Why Exactly Do Hoaxers Hoax In The First Place?

But why would 'they' do that for? I can't think of anyone who would be negatively impacted if Bigfoot was to be sudenly be confirmed beyond all reasonable doubt, plenty of people who would benefit from that revalation, and no practical way of keeping that from happening.

It's as ridiculous a notion as the one where 'Big Auto' goes around harassing 'Shade Tree Mechanic' for inventing an engine that runs on water that 'Big Auto' couldn't develop despite having teams of engineers and a few generations to work on such a thing, oh it appears that he has a huge familly as well as everyone who tells this story he is "My uncle in the country side"... See where I'm going with this?

Guest OntarioSquatch

People do all sorts of weird things. I think the guy who made the Elbe trackway could be able to give some great insight.

Edited by OntarioSquatch

Had to Google that, but it seems that the perpetrator of the hoax, if indeed it is one, isn't known. Is that true Ontario or did I miss a link?

Guest OntarioSquatch

Yup, not widely known. Partly because he hasn't even admitted it. I don't think you'll find him through google. He is actually a member here. There were a few threads about him and the trackway. I don't know if I'm allowed to say anything specific.

Can you please elaborate? You seem to be aiming for egnimatic and missing widely, but are you talking about the recent events in Florida?

Guest Steve Byrne

ronn1 is probably referring to a certain hoax/story underway right now. It's a good place to go if you want the thread locked.

But why would 'they' do that for? I can't think of anyone who would be negatively impacted if Bigfoot was to be sudenly be confirmed beyond all reasonable doubt, plenty of people who would benefit from that revalation, and no practical way of keeping that from happening.

It's as ridiculous a notion as the one where 'Big Auto' goes around harassing 'Shade Tree Mechanic' for inventing an engine that runs on water that 'Big Auto' couldn't develop despite having teams of engineers and a few generations to work on such a thing, oh it appears that he has a huge familly as well as everyone who tells this story he is "My uncle in the country side"... See where I'm going with this?

Bigfoot confirmed will hurt a lot of people who took positions without properly assessing the evidence. "Scientists" who were wrong and staked their reputations on it, newspeople that laughed about it and anyone else who said they thought it was a joke. Supposedly, 70% of people do not believe it is real. Humans in general, have a lot of vanity, insecurity and arrogance. Being wrong is socially discouraged... to the extent that even skeptically investigating bigfoots is deemed kooky. Social pressure put us here.

I suppose there are also others who see financial difficulty if more greenbelts are designated where they want to log or develop land. I have read that logging companies know the truth and hide it. If there is a sighting they may do a weak hoax to discredit the real event. I've joked a few times that for every real ufo sighting, the CIA does nine hoaxes. Then they can say "90% chance it's a hoax" and leaving the remaining 10% to be kooks and misidentifications, lies or anything else that probably isn't the real thing.

As far as the government goes... they have a reputation for protecting us and knowing enough about the world to be able to do that. They haven't told us much about bigfoots (or ufos), so the assumption is that they don't exist, or else we would have been told about them. The notions that our government doesn't know, or has lied about it and withheld the information, undermines their credibility in a big way. The "status quo", is important enough for some people to protect it at all costs. The uncertainty of what would happen if that is disrupted is just not worth the risk. Mitt Romney joked about bigfoot being a hoax... He'll look even dumber if it isn't. If bigfoots are real, then what other conspiracies might be true?... ufo's, 9/11, WMD's... North Korea? Iran? My congressman, the Senate. Why should I trust anybody? or pay my taxes? A major credibility crisis... hypothetically. This is why no one with a real body could even talk about it and ever expect to show it in public. It simply can't be allowed to happen.

• Upvote 1

Yet another excellent post Steve. I can also see the similarities to the whole issue of disclosure regarding UFO/Alien reality. The government would completely control any release of information regarding this subject and I would expect the same control to be applied to BF.

If the existence of Bigfoot was to be somehow 'revealed' over the next few weeks then huge questions would be asked of the authorities. The government would come under immense scrutiny. Was there a cover up? If not, how could they not be aware of a breeding population 8ft, 700lb biped running around our state parks undetected? Are these creatures dangerous? What do we do with them now?

Unless the government was completely prepared to answer all of these questions and have a plan in place to deal with this 'new' problem, then as Steve said, disclosure just would not be allowed to happen.

I can also see the similarities to the whole issue of disclosure regarding UFO/Alien reality.

There are no comparisons, as modern science has come to the conclusion that alien life most likely exists.

I know that Steve seems to have a very low regards for scientists but they have to be willing to accept whatever facts contridict their world view (in this case, "Bigfoot exists") if irrefutable evidence surfaces. Otherwise what they're practicing isn't science.

The government would completely control any release of information regarding this subject and I would expect the same control to be applied to BF.

Except it would be impractical if not impossible to control or supress information regarding Bigfoot, alien visitations, or anything similar in scope. Such a conspiracy would neccessitate a cover up involving millions and international cooperation. If this doesn't seem, at the very least, unlikely to you than I highly suggest that you step back and get some perspective.

If the existence of Bigfoot was to be somehow 'revealed' over the next few weeks then huge questions would be asked of the authorities. The government would come under immense scrutiny. Was there a cover up? If not, how could they not be aware of a breeding population 8ft, 700lb biped running around our state parks undetected? Are these creatures dangerous? What do we do with them now?

Call it character building, You can't get anywhere if your perspective isn't challenged and you get to enforce 'the status quo'. By the way, I doubt that is what is happening here.

Unless the government was completely prepared to answer all of these questions and have a plan in place to deal with this 'new' problem, then as Steve said, disclosure just would not be allowed to happen.

I read somewhere that the government has a plan in case of a zombie outbreak. If they have something in place for something as outlandish as that then you can bet that they have in place a plan if Bigfoot ever gets officially recognized as being real. Besides, I don't think the government can do anything to stop a full disclosure.

Yet another excellent post Steve. I can also see the similarities to the whole issue of disclosure regarding UFO/Alien reality. The government would completely control any release of information regarding this subject and I would expect the same control to be applied to BF.

Well, it looks like this *hypothesis* may soon be tested.

That was a well written post Steve, I agree with all your points and that explains very eloquently the "whats" of this phenomenon

Now the harder truths lie within the "whys"

So what brings ya to the BFF Leftfoot?

At first I thought ya might be new to the BF world asking some innocent questions,that aren't uncommon from folks who are new to this genre of study.

However your tact seems to have switched to having some definitive opinions on the subject. I think I sensed some nuance in your posts that seem similar to someone who perhaps has their own predetermined agenda. I must be mistaken right. So let me ask you (not that its required) do you believe in BF? And also, is your general consensus that anyone who has a story to tell about this phenomenon needs to "step back and get some perspective" or as you said in another thread and I paraphrase ...sounds like a crazy person? I'm just asking because I'd rather not waste my time with a fixed mind bent on trying to convince me that everything I have seen and experienced in and around my BF encounters is just a bunch of woo woo or the chatterings of a loose fixture, thats all. :)

Edited by ThePhaige
  • Upvote 1

So what brings ya to the BFF Leftfoot?

A desire to learn and understand, I can't do that alone and I can't do that without asking questions. If I come off as sounding skeptical it's because I am. There's nothing I can do to change about that over night nor do I desire to.

At first I thought ya might be new to the BF world asking some innocent questions,that aren't uncommon from folks who are new to this genre of study.

I am new to it, really. But I have always loved the idea of a Bigfoot. Doesn't mean because now I believe in the posibility of Bigfoot to be real I must now check my skeptism at the front door.

However your tact seems to have switched to having some definitive opinions on the subject.

Only opinion I have is that Bigfoot probably does exist. Sorry if I come off as if I don't, but I'm a skeptical man and not someone who has been accused of having a lot of tact.

I think I sensed some nuance in your posts that seem similar to someone who perhaps has their own predetermined agenda. I must be mistaken right.

Only agenda I have is to learn and understand, if you can call that an agenda... I guess you can call that an agenda. I never thought of it that way before :laugh:

So let me ask you (not that its required) do you believe in BF?

I believe that they probably exist just like exterestials do, but I won't move beyond that point until a corpse or, better yet, a living specimen is produced.

And also, is your general consensus that anyone who has a story to tell about this phenomenon needs to "step back and get some perspective" or as you said in another thread and I paraphrase ...sounds like a crazy person?

You misunderstand me, I think the ones suggesting that there's some grand conspiracy to cover up the existence of these creatures are the ones that sound crazy and need to step back and get some perspective. The belief in Bigfoot doesn't seem particularly dangerous or unstable to me, at least you're not going around calling for a purge of disbelievers like certain sects of religions do.

I'm just asking because I'd rather not waste my time with a fixed mind bent on trying to convince me that everything I have seen and experienced in and around my BF encounters is just a bunch of woo woo or the chatterings of a loose fixture, thats all. :)

I don't know anything about you or your experiences with Bigfoot and I would like to learn more about those experiences, so please don't lump me in with other people without my consent. I'm me, I can only be me.