Incidents That Happened In The Field, You Can't Explain.. But Want To Know More About

See

In the past, I have also described a sound/roar that reminded me of an elephant in another post long ago. I have heard it a total of 2 different occasions and am thinking it may be a male Moose during the rut, but cannot find a recording of it online. Are there any Moose near that area? The sound I heard had a trumpeting sound within the very load roar.....the first time I heard it I fell asleep on my bow stand and thought I was dreaming about an elephant until I woke up and heard it again. Very creepy sound and intimidating. Whatever I heard had to be absolutely huge based on how loud it was. UPs

UPs, we don't have any moose around here in NC. Like I said, it was unlike anything else I've ever heard. I'm not saying it was Bigfoot, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't a moose.

Check out this video at about the 30 second mark. Imagine that sound being projected very loudly with the sinister, alarming, and almost evil feel of the shriek/scream in my earlier post. That's still not adequate to describe what we heard that night, but it's the best I can come up with for a description at the present. The elephant roar lacks the aggressive, predatory tone that was present in the sound heard that night.

• 1 month later...

When I was in high school many years ago, 4 of us went camping in the Pisgah National Forest. We arrived late afternoon in late November and we made camp close to a nice size creek and started a fire.  It was soon dark so that night we just partied and were kinda loud but we had purposely hiked in and away from anyone that might be in the area.

It was very cold that night and we did not have much gear with us but plenty of liquor.. In the morning I was exploring along the creek and on I noticed something laying along the edge of the icy creek. I found a dead deer laying  at the edge of the creek in about 18 inches of icy water with no apparent injuries and found this very puzzling. My thought was that it had been placed in the creek like it was in a refrigerator but who or what did it?? Then I went back to camp and told my buddies don't drink out of the creek.

It was very odd and I have not seen anything like it since..   

• 2 months later...
BFF Patron

Has anyone had an event where they recorded audio of something loud enough that they should have heard it with their ears but did not hear it until reviewing the recording?     This one is in my unexplained files.   

BFF Patron

I am not going to release the audio file for a couple of reasons.    First of all I have absolutely no evidence it has anything to do with BF.    Secondly the words are in English in a very deep voice, certainly not in my voice, that was loud enough that I should have heard it with my ears when the recorder recorded it.      I was alone in the field when the recording was made and there were no other humans in the area.     I just wondered if anyone has ever had some sort of sound artifact appear on a digital audio recording like that.  

BFF Patron

I recorded constantly for 4 to 4 1/2 years and did get unexplainable stuff, some of it vocalic some of it just patterns of clicks and stuff that didn't register at the time.  One of my favorite incidents was the "lost recorder" that sat in  leaf litter somewhere and recorded EVP's or an approaching subject of some kind (obviously not a human vocalic).....   when the recorder was mysteriously found, I had some stuff to try to interpret in that file so to speak that was captured before the batteries ran down.  

With SD cards and all that now, I'm not sure if the clicks and such couldn't have been digital artifact or manipulation of a hand-held recorder even.  Plenty of what ghosthunters call EVP's when recording unattended have been present in some files.  Some of it indisputable, some of it probably best left to the listeners interpretation.  

My goal was not to see the vocalizer while recording and I certainly missed several opportunities early on before I knew what I was in to.....  to use quality equipment at the right time that could be easily downloaded into a file structure quickly and efficiently.   

Edited by bipedalist

BFF Patron

The recorder was attached to my pack when I was out in the field and never out of my possession on a day hike.    I have missed so many vocalizations that I try to keep a recorder running every second I am out in the field.    The speech is plainly English, and a very deep graveling voice I am incapable of if I tried.    The SD card was bought after the recorder and never used for anything else.    If it was a tape medium, I can recall all sorts of recording artifacts left from previous recordings but this was a digital media SD card so that is not a factor.    How anything could have been close enough for the recorder to pick up at a fairly high input level without me hearing it at the same time I do not know.    I have pretty good hearing for someone my age.     There is no way to determine the source but I was just curious if others had experienced the same thing.   I know ghost hunters claim to have gotten similar recordings.   I just hope it is not something like that.    BF are freaky enough for me, I really do not want to have to deal with ghosts too. 

Edited by SWWASASQUATCHPROJECT

My niece and I got growled at from no more than 3 feet behind her maybe even closer.  We were on a second story deck on a three story cabin in Tennessee.  The rest of the family were on the other end of the deck and they never heard a thing.  It scared her very badly and it's something that both of us will never forget.  We found out very quickly that whatever was below us did not appreciate me shining a maglight into the trees.

BFF Patron

It is pretty hard to work through mortal fear.    Just ask those who have been in combat.  Many never get over their experiences.    Not surprisingly many former hunters report never wanting to return to the woods to hunt or avoiding a certain location after BF encounter.    Interestingly my encounters ran the other way.    I had fully subscribed to the gentle giant of the forest thing from other witnesses that had frequent contact so my first encounter I was excited but not afraid as one came stomping through the woods directly towards me.     I stepped out of the way because the wood line was so close and I did not want to get run over.   The BF saw me first and dropped into a crouch with a tremendous thud that I felt through my boots.    I waited for something to happen and give it a chance to withdraw which it did without any noise.   I was more excited than afraid.      I continue to work the area and subsequent encounters are such that now they want to make sure I know they are there and stay out of sight,   but are starting to follow me through the woods, and throw a rock now and then .    That is not a friendly act and the intent is to instill fear.    Then I made the mistake of peeing with one close by and it did the chest slapping intimidation thing like a gorilla.     That scared me badly and it took me about 30 minutes to work through the fear enough to resume field work and try to get around behind it to get a look or elicit more response.  I sense that they now feel like I am hunting them and they are reacting accordingly.         I cannot ignore the fact that at any time they can chase you down,  throw a basketball sized rock, or do something else deadly if they so choose.   Or that you might run into one that has had a bad experience with a human and it wants to take it out on you.      It may not happen often but they are large and potentially dangerous.    The only comforting thing that keeps me out there in the field is they do not seem to attack humans very often or we would be disappearing at far greater rate than we do in the woods.    Randy   

One night in the field, changed it for me.. and installed the fear , as well as racing stripes in the underwear. Maybe I don't have anything to fear in the dark sitting there, but my mind told me different.

Seeing an upright figure move at a high speed, through uneven forest terrain..making no sound, topped off with the close up tree tapping around us... got unnerving, as well as exciting. To put the icing on the cake, when the three of us decided to call it a night in the wee AM hours... we were growled at, by something right off the foot trail, walking back to camp. 

It is the main reason I broke down and purchased a FLIR. Not to prove sasquatch exists to anyone... but to give me a  piece of mind knowledge tool, in my out in the open surroundings, at night. I still think, about.. if these creatures so desired, they could come up on me silently and snap my neck.. and there would be very little I could do about it. I don't think that is their intention, but probably to get us out of their range of habitat, when things get uncomfortable for them. Either that... or it is youngsters getting their rocks off, on toying with us, due to the drastic disadvantage we have, in their home environment.

BFF Patron

Until I get a good look at the perpetrators the only visual I have had was a juvenile peeking at me which I assumed was being carried before an adult went into a crouch.     If that was the mother then I don't know if the other one present at the same encounter was father or teen age family member.     It was acting independently and was whooping back and forth with the one carrying the juvenile so I would presume it was at least near adult.       I would like to think it is teenage pranks at this point.   But have no evidence that is the case.     I think that the chest beating was probably done by an adult or near adult male since chest thumping is usually male behavior with other primates.   Of course I do not even know if it was associated with the other three, other than they happened about a mile apart.  

A FLIR certainly makes the playing field a little more even since BF owns the night.    One of my principal objectives is to get good video so I am primarily doing day field work.   I do think once you get into their primary habitat area they are more protective.     Probably if you have an encounter when you are around family members it is different how they react.   Throw a juvenile into the mix and I suspect they get very protective like most other large predators.  Fortunately down trees and thick underbrush prevented me from approaching the juvenile and adult.     If it had not been there and I had blundered into close contact with the juvenile, things might have been dangerous for me.     Randy

• 5 months later...

I've heard of the ear humming / buzzing, from others.. but never experienced it, myself.

Bigfoot produced infrasound is said to effect different people in different ways.  I've heard of that vibration in the ear associated with infrasound, where not everyone hears it.  Some people have fainted due to infrasound while the person next to them is not affected that way.

Guest Divergent1

It would be interesting to see if those that have a bad reaction to what they think is infrasound also suffer from motion sickness.