N A W A C - Field Study Discussion

slabdog

Guest Urkelbot

Hello Urkelbot,

^^ An extremely backhanded comment that is unnecessary and serves no purpose but to inflame the recipient. Pretty harsh IMO.

Don't worry i was told i was being ignored anyway so they probably didn't even read it.

Don't worry i was told i was being ignored anyway so they probably didn't even read it.

Not everyone is ignoring you Urkelbot.

Hello Urkelbot,

^ I'm with chelefoot. I don't ignore you at all. In fact I appreciate your intelligence and point of view. You write well and are to the point. It's all good.

Edited by hiflier

Hey NAWAC what has this winter done to your research area,

is anyone actively researching at present, and what if anything has changed

in "their" behavior due to the extremes?  I mean I am really interested

in where sightings are occurring during this extreme winter, and

what the creatures are doing.  I read a BFRO report southwest of Madison WI.

yesterday that had one crossing in Highway in 10 degree temps with snow.  I know

they must be able to endure these conditions if they made it through

the ice age, perhaps these conditions might even favor them...

Edited by Lake County Bigfooot

Hello dmaker,

Good question. The only thing I can think of is the long overdue die off of the winter ticks which have been severly plaguing the Moose population for the past few years. If the animal exists it is generally thought that they do not live in caves. This winter one would think that that would be the ONLY place they would live. It doesn't make sense otherwise.

Edited by hiflier

I visited my state park as of late and noticed the deer were forced to bound through the snow, one jump, pause another jump pause.

I would think that an ambush predator of the size and capabilities we are ascribing to the creature might have a decided advantage

in such conditions.  Not to mention that when prey are weakened and desperate, their trickery might be highly effective.  Some have

described them as being able to drive deer to an ambush point, or to make calls that imitate their prey in order to draw them in. I any

case I would think that in order to survive such extremes they must have adapted unique behaviors.  Of course all this is purely my

conjecture on the matter, and is only supported by eyewitness accounts, which I already know hold little weight with some.

Edited by Lake County Bigfooot

Hello Lake County Bigfoot,

Ah, I see where you're coming from here. Funny thing about snow cover too is ya never know what kind of leg-breaking danger lies beneath the deep stuff. As disturbing as it sounds driving deer into an area that is a known rockpile but looks safe because of snow cover I could see as a leg-breaking technique by predators who know the terrain.

Edited by hiflier

Guest Cervelo

I think the breaking leg predator theory has a much simpler explanation....

CDBC292E-63EB-4EBE-BB99-4F04321C4B11.jpg

Deer breaks leg getting untangled runs off and gets caught by another predator or dies...we find it and...walla another Bigfoot behavior is born ;)

I have gotten tangled up in a few abandoned fences in my day they are abundant in Va woods.

Hey NAWAC what has this winter done to your research area, is anyone actively researching at present, and what if anything has changed in "their" behavior due to the extremes? 

As I've said, we've been in and out but we're not on-site continuously. I'm not sure we have enough data to say if their behavior has changed since the majority of our observations are from the Summer months. This has been a tough winter all over but we probably won't have any suppositions about its impact on the wildlife until our next phase begins.  

I think the breaking leg predator theory has a much simpler explanation....

I have gotten tangled up in a few abandoned fences in my day they are abundant in Va woods.

That probably accounts for some in some places and should be considered.   On the other hand, when the nearest fence of any sort is 7-10 miles away,  your theory is too much of a stretch.

MIB

Are the wood apes in danger of some sort?  What would NAWAC like to protect them from by killing one?
I firmly believe that they, along with many other species, are at risk of habitat loss. A large number of sightings in our database are in or near river bottoms - a habitat threatened in East Texas (and across the country) due to reservoir creation for supplying water to large cities. We don't know how much of an impact these actions (or others, like clear cut logging or commercial development) have on resident or transient wood ape populations and we won't find out until we are able to raise funds to answer those questions. Which we can't do as long as wood apes are a myth.