Bigfoot Research--Still No Evidence (Continued)

Guest Admin

@sask:

Thx for the response, I for one appreciate the knowledge you bring to the discussions.

I do find it interesting that tigers didn't make it this way.  I wonder how sabre tooths work into the mix.

Thanks, Cotter.  It's tough to say.  Tigers never made it over but lions did and today we only just barely have lions in Asia.  Maybe it was just a question of timing, i.e., neither tigers nor leopards had made it to Siberia 10,000 years ago.  I'd have to do some digging into their fossil history in Siberia before I could offer any informed insights.

I think there could be several plausible scenarios in which an ape could have crossed into the Americas. We seem to key in on the latest land bridge during the last glacial age around 15000 years ago in which it is supposed humans crossed. But there have been many times in which a land bridge existed and during some of those times the earth was a much warmer place than now.

Was Asia and N. America connected during the Miocene epoch? Yes.

http://eas.unl.edu/~tfrank/History%20on%20the%20Rocks/Nebraska%20Geology/Cenozoic/cenozoic%20web/2/Timescale.html

Were apes present outside of Africa at that time? Yes.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3078397/

In fact apes fossils have been found in Europe as well as Asia.

There is no smoking gun as of yet, skeptics are right, we have found no fossils proving the existence of a N. American ape.

But the idea that apes have only lived in steaming jungles and never traveled very far is preposterous. And this is an ongoing field of study, and it seems that one of the fossils best preserved are teeth. So the next time your out and about? Look around for some strange looking rocks resembling teeth.

Re: Cats

http://www.imaginiquebengals.com/dnacatevol.pdf

includes : The Late Miocene Radiation

of Modern Felidae:
A Genetic Assessment

Yes? How are you drawing a parallel between cat and ape evolution?

That was for Saskeptic's benefit wrt his conversation with Cotter.

I don't need to make any points about Gigantopithecus migration.  There is no evidence of Gigantopithecus north of Southern China.  Plenty of human fossils, and H. erectus, but alas no Giganto.   There is nothing more to say about that until they find some.

Re: Cats

http://www.imaginiquebengals.com/dnacatevol.pdf

includes : The Late Miocene Radiation

of Modern Felidae:
A Genetic Assessment

Yes? How are you drawing a parallel between cat and ape evolution?

That was for Saskeptic's benefit wrt his conversation with Cotter.

I don't need to make any points about Gigantopithecus migration.  There is no evidence of Gigantopithecus north of Southern China.  Plenty of human fossils, and H. erectus, but alas no Giganto.   There is nothing more to say about that until they find some.

Your are absolutely correct.

But there is fossil evidence of Griphopithecus in Austria...........from about 13.5 million years ago. Which kinda yanno..........makes your Gorilla/Norway statement interesting.

Which I think speaks broadly about peoples understanding of apes, within the context of how they are now as opposed to how they were then.

@Drew - thx for the link.

@norse, I often think about how 'modern human' actually acted when we first got started.

I picture us pretty much acting like monkeys 1/2 the time and 'something else' the other 1/2.  But we sure didn't act like we do now!

@ Drew - DOUBLE thanks!  Very cool link.  Multiple cat migrations, back and forth across the land bridges, causing the varied species we see in cats today.

I agree the fossil record hasn't shown us many ape-type creatures, but in my mind, the possibility is there that a similar occurence could have happened with apes. 

Edited by Cotter

Not really.

They were there long before the gorillas were part of the timeline.

Um?

The oldest Gorilla fossil dates back 10 million years........

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/story/2007/08/22/tech-fossil070822.html

The world's oldest gorilla fossil has been found in Ethiopia, defying earlier assumptions about ape and human evolution, scientists at the National Museum of Ethiopia announced Wednesday.

Scientists believe the nine teeth unearthed during an excavation near Addis Ababa belong to a newly discovered type of 10-million-year-old gorilla.

That, and primate fossils have been found in NA that are 55 million years old as well.

Now, I understand that a small primate would have a long ways to go to be an 8 foot ape-man, but knowing that we don't know everything does make it interesting.

Edited by Cotter

That, and primate fossils have been found in NA that are 55 million years old as well.

Now, I understand that a small primate would have a long ways to go to be an 8 foot ape-man, but knowing that we don't know everything does make it interesting.

It's very hard for me to swallow that primate evolution in NA ended with those fossils.  Just doesn't square with the big picture.

But there is fossil evidence of Griphopithecus in Austria...........from about 13.5 million years ago. Which kinda yanno..........makes your Gorilla/Norway statement interesting.

Thanks norseman.  Just don't forget that the Miocene climatic zones were quite different from those of today and from those of the Pleistocene.  Austria in the Miocene would have been "warm temperate" and, at least at lower elevations, capable of supporting palm trees and crocodilians.  So when it comes to historical biogeography, the timing of these events is critical.

Yes I addressed that in post #692.

The point I'm trying to make is that people are kinda locked in that there was only one land bridge across the Bering strait, and it was a very cold place, roughly 15000 years ago.

Yes I addressed that in post #692.

The point I'm trying to make is that people are kinda locked in that there was only one land bridge across the Bering strait, and it was a very cold place, roughly 15000 years ago.

Thanks, I had missed that.