The Kill Club

norseman

Grover Krantz advocated driving logging roads from midnight til dawn with a rifle.........unloaded of course. :)

Admin

The laws do vary from State to State. WV allows hunting from a vehicle of certain species at some times of the year where allowed, but no spot lighting unless you're just observing wildlife.

The laws are very confusing and jurisdictions overlap each other. It's tough to get a straight answer, by design me thinks. That way, the charging officers have a lot of latitude and they'll sort it out in court.

On the other hand, you're not likely to encounter a FS official out in the woods, so it's your word against nobody else's word if they try to charge you. Anyone could just claim self-defense and be done with it.

Edited by gigantor

SSR Team

Both of these are what I'm thinking would work.

A sniper from a tree stand overlooking a baited site for me is a sure thing,

How long do you think a person would have to be up in said tree before a sasquatch blindly comes along unawares?? Weeks on end, with the occasional break for toilets etc?

There was one reported case of a bow hunter up in a tree, somewhere in east Texas or Arkansas/Louisiana. I think he was after deer. It was night and the sasquatch was aware of his presence. The sasquatch even, suposedly, went up to him while he was sleeping and poked him or something, cutting itself on his arrow head. Now of course if a sasquatch would do that to somebody waiting for it with a gun then it might be the last thing that sasquatch would ever do. Or, alternatively, if the hunter with the gun didn't aim correctly it might be the last thing the hunter would ever do.

Baits with humans nearby don't appear to work verey well with sasquatch.

BFF Patron

There are a lot of sighting reports from tree stands.    Like us, I don't think BF whose prime directive seems to be avoiding humans, spend a lot of time looking up.   Normally they do not expect to see us up in trees.     I know I have to keep reminding myself that juvenile BF seem to like climbing trees, and to keep looking up.     This reminded me of the last time I was in the field just last Tuesday, I heard some funny sounding crows announcing my presence,   I stopped and looked into the trees but did not see them, so made a mental note which I promptly forgot, to look in the trees when I moved to the other side of a patch of woods.    But I got engrossed in avoiding snow and mud patches and forgot to look up into the trees when I got to that area.     I think us BF'ers get so used to looking for footprints that we forget they might be up in the trees.    Perhaps BF are like us in that way.  

Edited by SWWASASQUATCHPROJECT

SSR Team

How long do you think a person would have to be up in said tree before a sasquatch blindly comes along unawares?? Weeks on end, with the occasional break for toilets etc?

There was one reported case of a bow hunter up in a tree, somewhere in east Texas or Arkansas/Louisiana. I think he was after deer. It was night and the sasquatch was aware of his presence. The sasquatch even, suposedly, went up to him while he was sleeping and poked him or something, cutting itself on his arrow head. Now of course if a sasquatch would do that to somebody waiting for it with a gun then it might be the last thing that sasquatch would ever do. Or, alternatively, if the hunter with the gun didn't aim correctly it might be the last thing the hunter would ever do.

Baits with humans nearby don't appear to work verey well with sasquatch.

Give us a bit of credit, nobody would just be plonked in a tree for 3 hours with everyone having their fingers crossed that one walked past.

We've talked about tree stands at great length over the past 18 months ago and like all things, they have their pros and cons.

There are a lot of reports from tree stands, a lot, and highly likely because human scent would be masked from up there.

Edited by BobbyO

The NAWAC had a ground blind setup and took a shot at a Bigfoot, that was coming into their camp area. The conical shaped bullet hit a tree branch and deflected.

Admin

If you believe all that...

How long do you think a person would have to be up in said tree before a sasquatch blindly comes along unawares??

Could be forever if one is going blindly in the woods and just sitting in a tree stand.

For folks claiming *habituation* it would/could work VERY well.

Patterning BF should be no different than patterning a large buck.

Once patterned, the location of the stand is the key with a high priority on wind direction due to scent.

I think you would get better results from a tree stand, in a known/patterned location than going out into the field with drum corps or marching bands trying to locate BF.

IOW's.....stealth and common hunting sense.

Give us a bit of credit, nobody would just be plonked in a tree for 3 hours with everyone having their fingers crossed that one walked past.

We've talked about tree stands at great length over the past 18 months ago and like all things, they have their pros and cons.

There are a lot of reports from tree stands, a lot, and highly likely because human scent would be masked from up there.

Ok, just to clarify, I meant no discredit. My question was a genuine one. 'How much time'  is a valid point to muse over. It took that BBC wildlife cameraman 7 weeks of being in a hide to get footage of a snow leopard. It took Patterson and Gimlin weeks to get Patty on film and that was by sheer luck and accident. Are we talking about going out for the weekend or having somebody there for weeks, almost permanently in the tree hide??

As I said earlier, baits with humans in close proximity hasn't  worked yet. Unless they have worked and the hunters just didn't make it out to tell about it. I wouldn't fancy doing that, so good luck to anyone who wants to try. Stuck up in a tree in the middle of the woods, possibly at night, killing a bigfoot then coming down and trying to sort the body out for transport or chopping it up etc. There might be others out there just waiting to ambush you along the trail back. Sasquatch isn't the same as a bear or a deer. You couldn't pay me enough money to do that job.  :o  Unless there is a group of people in the same place but in that case I can't see that being very successful.

HRPuffnstuff,

Hmmm I would have to disagree about it being no different to a large buck, It's different because nobody has managed it yet so that should tell us that people who are going along the same lines as any other animal are doing it wrong. Definitely agree with you about stealth though. And spending a lot of time on this is going to be the only way in my view. I don't know how practical that is though. People have their own lives and jobs to get on with and not many people can give themselves 100% full time to this. I think full time (to an extent) is the only way it's going to work, unfortunately.

I think you also have to consider that these tactics have worked. It is held privately but the folks who did it feel zero compunction to share their evidence in a public arena.

Just because you do not see clear evidence on a public forum does not mean such evidence does not exist.

Ok, just to clarify, I meant no discredit. My question was a genuine one. 'How much time'  is a valid point to muse over. It took that BBC wildlife cameraman 7 weeks of being in a hide to get footage of a snow leopard. It took Patterson and Gimlin weeks to get Patty on film and that was by sheer luck and accident. Are we talking about going out for the weekend or having somebody there for weeks, almost permanently in the tree hide??

As I said earlier, baits with humans in close proximity hasn't  worked yet. Unless they have worked and the hunters just didn't make it out to tell about it. I wouldn't fancy doing that, so good luck to anyone who wants to try. Stuck up in a tree in the middle of the woods, possibly at night, killing a bigfoot then coming down and trying to sort the body out for transport or chopping it up etc. There might be others out there just waiting to ambush you along the trail back. Sasquatch isn't the same as a bear or a deer. You couldn't pay me enough money to do that job.  :o  Unless there is a group of people in the same place but in that case I can't see that being very successful.

HRPuffnstuff,

Hmmm I would have to disagree about it being no different to a large buck, It's different because nobody has managed it yet so that should tell us that people who are going along the same lines as any other animal are doing it wrong. Definitely agree with you about stealth though. And spending a lot of time on this is going to be the only way in my view. I don't know how practical that is though. People have their own lives and jobs to get on with and not many people can give themselves 100% full time to this. I think full time (to an extent) is the only way it's going to work, unfortunately.

In the spirit of why this thread was created? You bring valid reasons as to why you doubt our tactics may not work. But what are some ideas of your own that would make this mission a success?

This thread is all about collecting a type specimen for science. There are dozen's of ways to skin a cat. What are your thoughts?

SSR Team

Absolutely Neanderfoot, great questions and all very valid.

Firstly my belief is that human "bait" has worked and continues to work until this very day.

I would point to the 192 logged encounters that we have that have occurred whilst people have been camping that would suggest to me that human "bait" works, and works all over the country from FL, to ME, from WA to GA.

I can assure you neanderfoot that this has been talked about at length and to be honest we haven't reached common ground as to what the approach would be but my belief is that human "bait" combined with an elevated sniper like position overlooking the bait, at a predetermined site at a predetermined time of year in a predetermined area will give us the best chance of reaching the project objective.

Of course everything else has to be managed as best as it can and where circumstances allow, but my true belief is that that should be the framework, then we just need to tweak the edges.

To directly answer the question about "how long" my answer would be I don't know.

Again that would be something that would require more discussion but given that only 43/192 (22%) of those camping reports happened in daylight hours, then I'd lean heavily towards trying to utilise hours of darkness more so than daylight hours.

Then we'd only be talking about a maximum of two split type shifts to utilise all of the dark hours, especially in the summer months.

For summer months in the PNW for example, i think we are talking about 8 or so hours of darkness maximum.

Is that possible for a single sniper sitting ?

I don't know, i wouldn't be surprised if it was though for someone if they was properly prepared for it.

During the rut I will often sit in a stand for 12-15 hours.

Requires a milk jug to relieve oneself but it is certainly doable.

Get in a couple of hours before daylight and stay until after dark if need be.

• gigantor unlocked this topic
  • gigantor unpinned this topic