How Fast Can You Take A Picture?

Guest COGrizzly

^^ I don't know about the sasquatch part, but I'm pretty envious of the rest. I vacationed in Gaspe two summers ago and was hiking in a remote part of a provincial park, and came around a bend to find a juvie black bear just right there, it was a stunning moment, both in a wildlife encounter point of view and a , sort of part of my brain going oh crap, where is the mother, are we in danger. So I stopped, my wife literally bounced into my back, and then we both stood there, probably thinking the same thing, and then it just looked at us and wandered away off the trail, actually very casually. It was the one of the coolest moments of my life hiking. Did I get a pic? Nope, was the last thing on my brain to be honest. Like I said, my main thought was this is a young one, where is the mother. After he left, and our hearts started to beat more regularly, we both looked at each other and said, oh crap, did you get a picture?

So I guess the point of my story being that I do understand how, in the moment, it can be the last thing you think of to grab a photo. I get that. So no problem with unexpected wildlife photos. The ones that suck, for me, are the ones where they sit there for moments and moments, plenty of time to line up the shot...and then..they just walk away, especially after some BS narration..yeah, I'm looking at you Timbergiantbigfoot.

Edited by dmaker

I'm displeased with my trail cameras they usually shoot furry rumps, branches moving, birds, chipmunks, etc.

And with my mantra that photos and video of squatch are never going to convince anyone? (if its crappy its a blobsquatch......if its good......its a dude in a suit)

I will not be investing in them in the future.

I prefer to invest in 540 grain hammerheads.

I had a big cat sighting around a month ago. I passed what looked to be a black panther/puma type animal in an adjacent field whilst on a train. I got a look at it for around 5 secs and I had my phone in my hand at the time but by the time I realised what I was looking at and by brain had stopped fielding the questions I was bombarding it with the opportunity was long gone.

Used to wonder what I'd do with a 12mp camera on my phone?

I've run into many bear at extremely close range (within 10 yards) and only once did I come away with pictures.  Even then the pictures did not turn out very good.  It was a bear that I found in a hole and I sure was not going to get behind the view finder to frame the shot.  I stood over the hole and stuck my arm in front and snapped with an old point and shoot.  They turned out to be blob-bear shots. 

I did see a large black cat near Myrtle Creek Oregon once.  I got some shaky video of it.  But after it disappeared I did a size comparison and realized it was more than likely a large house cat. 

Simply put, while many people carry camera phones nowadays, most are not equipped for zoomed in action shots in poor lighting. 

This was an interesting thread. I have never really wondered why people failed to get good pics. As stated by so many previously, usually the moment is gone before you think about a pic. I think believers and non-believers can agree this has a tendency to happen. As to some videos where they seemed to have more time? Who knows. As for habituators, if it is not against their principles to take a pic.....then I think you still have focus problems in the best of circumstances. Thinking about this, I am reminded of last summer when I tried constantly to get pics of my swiftly growing Great Pyrenees pup. At times inside, only several feet away and only about 3 out of every 4 pics was even remotely clear and still more like a fuzzy blob. Outside in the sunshine was even worse. She could be still for five minutes and suddenly move the instant I snapped the pic. Wanta see some big white dogblobs? LOL In some pics it looks like a ghost is streaking by.

Just my thoughts. :)

It sometimes is not the speed but the technique.  We take pictures of each other or of birds, or my hubby likes to take pictures of his vehicles and he has one particular pic that I think is cool.  

Take a pic of your friend or spouse even the kids but be sure to have the woods in the background.

My phone camera--forget it! It takes several precious seconds just to get into pic mode, then there's a delay from the time you hit the button til it actually snaps the pic--a complete disaster for anything but a stationary and completely compliant target. Even in best circumstances, say I get BF to pose for me, the useless thing would still be somewhat out of focus, and if BF was further away than I could spit it would be a blobsquatch. Now, my camera is a Canon eos Rebel xs and I have a 75-300mm lense which does a pretty good job of focusing. In sports or portrait or landscape mode, it will snap continuously and give you an almost movie-like clip of pics...but don't expect a moving object to be in focus. I tried to get some pics of my son at karate the other night, while he was doing his kata, and then self defense techniques with a partner. Half the time I got the other kid in the forefront (they did move around a lot), and there is sometimes a delay between pressing the button and the "snap". There were several blurry pics and when the camera focused on the target, the background was very blurry. Another issue is the auto focus, it constantly readjusts and the camera hesitates until it is "happy" with the focus. Again, a moving object can be frustrating to obtain a clear image. In a Bigfoot photo endeavor, one might have best luck looking through the camera lense constantly instead of waiting for the appearance of the target and then pulling the camera up to the eye, focusing, snapping, etc  Just my experience.

Edited by AaronD
spelling/typos

Guest SquatchinNY

If I ad my ipad, no more than 10-15 secs. The thing is, if I saw a squatch, I would probably be shock at first, thereby increasing the time.