Erickson: Sasquatch More Widespread Than Common Black Bear

gigantor

Guest Sallaranda

"Among all hunters, 564,825 were residents and 32,056 were nonresidents." Number of deer hunters in Wisconsin in 2010.

http://blogs.twincities.com/outdoors/2010/11/wisconsin-deer-kill-up-6-perce.html

That's just Wisconsin.

That's all the hunters that ever hunted in Wisconsin in an entire year. In any one area there wouldn't be all that many hunters at any one given time. Bigfoot could still remain hidden from hunters with relative ease if you ask me.

What, chance encounters don't count? There's a caca-load of cameras traversing the woods and suburbs of America. There's growing numbers of trail-cams.

Sure they do, but that's a whole other variable that wasn't being discussed. As far as trail-cams go there is a theory that Sasquatch can hear the electromagnetic frequencies that the cameras themselves put out, thus causing the creature to avoid detection from the cameras.

The longer I remain fairly convinced the bigfoot creature exists, the more I have to wonder just why the hell a body, dna evidence, or just a decent photo aren't harvested. :insert sorely needed "head scratching smiley here::

We are all wondering that, I1. However, I have had my own personal experience with the creature and that is all I need to support my belief. If Sasquatch never gets "discovered" in my lifetime, it won't matter. I know there is at least one out there, and that's all that matters to me.

That's all the hunters that ever hunted in Wisconsin in an entire year. In any one area there wouldn't be all that many hunters at any one given time. Bigfoot could still remain hidden from hunters with relative ease if you ask me.

That was one state. That was 10x the number of hunters (different species, elk vs. deer) mentioned by Suxiq2 (60,000). That's an awful lot of brushing aside goin' on, there.

"That's all the hunters that ever hunted in WI in an entire year." How many months are there active deer hunt season in WI? Five? Again, what's that lump under the rug?

Edited by Incorrigible1

Guest Lesmore

Les, I am so impressed. What camera would you recommend? The best camera, if I should encounter BF, I would want to take a good picture *before* I died of shock... :blush:

Most of the DSLR's are pretty good. My main camera is an older Pentax K10D, which has something like 77 weather seals and is rated by Pentax to be weather resistant. It is also ruggedly built.

Pentax also makes some lenses that are weather resistant...I think they identify them by the letters WR. The 55-300mm WR Pentax lens is a good, lightweight lens that has very good ratings in terms of lens quality.

Pentax currently makes a very rugged, weather resistant camera, that has excellent ratings. It's the Pentax K5...but it's very expensive...around $ 1600 CAD and around 1450 USD...that's for the body only. The WR 55-300mm lens is and I'm guessing another $ 400 +...so it get's pricey.

The K5 is an advanced amateur, semi pro camera....much more than most need.

I have a lot of camera equipment...Canon, Mamiya, Olympus, Leica, Panasonic Lumix....modern cameras...they're all pretty good. Years ago I worked for a publishing company and one of my duties was as a photographer.

What I would suggest is that you consider an entry level DSLR. Nikon, Pentax, Canon, Sony are all good.

Most of them have basic kit lens packages....for example a wide angle to normal, zoom (usually around 18-55) and a 55-300mm lens that you can buy as a package.

At the entry level they won't be weather resistant....but what I do a lot of times, is that I carry my entry level DSLR (a 2009 Pentax KM (K2000 in the USA) and a 55-300mm. It's lighter than the top of the line Pentax K5 or the Canon equivalent, the 7D, or the Nikon equivalent the D300s.

To counter the fact that the basic, entry DSLR's are not weather resistant, I carry a water proof, garbage bag...good one like a HD green Glad...if it rains ...I tuck it in the bag.

The entry levels are also a lot cheaper, although still not cheap. When I say basic...they're not that basic....they have many features and the ability to use interchangeable lenses.

I have steered two friends to Pentax DSLR's...they went from point and shooter cameras...one to a Pentax KX, the other to a Pentax KR. Both have the kit packages ...18-55 and 55-300mm...for around $ 750 CAD.

I would recommend a website...Steve's digicam http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBUQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.steves-digicams.com%2F&rct=j&q=steve%27s%20digicams&ei=AeeHTcHkHsaMrQHY7vjUDQ&usg=AFQjCNG9pDdqstpR4G1ug7FIEMZvNdYJUQ&cad=rja and they have a forum...what camera should I get....lot's of good informed help.

Go onto forums at this website to find What Camera I should buy.

Hope this helps...if you have any other questions, please let me know.

Les

Edited by Lesmore

Or you could pick up a good used 35mm with comparable lens for just over $100, and know that if needed, you won't be challenged for digitally manipulating a photograph because you have a negative. Of course you won't be immune to costume having someone in a costume.

As a hunter, I usually don't carry around a camera. It just depends on how much I want to carry around with me in the woods. I have paid for it too, believe me. angry.gif I don't mean just with bigfoot either, but with other amazing animal encounters. I should pick up one of those slim digital cameras that I really can't complain about packing. I always do carry a pack, but heck, its filled with all the other needed hunting & survival stuff being I can get well into the backcountry.

As for hunter concentration, for one thing, they usually know humans are in the area as you are just driving in. That's when the wood knock alerts go out if they are near. Even before you get out of your vehicle in most cases. Once I was privy to this while driving in in the lightest quietest powder snow and heard the knocks. But once your in the back country, they are usually more observant of our movements then the other way around. Heck, we're clumsy in comparison. We often wear boots too and they are barefoot. Just our walking around while being quiet has sound most people can't hear. A few here may know what I'm talking about, but not all hunters can hear the lowest sounds out there, sub-harmonic if you will. The same sound a deer hoof makes when impacting dirt, it can carry farther at the very low range. I've got an ear for this but few other hunting friends of mine do. Its more like 'feeling' the footsteps in the earth. I definitely value this sense of mine and listen closely.

Point is, we stand little chance at sneaking up on them regardless of their numbers. Yeah there's a lot of them out there, more then most people realize. They just seem to move out of an area when we are there, unless of course they have grown accustomed to you. Then its a different situation altogether. Either way they aren't going to just smile and let you take their picture.

Guest Knuck

Knuck, What type of sounds do you key in on to know when they are around?

One of the sounds (that is not mimickry) they make is a very delicate chatter, I've found that it sounds almost exactly like squirrel monkey chatter. They also make a sound that may be teeth chattering very quickly. Sometimes, if a particular young one see's me, he will "call" to me in what I can only describe as a loud gasp. If I'm on my back deck, (after dark), and he is going to the next road over, he uses the yard above my next door neighbor's. Sometimes he won't stop. When he does, if I don't know he is there, he will either bang on the top of my neighbor's chain-link fence or rattle it to get me to look. I wave and gesture "friend". I wish I could see him to know if he is gesturing back. The one I think is the dominant male of the group sometimes does some new mimickry he has learned, to see how I react. He did a horse perfectly several times one night, while standing in the trees across the road from me. I clapped (lightly) and shook my head "affirmatively".(The closest horse at that hour of the night was 1 1/2 miles away minimum. I have "tongue clucked" little tunes, and he has repeated them back the next day exactly as I did them. Once in a great while, I hear three or four peacocks up the road (in the neighborhood) calling out. We have no peacocks in the area. Last week I heard them, and I hadn't heard a peacock in almost two years. They like doing barred owl calls to locate each other in the neighborhood. True some are the genuine article. But at least half the time it's the Squatches. It's a lot of fun, and ultimately fascinating! (I know, to most this is nothing but my little make-believe story) It's your right to think that. Long as you think that way, you'll never know. Southernyahoo, you have a good one!-Knuck

Or you could pick up a good used 35mm with comparable lens for just over $100, and know that if needed, you won't be challenged for digitally manipulating a photograph because you have a negative.......

.......Point is, we stand little chance at sneaking up on them regardless of their numbers. Yeah there's a lot of them out there, more then most people realize. They just seem to move out of an area when we are there, unless of course they have grown accustomed to you. Then its a different situation altogether. Either way they aren't going to just smile and let you take their picture.

You've confused me, something far too easily done. Do you advocate picking up a quality used SLR 35mm camera, or do you profess it's pointless, as we pitiful humans won't be able to sneak up upon the superior creatures within telephoto distance?

Yikes, there surely is a lot of building these creatures up into something superhuman on these forums. Some have them mimicking choruses of frogs just outside their window, while others have them aware of our approach far beyond our puny ability to sneak. It seems the harder you try, the behinder you get.

Incorrigible1, that last line "It seems the harder you try, the behinder you get." Sounds like the story of my life. Lol. With your blessing, I think I've found my long sought after tag line!

You've confused me, something far too easily done. Do you advocate picking up a quality used SLR 35mm camera, or do you profess it's pointless, as we pitiful humans won't be able to sneak up upon the superior creatures within telephoto distance?

Yikes, there surely is a lot of building these creatures up into something superhuman on these forums. Some have them mimicking choruses of frogs just outside their window, while others have them aware of our approach far beyond our puny ability to sneak. It seems the harder you try, the behinder you get.

It's still a BLAST trying Incorrigible. I am as guilty as anyone for thinking I might have gotten lucky when I was working my field station. But after a few seasons of that, I came to understand its going to be on their terms, and that my hauling around a vid camera along with other recording gear was just extra weight. But that's just me. blush.gif lol

A camera is still better then a rifle for the purpose IMHO.

Admin

If I'm on my back deck, (after dark), and he is going to the next road over, he uses the yard above my next door neighbor's. Sometimes he won't stop. When he does, if I don't know he is there, he will either bang on the top of my neighbor's chain-link fence or rattle it to get me to look. I wave and gesture "friend". I wish I could see him to know if he is gesturing back.

:lol: If you can't see it, how do you know it's a BF?

Edited by gigantor

Oh, gosh! For sure, don't ask for proof of claims, lest you be labeled a doubter.

They seem immune to photography, ventriloquism comes naturally to them, and they know whether you've been bad or good. Wait, maybe only around December, on that last part.

Guest Knuck

It's one of those "You gotta be there" type things. I don't expect you to believe a word I say. That's fine. I know what I know. And I'm amazed by it more every experience I have. I've had one come and squat down next to my deck not 30 ft away from me, just to check me out. And yes, I saw it. I was out in the yard. She was closer to the house than I was. I talked softly to her, and she made a soft cooing sound. After I talked to her for a couple minutes, she crept back around the house quietly the way she came. They have been here in this location for a long time. Sounds I heard years ago that I thought were strange, (but never attributed to anything like sasquatches) I now know what they were. I have nothing to make you believe what I say. Nor do I yearn to obtain something. I like the relationship I have with them. I'm not willing to mess that up for anyone's "so-called proof". Not trying to be short or defensive, just saying what's what here. Have a good one!-Knuck

Guest Knuck

Oh, gosh! For sure, don't ask for proof of claims, lest you be labeled a doubter.

They seem immune to photography, ventriloquism comes naturally to them, and they know whether you've been bad or good. Wait, maybe only around December, on that last part.

I-1, first, there is no "claim".

You have NO proof that I or anyone else having encounters are not telling the absolute truth. Noone here (in this thread)has mentioned any immunity to photography. Nor has anyone stated anything resembling throwing ones voice so as to make it appear that an inanimate object is talking.

Your post tap dances all around the "L" word. You like expressing one phrase far to often, so now it's my turn. Sir, I submit, SHOW PROOF that we are liars! You cannot. Because WE ARE NOT! But it's that kind of attitude that will surely keep you in the dark about the subject being real. Have a nice evening, and keep stirring. We love the smell-Knuck

I-1, first, there is no "claim".

You have NO proof that I or anyone else having encounters are not telling the absolute truth. Noone here (in this thread)has mentioned any immunity to photography. Nor has anyone stated anything resembling throwing ones voice so as to make it appear that an inanimate object is talking.

Your post tap dances all around the "L" word. You like expressing one phrase far to often, so now it's my turn. Sir, I submit, SHOW PROOF that we are liars! You cannot. Because WE ARE NOT! But it's that kind of attitude that will surely keep you in the dark about the subject being real. Have a nice evening, and keep stirring. We love the smell-Knuck

I'll assume you're unaware of all the purported behavior and abilities claimed on various threads and postings upon this forum. That you've not made those claims doesn't dispose of the various assertions. You need only read to see to what I'm referring. Don't think I've singled out your stories, I've not. There are boucoups odd claims abounding on this forum, yours notwithstanding.

Admin

Sir, I submit, SHOW PROOF that we are liars! You cannot. Because WE ARE NOT!

Knuck, it is impossible to prove a negative. For example, can you prove that polka-dot spotted pink squirrels do not exist?

The proponent of any extraordinary claim is responsible for providing the proof. I'm a skeptic, but open minded. However, when you start making extraordinary claims, then I need some evidence.

I know, you're not interested in proving anything to anyone, it's a very convenient cop out, especially when you interact with them and see them all the time.

Just don't expect anyone to believe you.

Edited by gigantor