Sister Species Of Neanderthal?

Cotter

I apologize if this is a repost.

But genome sequencing done by scientists found DNA of a yet undiscovered species that bread with Homo Sapiens....

Published in Cell. (if anyone has access to that journal).

I think this is interesting in that it shows the gaping holes in the primate fossil record and that scientists are still trying to piece together what makes us 'us'.

http://io9.com/5929245/does-the-african-genome-hold-the-secrets-of-a-previously-unknown-race-of-hominids

Edited by Cotter

I can assure you he's not rapping COG, but merely striking a pose. Personally, I think he's practicing how to surf. The other one in the background is holding up a board.

:laugh:

Hello All,

I ran across a point that has been running around my brain for a couple of months now. It's the story that some native Canadians mention about there being two species of Sasquatch that are vying for territory and resources in a sort of war between them. The story was saying that there are not that many Sasquatch because of this conflict.

In my research I've noticed something that is rather obvious to most folks but at the time not to me. There does seem to be two main descriptions of a SSQ's face- Humanlike and Apelike. It's made me curious enough to pursue the idea a might deeper. What comes to mind is the report where a hiker heard a loud racket and saw two Bigfoot in a sort of brawl as they were tumbling down a hillside. Interesting stuff.

Edited by hiflier

Guest Suesquach

Interesting articles. Thanks. There's so much we don't know about our own history and much of what we believe we know is false. I hope eventually we will get the answers most of us are looking for.

In the second link, they discussed over 3 million 'novel' variants.

Where have I heard that word used before?

;-)

So, without a fossil, does this DNA not exist?

;-)

So much of our views on the existence/non-existence of another bipedal hominid on this earth is shaded by our overall inability to grok that we are only just the victor in a very long war between similar species. This brutal natural selection process may have very likely driven the runner-ups into furtive seclusion. Given our propensity to visit murder on our own kind, this seems to be a sound adaptive strategy on their part. Say what you want on the kill/no-kill debate, you can't overlook the proof of humans' default setting of killing first, then examining what you've killed to learn more about it. We do that. A lot. We out-breed and out-kill all comers. We are the locust horde and we would sooner open a can of whoop-ass on you than spit. Every other sentient being on the planet knows that well, and a Sasquatch probably would know it better than anything out there.

• Upvote 1

^^^ that deserves a plus but I don't have one to give right now.   You gotta settle for a :good: today. 

MIB

So much of our views on the existence/non-existence of another bipedal hominid on this earth is shaded by our overall inability to grok that we are only just the victor in a very long war between similar species. This brutal natural selection process may have very likely driven the runner-ups into furtive seclusion. Given our propensity to visit murder on our own kind, this seems to be a sound adaptive strategy on their part. Say what you want on the kill/no-kill debate, you can't overlook the proof of humans' default setting of killing first, then examining what you've killed to learn more about it. We do that. A lot. We out-breed and out-kill all comers. We are the locust horde and we would sooner open a can of whoop-ass on you than spit. Every other sentient being on the planet knows that well, and a Sasquatch probably would know it better than anything out there.

The only problem with this hypothesis? Is that if Sasquatch is human as well? Then that is their default setting as well. They may have adapted a seclusion strategy, but if human they should be greedily eyeballing our resources, licking their wounds and sharpening their spears.........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUliLKSJ4bQ

Yes, if they were human Norse, it would be "GAME ON!!"

Let's just say they are fellow bipeds, which might be all we can say until you bring us one, O.K. :spiteful:

Whatever they really are, and if they really are, you can't argue they aren't successful. Not up to our level, as we define it, but as a population they may be increasing and exploiting new territory. Their strategy for success might just be the reason they are so confounding to us H. Sapiens, and why we apparently won this evolutionary battle to control the earth's resources. We stand and fight, and even go on the offensive if we see our main chance. Did Sasquatch just lose the will to fight on, and then adapted to a passive existence, or did we just killed off all the aggressive ones.... who can say? Whatever the origins of the status quo, we seem to be entrenched in it now.

One of the most fascinating things about multi-celled organisms is each species tends to have demonstrable behavioral predispositions. We know our own very well. Might not a Sasquatch? 

I think of BF somewhat like I do the V.C., Pashtun tribesmen or Mosby's raiders: Supremely well adapted for the existing conditions, exploiting the weaknesses of the opposition, and avoiding direct and sustained contact at all costs. That will keep you alive and out of harm's way for decades when dealing with our kind.

Edited by WSA