What Exactly Are We Calling Habituation?

Old Dog

Guest LarryP

What are you so afraid of, make me?

Edited by LarryP
Please don't quote the post directly preceding

Showing up with a camera is not going to work.

Not sure I exactly agree.  I'd say showing up with intent to take their pictures does not work.  At least to me, that difference is more than semantic.   There seems to be a theme, at least with what I've seen first hand ... it's about intent, not about equipment.   That has a little stranger implications.

MIB

I know precisely what I'd call Habituating a Sasquatch, but I can't type it here or I'd get another ban warning.

Not to speak for him, so these are my own thoughts.  I'm scared of more crazy stories with no more corroborating evidence being passed off as a habituation.   Jumping to conclusions that someone is 'scared' because they do not believe you is akin to jumping to conclusions that the raccoon that took your roast beef sandwich was a BF. 

I know precisely what I'd call Habituating a Sasquatch, but I can't type it here or I'd get another ban warning.

My tenure on this site goes back a long time. It's changed a lot. The moderation has been very uneven, especially compared to back when I did my best work here, and I admit take it personally when someone slaps me with a ban. I got those warnings for speaking my mind about something very plain, obvious and logical. It SEEMS that were I to have said those things in this current season of moderation, they would have been OK, since I see them being made by others. But again, I don't have a good pulse on the moderation climate these days. Hell DWA said something in the "How Many Normal" thread that is almost verbatim to what I said a couple years ago that caused the ruckus, and that dude's got more posts and friends on this site than I have hairs on my head.

How about this? I find habituation scenarios, literally, incredible.

Edited by make-me-believe

Insofar as forum moderation goes, it's not something we normally address within a topic - staff or member. However, I'll do so in this instance.

All you have to do is follow the rules, found here - http://bigfootforums.com/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

Spirited debate is fine. We welcome it here. However, there's no need to use what I'll call "sentence enhancers." The forum has a "PG Rating." Language that is not allowed by the forum's language filter will appear as asterisks (******), indicating a violation has occurred. If you post something and notice those in your posting, it might be a good idea to edit your post to remove those, as a violation has occurred. There is ample time to do so once you post. The same goes for words that are used with placeholders, or misspellings used to imply something else. These are also in violation.

90% of the problems on the forum could be remedied if posts weren't directed at others in a personal manner. There are ways to say that you disagree or think something's hard to believe without making general claims about and accusations toward others.

As for the feel of the current moderation, that's not really an issue, IMO. If you post according to the rules and guidelines, you will have no issue with the forum staff.

Guest LarryP

My tenure on this site goes back a long time. It's changed a lot. The moderation has been very uneven, especially compared to back when I did my best work here, and I admit take it personally when someone slaps me with a ban. I got those warnings for speaking my mind about something very plain, obvious and logical. It SEEMS that were I to have said those things in this current season of moderation, they would have been OK, since I see them being made by others. But again, I don't have a good pulse on the moderation climate these days. Hell DWA said something in the "How Many Normal" thread that is almost verbatim to what I said a couple years ago that caused the ruckus, and that dude's got more posts and friends on this site than I have hairs on my head.

How about this? I find habituation scenarios, literally, incredible.

FYI, I should have asked that question with the understanding that I am not interested in your history with the Moderators.

But there was a reason why I asked.

Please feel free to take this to PM.

Showing up with a camera is not going to work.

Not sure I exactly agree.  I'd say showing up with intent to take their pictures does not work.  At least to me, that difference is more than semantic.   There seems to be a theme, at least with what I've seen first hand ... it's about intent, not about equipment.   That has a little stranger implications.

MIB

Understood.

It is about intent, and if you're carrying the equipment, what does that say about your intentions?

They know your intentions. If you don't believe that's the case, then that's cool.

Indie's definition is one of the best I've seen. That's what they do, & they do it very patiently & as Larry said, very purposefully. Time doesn't seem to be a factor, they just keep on until something works for them.

Sasfooty, so they manipulate people into certain behavior or actions?

It is about intent, and if you're carrying the equipment, what does that say about your intentions?

They know your intentions. If you don't believe that's the case, then that's cool.

The equipment was there, plainly present when they've approached me.   The only thing missing was the intent to use it ON THEM ... deer season packing a heavy rifle, backpacking carrying a personal defense handgun, camera to take pictures of places to share with friends.   I knew "they" were around and I welcome whatever they wish to "pull", but I'm not out there to cause them any trouble.

Are we saying the same thing?

MIB

Edited by MIB

It is my opinion that they do.

It is my opinion that they do.

Agreed!!

Let me clarify again, I have found that if I keep at a distance, they have begun to relax somewhat to my showing up and taking pictures. What started out as a few seconds till they were well hidden has become several minutes of watching from concealment.

My problem was being able to anticipate when they will use the area that I have visual access to. That improved with time and repetition.

Edited by indiefoot

Guest LarryP

The equipment was there, plainly present when they've approached me.   The only thing missing was the intent to use it ON THEM ... deer season packing a heavy rifle, backpacking carrying a personal defense handgun, camera to take pictures of places to share with friends.   I knew "they" were around and I welcome whatever they wish to "pull", but I'm not out there to cause them any trouble.

Are we saying the same thing?

MIB

Yes, we are.

Have you read Archer 1's posts?

He's an avid hunter who owns a lot of firearms and spends a good deal of time hunting in the same area they inhabit. 

But because his intentions are benign the large male has shown himself to him on a number of occasions.