don't, and not expect tragedy somewhere along the line.  On comparison, mostly all anyone is doing here is throwing opinions on an electronic wall. There is no real risk of being wrong, at all (and I'm not discounting that if you are a field researcher like Randy, the wrong supposition might get you killed... I mean just here in ether space). Whether I have a brain that is ready to fall from my skull, or not, is only the difference between appearing foolish, or not. I've never understood the investment here for anonymous people to appear to have such intellectual rectitude.  I mean, really, you risk that much by considering (what might be to you) outlandish pronouncements? Are we all just that fragile? Apparently so. 

(Back to our regularly scheduled programming)

I'll be fine with my own suppositions, beats just making some up because they sound all cool. 

Edited by keninsc

Sure Keninsc, I know.  "Sounding all cool" is equally a bad a reason for adopting a position, I'd agree.  If you've experienced something like what Randy has posted here (I have not), but I read about it here and many other places (and I have) and I gave it plausible currency for his consistency, natural history knowledge and backing data (I do)...well, coolness ain't a motivator at all for me, and probably not for a lot of us. It sounds bizarre and far-fetched, but there it is. If I do keep that possibility bobbing in front of me for later consideration, I risk nothing in the least.  So many of the rushes to judgment I see on this board are just the kind of attitude you condemn, and me too: Being the first kid on the block to show how worldly and "real" we all are....when really and truly, we are all mostly throwing crap at the wall, waiting on some hard proof to land.  If there is any collaborative value in these discussions, it probably would be wise to try and avoid that. That's just according to me...one loser stumbling my way along.

• Upvote 1

• gigantor unlocked this topic
  • gigantor unpinned this topic