The 1985 Georgia Chopper Crash Site Incident

Guest JudasBeast

Guest JudasBeast

It was reported to the BFRO in 2000 but the actual incident happened in 1985. This story comes off more like a low-budget horror movie then your traditional "he ran out in front of my car" report. For those unfamiliar, I wont spoil it.

The reason why I bring it up is because basically its an unfinished investigation with no closure.

For years I had this cliffhanger lingering in the back of my mind. I have read nearly every posted BFRO report and I must say that this one sticks out the most and for good reasons. If anyone can add anything to what we already know, much appreciated.

What we do know is that the people who were killed in this accident really did exists. The accident and its location as well as the identity of the victims has been confirmed by several reputable web sites.

One might feel that this is hard to believe but interesting non the less. Others might feel that it is just straight up fiction and in bad taste. Whatever the truth is, until someone comes forth and proves it real or false, it will still stand as one of the most terrifying Sasquatch encounters ever reported.

As far as I know, the investigation sits in limbo unless the BFRO never made their findings public.

Actual story:

http://www.bfro.net/...ort.asp?id=2393

Media report:

http://www.bfro.net/...icle.asp?id=510

Edited by masterbarber
Edited to fix links.

Admin

There was a fair amount of discussion on this one on the previous board. I think most folks more or less, came to the conclusion that it was not real. If I remember the story correctly, the guy who made the report was going to add some follow-up infomation, but I do not think he ever did.

The one thing that strikes as odd if this was Sasquatch you think they would have been aware of a campsite of soldiers and a camp fire going just 50 feet away from them.

I have a few problems with this report. It states that the Helicopter crashed and burned. Given the remoteness of the area, they did have to walk in 1/4 mile, wouldn't this start the surrounding area on fire? This was a heavily wooded area with many trees and plants around as evidenced by the photos, yet no signs of fire or burning. With the area in the photos, that would have gone up and burned in a heartbeat given the fact that aviation fuel was obviously all over the area. Also, these are MP's and only one out of five guys have a flashlight? That is a common and almost mandatory piece of equipment for any LEO. He stated that everyone had pulled their side arm, but that the SGT had to drop his light to pull his weapon. Crash scene investigators are also not going to accept a shrug off when asking why the pilots body was moved. They are going to want to know who did it and why. Personally, too many inconsistencies for me to buy this one.

Also do they do an inventory of bullets or magazines? What I am getting at is wouldn't they realize shots were fired at one point in the night?

The spent rounds being accounted for is talked about towards the bottom of the follow ups.

Something is definatly fishy about the story.

.45's in miltary service means 1911s. They use 7 round magazines, not 6. Simple rounding error? Maybe...

No one, MP, LEO, hunter shoots blindly into the dark, those rounds are your responsiblity from barrel to ground. Sure you could go all out firing at anything that movies but it sounds more like a scene from Aliens not a bigfoot report.

Guest MAN OF THE WOODS

I was in bootcamp at the time of this crash.I was raised in Iowa,but didnt want to go to Cali.& be a "HollyWood"Marine.

They had a rep.of being soft,so i moved 3 days after grad.to Beaufort,SC.lived there 90 days got recruited & went to Parris Island.

Alot of the talk at that time was it a staged operation.I used the .45 in service for 4yrs.& carry one now on a daily basis

& can tell you i have NEVER had a .45 jam.& NEVER heard of one doing so.We always loaded "Hot"full clip & chamber loaded as well.

You ALWAYS "Geared up" when in flight,meaning EVERYONE would of had a MAGLIGHT.ECT...things dont add up from a military point of view.

There's no follow up report after the metal detector.

I'm guessing they didn't find any evidence of spent rounds. If they did, I'm sure that info would have been posted to lend credibility to this alleged encounter.

I used the .45 in service for 4yrs.& carry one now on a daily basis

& can tell you i have NEVER had a .45 jam.& NEVER heard of one doing so.

NEVER? C'mon, that's just incorrect. 1911s of various manufacture are subject to ills and problems, especially if not properly cleaned and maintained.

I, too, carried a cocked/locked Colt Commander while in my retail gun store management days, bur can assure anyone that any firearm must be cared for and all are subject to malfunctions.

Well Man of the woods you can now say that you have at least heard of a 1911 malfunctioning. Over the years I've owned three Kimbers, a Colt and a Taurus. All of which have had at least a couple of "issues" with one kind or another of ammo. While usually not a problem with hardball, the use of hollow point ammo can often lead to problems. Usually a pistol might have a problem with only one particular brand of ammo but it does happen.

Of course in fairness I've fired thousands of .45acp through each of them before ammo prices went through the roof.

Guest MAN OF THE WOODS

Negative!,i have never heard of or had a/my .45 jamming.I trained with the org.(1909).45 nevre! They were made "loose"for combat reasons as you should know.

Like the AK-47.A superior combat weapon to our M-16.

I trained with the org.(1909).45 nevre!

I'm not sure I understand. Are you stating your 1911 was manufactured in 1909?

I remember seeing Titanic with my steady at the time, in '97 or '98, and wondering if the bad guy, Billy Zane, could truly be chasing the protagonists thru the decks of the luxury liner with a 1911, seeing how the ship sunk in April, 1912. Doing a little research proved, to my satisfaction, the villain could have, indeed, been armed with an early model Colt pistol.

Look, I'm an ultimate fan of the 1911 pistol, but stating it never malfunctions is just incorrect. OK?

Edited by Incorrigible1