At Tipping Point Of Bf Acceptance Culturally?

Gotta Know

^^ I don't have the book here with me at the office, but a couple of things that come to mind are pictures of holes in the earth that are described as the result of a Sasquatch digging for hibernating mice. Where are the accompanying pictures of Sasquatch engaged in said activity? Where is the DNA left behind that was analyzed and proven to come from Sasquatch? In other words, that is another empty BF claim. The book has many of just those sorts of claims. That's just one that stands out right now. The other thing would be a rather heavy reliance on anecdotal evidence and why it should compel science to take a stronger interest. That argument, in general, holds little water with me, but it is one of the main thrusts of the early part of the book. He even includes some pretty out there stories. One, I believe it came from Manitoba, of a hunter that shot one. Killed it. But then never really did anything about it. That's a bit hard to swallow. If you would like, I will prepare a more in depth comment on the book, I just can't do it off the top of my head at work.

So if I follow you, because there is no proof Sasquatch dig for mice, then Sasquatch don't exist? LIke, huh?

Clue up bro...science has relied on eyewitness accounts to form hypothesis since the discipline took its modern form...and before. It still does. All the time. If some choose to abandon the search for the conclusion to the thesis out of impatience, who am I to say you can't? BUT, don't confuse your decison to do that with the idea the matter has been disproven.  

The Manitoba account stretches my credibility not in the least. A 17 year-old who was poaching without a moose tag on land not his own, who had never even heard of such a possibility as a thing called Sasquatch, and was not sure he hadn't killed a "hermit?"  Right, why would he clam up about that? C'mon dmaker, get out more.

And yes, I get it, you will argue that they have returned with evidence of Wood Apes. I understand that and predict your response. Samples are out for identification. Cool, can't wait to see what they come back as. I hear recordings of things hitting the roof. The claim is they are Wood Apes doing the throwing. But there is no evidence of that. There is merely noises on a recording. I am not trying to turn this into a Wood Ape Bipto bashing thread, I'm just saying the bar for evidence here needs to be a bit higher than hitherto.

No, bro, my claim is that since there is no proof for Sasquatch you do not get to declare a hole in the ground a result of Sasquatch digging. The nuance here is not that subtle bro.

Not arguing with the Wood Ape folks approach. It seems sound. But at what point does absence of evidence mean evidence of absence in regards to AreaX and Wood Ape gang? 5 more years? 10 more years? If one says those woods over there are filled with Bigfoot, er, Wood Apes, yet after quite a bit of time and searching no one has returned with any evidence of their presence, then surely that absence of evidence must be evidence of absence? That, in fact, those woods are not full of Wood Apes after all. Just like every other BF-WoodApe claim.

Again, you ask the wrong question, hoping for the correct answer. Not only that, it asks for clairvoyance. My clairvoyant's license expired.

And yes, I get it, you will argue that they have returned with evidence of Wood Apes. I understand that and predict your response. Samples are out for identification. Cool, can't wait to see what they come back as. I hear recordings of things hitting the roof. The claim is they are Wood Apes doing the throwing. But there is no evidence of that. There is merely noises on a recording. I am not trying to turn this into a Wood Ape Bipto bashing thread, I'm just saying the bar for evidence here needs to be a bit higher than hitherto.

No, bro, my claim is that since there is no proof for Sasquatch you do not get to declare a hole in the ground a result of Sasquatch digging. The nuance here is not that subtle bro.

So. What?...you can't exclude some of the purported evidence without excluding all of it? If you swallow whole every bit of possible evidence you're not doing science any favors, or yourself. Though, if somebody wants to bring me some more evidence to support it, I'd be all ears. My offhand assessment of that is "maybe", but it would be far from being the linchpin of my views on the matter. Discernment, as in all things, is key.

No, no I won't. I will tell you they have come back with some very compelling evidence that demands to be pursued, that I'm grateful they are pursuing it, and I anxiously await any further evidence they can posit. An exceptionally radical and upsetting view of it, I know.

WSA, upsettin' me bro.

You have five years to prove this thing.  Until then, I will maintain fervently that I am better qualified to judge evidence than scientists whose disciplines could not be more relevant, and cling to the opinions of the scientists I trust, who very clearly feel about this, in no uncertain terms, as follows:

I don't know what they think, because I've never read it.

FIVE YEARS, buddy.  All you're gettin'.  FIVE.  Count 'em.  FOUR.

i think we're at the opposite point of a tipping point of cultural acceptance. BF history has been marked by past periods of crossover into more widespread popular culture in which more serious resources are utilized in looking for them, turning up nothing, and back to a dark period. I think the letdown of the Ketchum study and the Erickson project, the failure of any scientific substantiation of Smeja's story, and another season of Finding Bigfoot finding nothing will see another period of BF fading from the public eye until the next time something more convincing garners interest ...