How Many Normal (Relatively) Intelligent, Adult, Witnesses Without A Prior Agenda Does It Take To Have Any Provative Weight Towards The Unknown?

So we either have 9 fools in Alaska with nothing but their word, or all the other evidence that points to bison? A member here has even stepped up and tried to explain to you why this particular sighting report is not very credible, but still you stick to your guns that something is wrong here, and it's not you?

Impressive.

I'm not going to post the member's post verbatim.  Go back and read it and tell me the bison markers in the report.  I'll wait.

No, this is just like "you need to have a deadline for confirming bigfoot or we're right!"  Come on.  I'll say it again.  SLOPPY.

"...that something is wrong here, and it's not you?"

Marker.  Says right here in the field guide.

Saskeptic...I only came to the possibility of BF in VA very late, and my family's history there predates the Commonwealth (Augusta/Rockbridge/Bath Counties). One intriguing piece of anecdotal evidence I recently found in a family history of a collateral ancestor kidnapped in 1786 by the Shawnee down in Tazwell County, along the Bluestone river, really got me thinking. It described how early settlers found a cave "filled to the brim" with gigantic human bones, conjectured to have been from an "extinct race" and also an episode of a mysterious "howling'' animal. Both easily explained by plausible alternatives, I grant you. If I remember correctly as well, T. Jefferson made some allusion to evidence in his "Notes on the State of Va."

Bison makers? How about Nakani specifically stating that the rear of a bison can look like a head and a set of shoulders?

Saskeptic...I only came to the possibility of BF in VA very late, and my family's history there predates the Commonwealth (Augusta/Rockbridge/Bath Counties).

Very cool!

One intriguing piece of anecdotal evidence I recently found in a family history of a collateral ancestor kidnapped in 1786 by the Shawnee down in Tazwell County, along the Bluestone river, really got me thinking. It described how early settlers found a cave "filled to the brim" with gigantic human bones, conjectured to have been from an "extinct race" and also an episode of a mysterious "howling'' animal. Both easily explained by plausible alternatives, I grant you.

The "giant bones" stories from the 18th and 19th centuries are intriguing, but as far as I know "Skeptoid" Brian Dunning is the only person who's done the homework to track down the sources.  His work indicated that none of these many stories ever actually revealed a real, giant skeleton.  It's cool that you've got a personal tie to that bit of American folklore.

If I remember correctly as well, T. Jefferson made some allusion to evidence in his "Notes on the State of Va."

I don't know.  I've read that he was convinced there were giant lions to be found in western North America, and he was counting on the Corps of Discovery to collect one. Of course, he was describing bones from an extinct ground sloth.  It's a fascinating story.

I guess this throws mud in the face of people who claim mainstream science ignores Bigfoot evidence.

A reputable DNA expert took the time to do a DNA sample on a piece of hair.  He didn't even charge them.

Bison makers? How about Nakani specifically stating that the rear of a bison can look like a head and a set of shoulders?

Oh yeah.  That kills it, right there.  You see the rear of a bison and hypothesize something that isn't real.

So, we just swallow that and call it done.  Oh.  OK.  Only people don't tend to do stuff like that.  They see something they expect, and go, bison.

I guess this throws mud in the face of people who claim mainstream science ignores Bigfoot evidence.

A reputable DNA expert took the time to do a DNA sample on a piece of hair.  He didn't even charge them.

No it doesn't.  Unless you are the credulous sort, and want to conclude that the analysis of the hair puts paid to this one, which it doesn't.

Until somebody can tell me how you see a one-ton quadruped and mistake it for a quarter-ton ape.

I didn't hypothesize anything, the 9 people in Alaska did  and they were wrong. It wasn't a Bigfoot, it was a Bison bum.

No it doesn't.  Unless you are the credulous sort, and want to conclude that the analysis of the hair puts paid to this one, which it doesn't.

Until somebody can tell me how you see a one-ton quadruped and mistake it for a quarter-ton ape. -DWA

If the report had come back as unknown, you would be waving it in our faces. Stop pretending like analysis doesn't count simply because it disrupts your argument. 

Also, Mr.Followup, if you are so fond of reports being followed up on, then why don't you contact these people and demand of them how they can be so stupid to think a Bison is a Bigfoot? I am sure they would love to hear from you. And this is, after all, what you would expect of skeptics when discussing an eye witness report. So why don't you go do that?

Um hum, says someone who wasn't there.

Oh.  OK.

Talk about not admitting the possibility one might be wrong.  Meeting a lot of kettles here, for sure.

But we do see why the mainstream is behind the eight-ball on this one.  That isn't hard, at all.

Dmaker, dmaker, deembuddy.

Gotta stop the telltale "OK, you won" posts.  :spiteful:

I didn't hypothesize anything, the 9 people in Alaska did  and they were wrong. It wasn't a Bigfoot, it was a Bison bum.

Until somebody can tell me how you see a one-ton quadruped and mistake it for a quarter-ton ape. -DWA

If the report had come back as unknown, you would be waving it in our faces. Stop pretending like analysis doesn't count simply because it disrupts your argument. 

Also, Mr.Followup, if you are so fond of reports being followed up on, then why don't you contact these people and demand of them how they can be so stupid to think a Bison is a Bigfoot? I am sure they would love to hear from you. And this is, after all, what you would expect of skeptics when discussing an eye witness report. So why don't you go do that?

It sounds to me like you're telling me you guys' job, not mine.  I think they might have seen a bigfoot.  You're stuck on bison, aren't you. 

Nothing disrupting my argument on this one.  The "skeptical analysis" I'm seeing makes all my points.  But thanks.

We have a scientific analysis that shows that the hair sample provided was Bison. We have a member here who has indicated other reasons to suggest this report is not from the most credible source(s). He even offers a plausible explanation for how they could have mistaken a Bison for a Bigfoot. 

So until you come up with something compelling otherwise (or go and interview the people) to discount this particular encounter, I am going with Bison. 

Ball is in your court.

Edited by dmaker

You know what this one is?  Inconclusive.

I can't help it if the people handling this didn't think like scientists.  Not my issue.

And this is why I always say that the pile is what's compelling, not any one report.

Although the utter failure to make the case that these people mistook a one-ton quadruped for a biped a quarter the size is indeed telling.

This is yet another case of the mainstream saying, you didn't see that and guess what?  We don't care if you did.

Science at work, not.

I have a question...........

I read in the interview that the window went dark. I cannot help but think that either that's a really tall Bison butt..........or a very short window.