How Many Normal (Relatively) Intelligent, Adult, Witnesses Without A Prior Agenda Does It Take To Have Any Provative Weight Towards The Unknown?

Enjoy your day folks. I'm off to go kayak a river here in sunny Tahoe :)

Edited by dmaker

Outstanding!

[bows]

Enjoy your day folks. I'm off to go kayak a river here in sunny Tahoe :)

I *never* post here when I'm on vacation.  Too much like work.  :mole:

Wrt to OP's very valid question. How many normal (relatively) intelligent without a prior agenda does it take to have provative weight towards the unknown?

Answer: Just one. But that person would have to have dead or alive bigfoot body strapped to the hood of his truck.

Bringing in a body is where bigfootery fails every single time.

Second, if the notion that believeing in bigfoot would cost a scientist his job, please explain the employment of Dr. Don Jeffrey Meldrum.

Should Big(foot) Brother not have shut him down years ago?

Guest Llawgoch

Well, as I have said before, your faith in scientific infallibility is as touching as your ability to read scientists' minds is amazing.  Don't know what it is with you guys, but trust me, bigfoot won't become not-real because you keep coming here and saying it isn't, any more than scientists will make that true by ignoring those of their fraternity who are paying attention.

It's got nothing to do with whether Bigfoot is real or not.  I'm asking what you think science ought to be doing, and which scientists should be doing it.  This question is more important if Bigfoot is real.  But you continually refuse to answer it.

Wait...do you just mean they should read Bindernagel's book and say "Ooh, ok, Bigfoot is real"?  That is what you mean, isn't it?

Edited by Llawgoch

Wrt to OP's very valid question. How many normal (relatively) intelligent without a prior agenda does it take to have provative weight towards the unknown?

Answer: Just one. But that person would have to have dead or alive bigfoot body strapped to the hood of his truck.

Second, if the notion that believeing in bigfoot would cost a scientist his job, please explain the employment of Dr. Don Jeffrey Meldrum.

It might be misleading to look at the bare tolerance Meldrum enjoys today while over lookng both the risk he took at the time he came "out" on this subject and forgetting the ridicule he endured from many of his peers at the time. Indeed, in some circles, he still does. Like here for instance.

Unless and until the time the announcement of, "I want to be a Sasquatch researcher when I grow up" isn't met with guffaws and rolled eyes, this field is not not going to be the choice of our best and brightest.  I think it deserves to be.  

Then why wasn't Krantz shut down?  Why hasn't Bindernagel been whisked away in the middle of the night by the powers that be?

Trying to rationalize the existence of an imaginary creature is one thing.

Trying to rationalize a vast government conspiracy to rationalize the existence of an imaginary creature is beyond the pale.

Edited by Squatchy McSquatch

The scientific community has a rancid reputation when it comes to paradym changes. It even took the 'medical community' about 12 years to appove Vitamin B12 for preventative pregnancy problems. Horrible track record. Not to mention, Meldrum has sort of accepteed BF openly, so there you go, there are just a bunch  of shameless denyers in the 'scientific community' who can't deal with the mountains of circumstantial evidence.

As Max Planck said, science doesn't change its mind.  Scientists who don't change their minds die, and are replaced by people who already are comfortable with the new paradigm.

We may be seeing that here.  Scientists have been popping up here and there advocating an open mind toward relict hominoids.  Their thinking will become the norm.  It's only a matter of time...which in science is always longer, by a lot, than it really should be.

It might be misleading to look at the bare tolerance Meldrum enjoys today while over lookng both the risk he took at the time he came "out" on this subject and forgetting the ridicule he endured from many of his peers at the time. Indeed, in some circles, he still does. Like here for instance.

Unless and until the time the announcement of, "I want to be a Sasquatch researcher when I grow up" isn't met with guffaws and rolled eyes, this field is not not going to be the choice of our best and brightest.  I think it deserves to be.  

Big plus.  That will be the signal that attitudes have changed.  That scoffers can't see how utterly locked the society is on this question is sufficient reason, in itself, to discount pretty much everything they say.  In a most fundamental way, they just aren't in touch with reality.

Oh.  BIG minus to the flat-earth post above you.

Yeah, that's really good.  Let's shut down scientific inquiry, and burn some books while we're at it too.  Just glad some people aren't in charge.

Then why wasn't Krantz shut down?  Why hasn't Bindernagel been whisked away in the middle of the night by the powers that be?

Trying to rationalize the existence of an imaginary creature is one thing.

Trying to rationalize a vast government conspiracy to rationalize the existence of an imaginary creature is beyond the pale.

Well, I for one am not buying into a conspriracy at all.  Too much is explained by plain 'ol human nature as I know it to go all exotic on this subject.  

Every occupation comes with degrees of difficulty, and I would not expect Krantz, Bindernagel or Meldrum to skate through life.  What difficulties they have had to overcome, I could only guess at, and I don't want to compare them to any others'. But, I'm seriously doubting the possibility of black helicopters landing on their back lawn is part of their burdens to bear.  

Jeff Meldrum has repeatedly had the public support of his administration at Idaho State, most recently being promoted to the rank of full professor.  He has legions of fans and has had frequent television exposure - appearances for which he was no doubt paid.  Yes, some scientists (myself included) have been sharply critical of his work, but I would expect that his stature among the general population to be quite positive.  He has more critics than the average scientist (though we all have critics), but he also has many more fans.  I don't think he's unduly suffered for bigfoot considering what he has also gained from it.

There is no way an undiscovered large feline can be roaming around north america and not be discovered.

There are too many people in the woods with cameras these days.  How come one hasn't been hit by a car?

Where are the hair samples?

These people are either hoaxing, hallucinating, or mis-ID'ing an animal.

Do you have black cows in the area?  A cow can look like a cat in a fleeting glimpse.

;-)

The difference is these cats are a real and BF is not. Many people spend their lives exploring the outdoors and never see a cat, but we know they're there because they exist and are recognized by science...and from time to time so called hunters tree them with dogs and shoot them. BF on the other hand is a mythical creature.

Jeff Meldrum has repeatedly had the public support of his administration at Idaho State, most recently being promoted to the rank of full professor.  He has legions of fans and has had frequent television exposure - appearances for which he was no doubt paid.  Yes, some scientists (myself included) have been sharply critical of his work, but I would expect that his stature among the general population to be quite positive.  He has more critics than the average scientist (though we all have critics), but he also has many more fans.  I don't think he's unduly suffered for bigfoot considering what he has also gained from it.

Not so sure he feels the love Saskeptic.  I remember a very sharply worded critique of his research by a fellow faculty member not all that long ago, a physics Prof if I remember correctly. The crux of this Prof's gist was, "Is this some kind of joke?" I'm sure he was just the only one to put his feelings on paper and publish them. What was said over sherry at the President's residence, hmmm?

But hey, you got to start somewhere, and one guy in a rather obscure corner of a less-than Ivy League school is a good a start as any. I admire his courage and stamina, but mostly I admire his dedication to ideals we never tire of describing for those who may have forgotten them. (No, I know you haven't)

There is no way an undiscovered large feline can be roaming around north america and not be discovered.

There are too many people in the woods with cameras these days.  How come one hasn't been hit by a car?

Do you have black cows in the area?  A cow can look like a cat in a fleeting glimpse.

;-)

The difference is these cats are a real and BF is not. Many people spend their lives exploring the outdoors and never see a cat, but we know they're there because they exist and are recognized by science...and from time to time so called hunters tree them with dogs and shoot them. BF on the other hand is a mythical creature.

;-)

In point of fact, to many biologists, these cats aren't real either in areas they are presumed to have been exterminated, and no, they are not recognized by science, in that context. You could make a good argument too that the E. Puma is what is being reported, and that is DEFINITELY considered extinct by science.  But, having seen a cougar in the Blue Ridge of VA, and having had a close friend describe a jaguarundi running loose in the wilds of AL, I can tell you they are wrong. Puts the cat roughly in the same category as BF for me. 

• Upvote 1