N A W A C - Field Study Discussion

slabdog

When Shenandoah National Park was established in 1935, most of it had been cut down.

In relative terms.

40% of it is now designated Wilderness.

Never mind that presuming "there couldn't be wood apes in that area now" because of clearcutting is to blatantly ignore what people who give no reason to ignore them are plainly seeing.  Non-starter.  You can't ask me to just believe that.  I'd as soon buy your Brooklyn Bridge.

Your claim of a Squatchy area behind the Home-Depot is standard for many Bigfoot sightings, I do not doubt that you think there is a Bigfoot living back there.  However, I would not invest in your trail cam, because it is even more unlikely to hold a population of unclassified upright primates than the once-barren areas of Eastern Oklahoma. PS- They can't PROFIT from the web cam, they are a non-profit organization.

Drew. My post was predominantly sarcasm and only intended to be a humorous reprieve from the usual serious debate in these threads. It was not my intention to offended you, or misquote you. Though, to my recollection, you have have quite possibly been the most consistent and persistent about nipping at Biptos heels when he posts anything regarding their Oklahoma research site.

I understand what a non-profit organization is. Some of my fellow posters might recall that in the Operation Endurance thread there were a few torch carrying, pitchfork welding critics who accused the TBRC / NAWAC of orchestrating some grand conspiracy in order to avoid tax liability on personal expenditures.

And for the record, I was a harsh and outspoken critic of the ridiculous RD Home Depot fiasco. I never even briefly entertained the possibility of there being any truth to that soap opera.

So much for humor...........

Human standing long jump record is over 12 feet. (approx 4 m).

Aren't higher primates like chimps and gorillas like 6 to 10 times 'stronger' than humans?

Can we extrapolate leaping distances from that info?

Yes we can.  Chimps and gorillas standing jumps average between 72 - 120 feet.

I understand what a non-profit organization is. 

Yeah, I thought to touch on that. We can turn a profit on whatever we do. There are laws regarding when and how we do things like pay state sales taxes, but (when we do it right) we turn a profit on our annual conference. It's our only money-making activity and we do it, at least partially, as a fund generating endeavor. We want to have more money when it's over than we had when it started. It's what we do with that money we make that counts. Essentially all our revenue (from the conference or our membership dues) goes towards our research. Nobody gets paid. Nobody profits from it. Nearly all of it goes to equipment purchases that belong to the organization and are not at the disposal of any one member. 

I thought it was funny!

So did I.

Guest Urkelbot

Why would bigfoot have a 45 foot jump anyway.  It would be kind of a wasted ability in a heavily forested habitat.

The account probably belongs in  the same pile as the ones with glowing eyes, mind speak, etc

A 40 foot jump may seem like a lot, but it's not biologically impossible. Plus, the guy could have been exaggerating what he saw like most witnesses do. You can determine, at least theoretically, a rough estimate of how fast a Bigfoot could move compared to humans given these three assumptions:

-The PGF shows a real bigfoot

-Bigfoot is a wild ape

-The average stride length reported by witnesses is accurate

The creature in the PGF was shown to be almost biomechanically identical to humans (hence why we think it could be a guy inside a costume walking). With that we can assume that stride length x stride frequency will determine their speed in relation to humans. Naturally part of this is easily solved since we know their stride length is much greater than ours, but if they are pound for pound as strong as any other wild ape and move the same way we do, we can assume their stride frequency is just as amazing. So I guess we're talking about an animal that could move very fast (if it's real)  :)

I do not grant those three assumptions. They are pretty darn big ones. Especially the first.  Pretty shaky ground for your comparison.

Guest OntarioSquatch

Why would bigfoot have a 45 foot jump anyway.  It would be kind of a wasted ability in a heavily forested habitat.

It would help them catch prey such as deer, which are pretty fast in their environment.

Again, what does speed have to do with the amazing jumping abilities of the Hog-Slayer? The witness described two back to back 45 feet crouching jumps. Speed has nothing to do with it. We can only muse in awe at what this creature could achieve with a running start. Maybe their ancestors jumped here from Asia...

amazing. So I guess we're talking about an animal that could move very fast (if it's real)  :)

Edited by AaronD
to remove duplicate quotes

Guest Urkelbot

That might make sense on the savannah or plains but in the thick forest. 

45 foot jumps at 800lbs there should be lots of broken leg bones.  How high would something have to jump at a stand still to reach 45 feet?

Next time you're in the woods and see a deer leap and then jump jump jump away from you, be sure to explain to them how silly the movement is. 

Guest OntarioSquatch

Again, what does speed have to do with the amazing jumping abilities of the Hog-Slayer? The witness described two back to back 45 feet crouching jumps. Speed has nothing to do with it. 

Leg speed and standing long jump correlate very well with each other. I think what the NAWAC says they experienced could possibly give credibility to the notion that a woodape could jump 40 feet.

Edited by OntarioSquatch

^ Uh, Bipto, no one is saying that animals do not jump. Please don't obfuscate. The point is saying an 800lb primate can jump 45 feet from a standing position is absolutely ridiculous. That whole encounter story reeks of dramatic fiction conjured up by someone for entertainment purposes only. Yet it ends up on the NAWAC web site.  

That is why I have such a problem with the BRFO or any online sighting databases. Just about any tall tale, with obvious red flags in it, gets pinned up there and enters the BF mythology as a credible encounter. No wonder the majority of people don't take Bigfoot seriously. Campfire stories should not be put up as credible encounter reports on web site that want to be taken seriously in my opinion. 

The point was made that jumping made sense on the savannah but not in the forest. That's an absurd statement and what I was referring to. No obfuscation of any kind.

The witness was interviewed by two investigators who found him to be credible, so yes, it's on our site. They said in their report:

The witness spoke about the length of the subject's jumps: he recalled, to the best of his ability, that the attack leaps were probably around 30 yards total and roughly 15 yards per leap. This was on all fours. In terms of human abilities, these may seem extreme, but when considered in the context of animal abilities, the distances do not seem farfetched at all.

"To the best of his ability" and "probably around" and "roughly." Could the leaps have been less than 15 yards? Sure. I think the witness himself allows for that. But that's what he reported, so that's in the report. Also, you took exception to a bipedal animal making that kind of a jump. The witness said it leapt on all fours. As I said, they're not exclusively bipedal. 

Based on my direct observation of their speed, this doesn't seem outside the range of believability, especially with the predication of approximation in the witness account. You're not required to believe any of it or take it seriously.

That whole encounter story reeks of dramatic fiction conjured up by someone for entertainment purposes only.

Having never met the man, you're pretty easy with calling him a liar. 

Edited by bipto

I don't believe anyone picking the silly nits I'm seeing picked over that hunter's report has even the foggiest notion just how impossibly unlikely the scenario is that has this whole thing coming up false positive.

30-45-foot leaps?  Why not?  Ever watch primates before?

All of this a neatly tied-up biologically-correct concoction?

Dream ON.