At Tipping Point Of Bf Acceptance Culturally?

Gotta Know

**Edit** 

That is good stuff WTB1... thanks for that ...you are very clever :)

Edited by BigGinger
To Remove Offensive Content

**Edit**

Meanwhile, back on topic: I think it's possible there MIGHT be a slight change in public perception. I do sense that people are no longer content to allow "experts" (be they political, social, OR "scientific") to tell them what to think.

Edited by BigGinger
To Remove Offensive Content

Nonsense Mulder. I can indeed be mistaken. Of course! Nonsense again. I have never asked or told anyone to believe an unbelievable claim from me. You silly!

Mulder ~ "Sorry ThePaigeWTB1, but you and any other are still held to the simple standard of proof. Your feelings, thoughts and theories are just those. Feelings, thoughts and theories."

Yes. Of course! Absolutely 100% agree.

On topic, as I said earlier, I personally would like there not to even be a BF "culture". I would prefer it be a sport. Or a pass time. Or an activity, like fishing. Culture reminds me of 'The UFO culture' or 'The Ghost culture'.

Guest wudewasa

Most people have no background in the outdoors.  Their connection to nature is lived vicariously via TV shows, movies, online and video games. Their practical field experience being zilch, they can be conditioned that bigfoot can be real.

Couple that with an abysmal education in the sciences, and you have gullibility gone awry.

I agree wudewasa.  And we also have self proclaimed BF researchers who admittedly do not know much about the local flora and fauna of their research areas.  I have witnessed this on numerous occasions right here on the BFF.  They make these fantastic claims about BF - their abilities and behaviors - and then admit to not knowing much about (insert animal) behavior or the nutritional values of (insert plant) at various times of the year.  Granted, this is not everyone, but I have seen this happen enough to seriously question what those people claim. 

I don't see the BF phenomenon being more widely accepted.  Reports that do make the news are often reported more as a special interest piece at the end of the news report and the anchors laugh it off.  I've heard more than one reporter comment something about "there's more than one?"  If it is a living, breathing creature then there has to be more than one.  Part of it is that people really are out of touch with nature, and part of it is that most people have never give BF any thought - ever.  So when confronted with it (as in a reported sighting) they cannot speak intelligently about the phenomenon.

Go to the water cooler at work and try to strike up a serious conversation about BF.  See how serious other people really are about the idea of BF.  Shows like FB are for entertainment purposes only - and do nothing to lead to the credibility of BF research.   IMO of course.

I have never asked or told anyone to believe an unbelievable claim from me.

You claim that there is no evidence to support the existence of BF. Given that there IS evidence, your claim is obviously unbelievable.

Mulder ~ "Sorry ThePaigeWTB1, but you and any other are still held to the simple standard of proof. Your feelings, thoughts and theories are just those. Feelings, thoughts and theories."

Yes. Of course! Absolutely 100% agree.

Excellent. I await your positive evidence case that the evidence currently to hand for BF is in fact NOT evidence.

On topic, as I said earlier, I personally would like there not to even be a BF "culture". I would prefer it be a sport. Or a pass time. Or an activity, like fishing. Culture reminds me of 'The UFO culture' or 'The Ghost culture'.

1) That's not what the OP was talking about. He was talking about the general culture, ie, the general public.

2) ANY defined group can generate a "culture" as a subset of the larger general culture. In fact, when dealing with any specialized activity, it's practically inevitable.

Edited by Mulder

I'm confused. Where did I make this claim? When? Maybe we should just take this to PM. There is evidence, some of which is even very compelling.

Me from the P&T thread, post 51 ~ "Yes, that IS my opinion. It is my intelligent, adult and well thought out opinion that I should not have to debunk that which has not been proven. We can go around and around forever if you like. But as of this writing, BF has not been conclusively proven to exist, despite much compelling evidence. Period."

Edited by WTB1

Cultural tipping point..apparently the SB film kept the stereotypes alive and well...we just keep stepping up to that plate don't we?

I don't think its any closer to being culturally accepted. the tv shows are  just that, shows..whicn have drawn attention to the subject once again.

& most of what Ive seen from the shows now only encourages the tounge in cheek treatment the media slaps on all things BF related.

I can't think of a worse topic to bring up with serious intent than bigfoot, except with a bigfoot enthusiast.

In one sentence, by claiming bigfoots do seem to be real and evidence enthusiasts produce I have been able to also collect (such as tracks and a poor video - I don't even bother with the Whistle Serenade..or any of it really, since I can't get past the first sentence)  and I am able to wipe away all past accomplishment and earned respect from the mind of my listener. It's on their face, in their words, and resurfaces at the most inopportune times.  I am discovering many people are d**** if they think the scales are in their favor.

No matter what they thought of me prior, or how long they have known me, it was a death knell to so speak that sentence.  

It is one of the saddest cultural taboos I have experienced.

What should be a fascinating topic is an embarrassment, and it has caused me to question what I thought I knew about others.  

Edited by apehuman

Yeah, I can't think of anything worse than bringing up Bigfoot in a serious fashion.

Most people would be like "Really, you think there is a giant hairy beast running around out there?"  and then you would be shunned.

If you have a professional job, do not tell your colleagues you believe in Bigfoot.  

Edited by Drew

Guest wudewasa

Actually, I use bigfoot humor quite a bit in the workplace with my team.  The other day, I walked into a job site and there was a pencil on a table.  I began running around erratically yelling "Look there's a pencil on the desk.  A squatch put it there!  This room is very squatchy because it's known fact that squatches put pencils on desks to attract people who like to do crossword puzzles!  Let's put a candy bar, a crying baby doll and donuts here and see if bigfoots take them!

My coworkers liked the idea putting donuts on the table!

It depends on who you are talking to. If you are discussing the topic with somebody who spends a great deal of their waking hours out of doors, or someone who lives in sparsely populated rural areas,  you'll likely get a much more credulous reaction. In all likelihood, they will also have a few stories and theories of their own to share.  I find also those unburdened by what science "knows" are the most curious and open minded, and unlikely to dismiss the topic out of hand.  

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I can't think of anything worse than bringing up Bigfoot in a serious fashion.

Most people would be like "Really, you think there is a giant hairy beast running around out there?"  and then you would be shunned.

If you have a professional job, do not tell your colleagues you believe in Bigfoot.

List solely for informational purposes:

ID

advanced ancient civilizations/"ancient astronauts"/general alternative history

UFOs

most "conspiracy theories"

BF is hardly the only high-"snicker factor" topic

Actually, I use bigfoot humor quite a bit in the workplace with my team.  The other day, I walked into a job site and there was a pencil on a table.  I began running around erratically yelling "Look there's a pencil on the desk.  A squatch put it there!  This room is very squatchy because it's known fact that squatches put pencils on desks to attract people who like to do crossword puzzles!  Let's put a candy bar, a crying baby doll and donuts here and see if bigfoots take them!

My coworkers liked the idea putting donuts on the table!

So basically you're conditioning your co-workers towards an automatic "snicker reaction" to the topic and/or reinforcing an existing tendency towards the same rather than engage in an acutal, thoughtful discussion of the topic based on evidence and reason...

Not surprised...

Edited by Mulder