Operation Northern Sweep

norseman

• 2 weeks later...

UPS wrote:

Hey Norse....I skimmed the Grendel website but haven't really had time to jump in there yet. I'm not even sure it will be possible to recover one of these animals, but I also think keeping it as simple as possible will be important. Some basic things I think would need to done.

1. Appeal to a young males sexual drive.

2. Become oriented to nighttime, live, eat, etc, all at night like they probably do.

3. Document everything thoroughly.

4. If engaged, go on offensive unlike normal human behavior.

5. If its an option, target the leader.

6. Area....I would stay well clear of any "habituation sites" that you may know of simply because of good will. Instead, concentrate on

areas like those described in 411. If you were successful, tying it in circumstantially to known missing folks could be seen as a

good deed as well as provide species recognition. I am do mot know what is responsible, but it would not be a leap for most people to

tie those together. Another idea would be to advertise your ability to take care of unwanted animal problems. I have read quite a

few reports of families that are scared of them and don't know what to do. This would be time consuming as you would have to

wade through a bunch of crap.

7. I haven't been able to think of a way to eliminate the risk to yourself or whatever you use for a lure.

8. Be careful.

These are just some basic things, the devil is in the details. Killing one is just not something that is on my bucket list and I doubt I would if I had the chance unless it was to defend myself or someone else. I am quite certain they are not human, but something entirely different than anything we current are familiar with.

Operation Northern Sweep is going to target three different waterways close to the Canadian border that intersect what I call the "landbridge".

PacificNW.A2003245.2055.1km.jpg

The only real arid place with no cover between the Cascades and the Rockies is the Okanagon valley. Which is not really all that wide. By reconing all three water ways we will be able to determine in which areas they are most present in. Do they favor the Cascade side, The Rocky side? Somewhere in between? Where they there? When? Which way do we think they went? So on and so forth.

At this stage of the game we just need a macro view of what is going on, hopefully some of this can be puzzled together with OP:NS. With future missions zeroing in on key locations.

Patrol will work like this:

TOC - Tactical Operations Command:

Responsibilities:

1) Will be in touch with Patrol teams at all times via radio.

2) Will dispatch Jet boat for insertions/extractions or as a radio relay.

3) Will dispatch QRF team as needed.

4) Will plot teams movements on map.

5) Will dispatch emergency services as needed.

6) Monitor weather advisories.

QRF - Quick Reaction Force:

Responsibilities:

1) Will stay on standby at TOC in case of an emergency.

2) In case of an emergency, the QRF will scramble to Patrol Team's location and support their mission.

Jet Boat

Responsibilities:

1) Will insert and extract teams safely.

2) Can be used as a relay station for contact between teams and TOC.

Patrol Teams

Responsibilities:

1) Stay within their respected RZ or Recon Zone.

2) Observe all activity and sign within RZ.

3) Give top of the hour SITREPs.

4) Give AAR or After Action Report once back at TOC.

5) Be aware of possible harvest opportunities by hasty ambush, etc.

Thanks for the advice and good wishes!

I'll just go ahead and dbl post this in the OP:NS thread as well. From the Kill Club thread.

This is the thread over on Project Grendel:

http://forums.projectgrendel.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=71

Guest VASquatchin

I have started to read the Kill Club thread but have not bad a lot of free time to get through the thread to see if all my questions are already answered. I won't ask all my questions but actually try to find the answers myself in the thread! lol...

How large are you planning for each team to become? And how long do you guys plan to be out in the areas? Are you trying to make sure teams each have people with certain abilities (trackers, avid hunters, etc) or will thread type of assets to the group's be brought in once you suspect activity.

While I am not sure how I feel about killing a sasquatch I am actively following threads where I know the end result is a specimen.... I am hoping I can educate myself and maybe even end up changing my initial thoughts on the idea of killing one. Of course I struggle with the idea of killing bambi so not sure how well that will work out! I pose one last question (for now anyways ;) )... is your target for a specimen going to be whichever one stands still long enough to get the crosshairs on them or will you eliminate targets because of perceived physical maturity or the sex of the animal? I would imagine it would be ideal to not get a juvenile specimen but how would you really know? It is not something that should be gone in to lightly and it seems you are really trying to think each step of the process through. I look forward to seeing out OP:NS 'S continues to to coming together and what you are eventually able to report back as findings. Until the best wishes and stay safe as you continue to discover!

That is a lot of area to cover.

Aren't there already a lot of trailcams in those areas that would give you a good sampling of the Bigfoot population in the area?

VA:

The teams will be four man teams. And we are currently working on setting up a tracking class. But we will try to split up strengths evenly.

Also any Squatch is fair game, we are at this stage simply trying to prove the existence of the creature as quickly as possible.

Drew:

I have no idea how many trail cams are set up

In those areas and how would I? They are private property......nor do I have access to their contents. If our patrols observe any trail cameras that will be documented and ill get back to you on it?

I guess you are not going to cover the entire area, but couldn't you just focus on the choke points?

If they are travelling through certain corridors, why do you have to go to all of those places with the red dots?

Couldn't you just have your  teams concentrated at each choke point?

It sounds like you are going all in on this.  I hope all the participants are single and have no kids.  That is not easy country to be dropped off in.

SSR Team

I guess you are not going to cover the entire area, but couldn't you just focus on the choke points?

If they are travelling through certain corridors, why do you have to go to all of those places with the red dots?

I don't know what the red dots are but nobody will be going to all of those places with the red dots, the land mass where they are located is monstrous.

Oh shoot, I'm sorry!!!!

That map is a sat image of the PacNW sure enough. But it's from a fire control center. So the red dots represent forest fires, and if you open that map up you will see the corresponding smoke. I apologize Drew.

The water ways are the choke points Drew, and it's easy access for us. As well as good strata to track in on the water edge, but has unaccessable or hard access to get to the waters edge, with two water ways having no roads around them at all.

I don't think anybody is in grave danger going on one of these patrols. My worst concern is firearms safety, and falls. Which is the dangers one faces when they recreate in the back country or hunt.

We will pack bear spray.........we don't want to give ourselves a bad name, by smoking bears while pursuing Squatch.

I would suspect then your probably sad I walk this earth.

War hammer goes with me everywhere......

Well spoken sir. Why can't I find friends like this guy where I live? I'm an island unto myself....even in Texas.

To the guy who made the Odin crack....I'm sure you meant that as a compliment. If not, I'm sure Norseman accepted it as one.

Any steady job markets up in your neck of the woods Norseman?

Currently iam working in Montana and North Dakota in the oilfield. People here are the same as back home. Rural hard working folk that love to hunt fish and drive four by fours.

Plenty of jobs here, not so much back home tho I hear the price of timber is coming back up.

I like Montana don't get me wrong but I sorely miss mountains and trees!

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I would share some photos my wife took of our ranch in E. Washington today. Recently we have been discussing eastern US foliage vs. western US foliage. So I asked her to take some picks of heavy foliage on the ranch.......I think she got a little carried away. Anyhow, the ranch does have pasture ground and meadows, but a large portion of it does look exactly like the pictures you will view below. And remember this is EASTERN Washington, which is home to some very arid desert like environments. The west is sculpted by very high mountains, that trap moisture on one side, such as the Olympics and Cascades, which are well known for their giant trees and dense foliage. Which then causes a rain shadow on the other side of these ranges. What people tend to forget about is that as this air travels east towards the Columbia and Rocky mountain ranges? It gets very moist again, so the rain gets trapped again in these vast, tall ranges which become very "coastal" like in appearance. And you do not get into a rain shadow again until you hit the northern plains out by Browning, Montana.

Operation Northern Sweep is going to concentrate between the peak line of the Cascades and the peak line of the Rockies (proper, as in Glacier National Park, unlike the Cascades there are many many ranges associated with the Rockies that run parallel to each other, such as the Selkirks, Bitterroots, Cabinets, Purcells, etc).

This is the same mountain my father and I stumbled upon those snow tracks years ago. The ranch is 350 acres and is nestled in the Columbia river valley about 2400 feet in elevation. It's home to numerous animals including, White tail and Mule Deer, Elk, Moose, Black Bear, Cougar and Coyote. I have never my self seen Grizzly Bear or Wolf on the ranch but we get reports in the general area.

Enjoy!

photo16_zpsf438160e.jpg

photo14_zps0716797d.jpg

photo13_zps8fccb81e.jpg

photo_zps44ad01fb.jpg

photo11_zpsbe7eda5a.jpg

photo1_zps5677e907.jpg

photo7_zps8d7fcce2.jpg

photo2_zps763e8eaa.jpg

photo8_zps4e5246fc.jpg

photo6_zpse451f644.jpg

Beautiful land, Norse. Returning from our Seattle visit with the kids and their families, Linda and I spent four days driving across Washington, ending at Sandpoint, ID. Stayed two nights in Packwood and went through Ranier National Park, then to Grand Coulee and from there across BIA and County roads to Inchelium, across Lake Roosevelt by ferry to Gifford, on to Addy, Chewelah, Usk, then Newport and on to Sandpoint. Relaxed drive on good, lightly traveled paved roads and amazing scenery.