Food For Thought - Skeptics And Believers

Hello Cervelo,

Well, thanks for the encouraging words my friend. I'm in my most comfortable element when I'm brainstorming to solve a problem or mystery. I may step on some toes now and again but who doesn't? Being part of the solution to the Sasquatch question is enjoyable as it is for many here including, if I'm not mistaken, yourself. There is a solution and that is a type specimen. The solution of nailing down the method is where I've been taking my brain. In any thread I start the underlying issue is in how to accomplish grassing one. As in my recent addition to the "Kill Club" Board.

Edited by hiflier

Guest Darrell

And that is my point, Darrell seems to be upset that the subject is all very UNscientific in it's method.........(nothing is vetted, word of mouth,etc).

Is this not what we should expect?

I'm not asking science to defend it's position, but in it's absence of this subject? What we have is what we should expect to have and Darrell's protest against it, underlines the fact of what many have been saying all along.

Well to be fair, Im not at all upset.  But, is it really advantageous to continue to and expenct to use "amature"  methods?

Who is qualified to claim something is or is not an amateur or professional method?   Some of these things you seem to be critical of are putting the bread and butter on some researchers' tables (MM, Cliff, Bobo, and others) so technically you can't call them amateur anymore.  

Until people truly professional, whatever that is, IN SIGNIFICANT NUMBERS, join into the search, it will necessarily be an amateur search or no search at all.   

Are you suggesting we should just give up?  If so, what is your personal agenda that leads you to that suggestion?  

If you're not suggesting we should give up to further some agenda, then you should not be here criticizing the amateurs, you should be going to the professionals and attempting to get them to engage.   If that's not your suggestion, you're not merely preaching to the choir, you're beating up the choir.   Where's the gain in that?

MIB

Well to be fair, Im not at all upset.  But, is it really advantageous to continue to and expenct to use "amature"  methods?

Do you have a doctorate in Biology your holding back from us?

Let me explain my position better........... I do not have a doctorate in Biology, and my chances of getting a paper vetted by Nat Geo is about as likely as dating the whole entire Swedish bikini team.

Nor do I have any money to hire Biologists, Helicopters, Veterinarians................etc. And neither does anybody else on this forum.

Which is why I'm very hard core pro kill...........I can afford to own a rifle and some modest means of entering the back country. And I don't need a Doctorate to put a bead on ole fuzzy back neither.

I'll leave DNA studies, habitat studies, pongid studies, etc..................ALL to the experts when they get here. We just need a body so that they will accept the invitation. But until they do? Your stuck with what you have got.

Edited by norseman
  • Upvote 1

How long before you give up the search Norse? Is there a limit? Or, say ten years from now, will you think geez that BF sure is good at hiding?

How long before you give up the search Norse? Is there a limit? Or, say ten years from now, will you think geez that BF sure is good at hiding?

Do you ever stop to contemplate that people are having fun? You always make it sound like I'm walking on hot coals or enduring spikes being driven into my forehead.

But something is leaving tracks out there and I don't think Ray Wallace's ghost is responsible for all of them (just some).

The cool thing about Squatching D is that you can do it while hiking, fishing, hunting or having a picnic with your spouse. Just observe the world around you and take note.

This will be me in another 30 years:

actiontrackchair2.jpg

Edited by norseman

So then the answer is that there is no point where you would think that your lack of results is due to the fact that  no actual BF exists for you to shoot? That as long as you enjoy the outdoors then the actual existence of Bigfoot is trivial? 

Edited by dmaker

To a degree...........yes Dmaker. I've said many times that my world will not shatter if I never prove it to be real, or if it's never proven real in my lifetime.

There is a very good possibility it does not exist, and I accepted that a long time ago.

That's what makes the odd track, or noise or sighting for some to be so exhilarating............that small chance, a flicker of hope.

If you went down to the C store every week and bought a lottery ticket and won the jackpot EVERY week, life would become rather tedious and boring wouldn't you think? 

So I cannot answer your question, the forest is a mysterious place........loaded full of mossy horn bulls and deep dark holes that have never seen a human foot print. It's the quest of exploration that makes life interesting.

I agree with your comments on the forest. I love hiking in the woods and with autumn quickly approaching my forest hiking will be at its peak time for the year. I don't, however, think adding imaginary characters adds any value. The woods are cool enough as it is. Fiction should be kept where it is born--in our imaginations.  Leave the real world to real animals. 

To which I can only answer that hopefully in none of your outings you encounter something that muddies that reality. Because it seems you cling to it like a child with a Teddy bear, and that's not meant to be mean at all. But you draw a lot of comfort in your knowledge that nature isn't going to throw you any curve balls............

Imagining things is something I did as a child, I don't imagine things as an adult and live in the same physical world you do.

Edited by norseman

You may not imagine things that are not there, but you seem more susceptible to flights of fancy or suggestion than I am. Other than an 8ft tall, hairy ape-dude blocking my way in the forest, there is nothing that I would even begin to think " Oh maybe this was Bigfoot". Even if I don't know exactly what the cause is, BF is not an option in my head. For you, it is.   That is maybe where we differ.

Well it is where we differ because I keep an open mind.

If you were walking along in the bush along ways from nowhere, minding your own business........ And you looked down and saw this (Not the Lincoln)?

print.jpg

You would not keep "cryptid Ape" in your head as an option? Would you simply call it a hoax and move on? Would you think another animal was responsible?

What runs through Dmaker's mind upon this encounter?

To which I can only answer that hopefully in none of your outings you encounter something that muddies that reality. Because it seems you cling to it like a child with a Teddy bear, and that's not meant to be mean at all. But you draw a lot of comfort in your knowledge that nature isn't going to throw you any curve balls............

It's the fear of the unknown that causes most skeptics to cling to their perception of what constitutes reality like a child clings to a "Teddy bear".

Well it is where we differ because I keep an open mind.

If you were walking along in the bush along ways from nowhere, minding your own business........ And you looked down and saw this (Not the Lincoln)?

print.jpg

You would not keep "cryptid Ape" in your head as an option? Would you simply call it a hoax and move on? Would you think another animal was responsible?

What runs through Dmaker's mind upon this encounter?

To answer your question Norse, a hoax is exactly the ONLY thing that would run through my mind. 

You may not imagine things that are not there, but you seem more susceptible to flights of fancy or suggestion than I am.

Well, scientists are the flightiest, because they go with evidence.  That most of them haven't demonstrably thought about this topic is just one of those things.

Other than an 8ft tall, hairy ape-dude blocking my way in the forest, there is nothing that I would even begin to think " Oh maybe this was Bigfoot". Even if I don't know exactly what the cause is, BF is not an option in my head. For you, it is.   That is maybe where we differ.

People like that undergo radical life changes - like stopping activities central to who they are - when they see one.  I wouldn't want to open myself up to that by closing myself down to the possibility that I might be wrong.  The evidence says you might want to be a bit "flightier," because you will REALLY turn into a flake when Hairy Dude upsets your reality.