Sister Species Of Neanderthal?

Cotter

^^^^^^^^^

Well, the VC took horrific casualties as their tactic of guerrilla warfare failed to topple Saigon and they became more and more conventional, as the war wore on. The bottom line was they were willing to sacrifice for their cause to a much higher degree than what we were, an ultimate battle of attrition, not unlike WW1 or WW2.

But I digress, Squatch is nothing like the VC........because they do not act anything like a Human Being (or of the genus Homo).

They may very well be adapted to their environment, but exploiting our weaknesses? In a VC fashion? Absolutely not. This would be like suggesting that the Bears in Yellowstone have become terrorists, and are hijacking bus loads of tourists with demands of Honey and Fish as trade.

Sasquatch shows no Human traits at all other than walking upright, which is most likely some form of parallel evolution. Or if part of the Human tree, it occupies the very lowest of branches, and was well on a different trajectory when the first Homo species graced the Earth. I do not buy for one second the whole premise that it CHOOSES to live like an animal, while being as smart as we are. I think it is nonsense.

Agreed Norse. But, there is no doubt a highly-evolved need and ability to avoid contact with humans. I only make the point this might be for the obvious reason they view us as a threat, and always have. We certainly react in the same manner, typically. Which, if I'm looking at the situation correctly, this may be either a product of natural selection or acculturation, or both. Even if it is a product of both nature and nurture, these can be overcome by one or both groups. THAT is one of the most intriguing possibilities for me. 

So, just be sure you don't touch off a war out there, O.K.? If they start schlepping SKS's and bicycles down the Cascades, and digging spider holes, we are going to be decades sorting that crap out....

If Sasquatch was a living relic of the genus Paranthropus? Or even Gigantopethicus? Then I definitely think in sharing it's world with Homo Erectus........which was the first two legged pack hunter armed with hand axes, it would have needed to hide. Then came subsequent newer species of Homo, with bigger brains, better weapons and better language for more complex planning. Which would have brought even more pressure upon Sasquatch to fill a completely different evolutionary niche than the newer Homo species.

But let's be clear............this is not a choice, like a hippie deciding to leave NYC and go be one with nature, not even close. This is evolution at work, and in order to gain Homo like intelligence? You had to be apart of the process, you had to be duking it out in the ring. Sasquatches ancestors didn't do this........they watched from the sidelines as Homo Neanderthals and Homo Sapiens butchered each other. They may have conked one over the head that was lost and alone.......but they didn't dare tackle a clan or a tribe of them. And more importantly they didn't sit down and try to sort out flaking stone, fire starting or the longer lasting light bulb.

If someone is to tell me that Sasquatch is as intelligent as Humans? I ask where is the evidence? Where is the outward expression of that intelligence?

Edited by norseman

We are talking about a time approx. 50,000 years ago, a possible mixing with another MSA African population.

When Humans mixed with other populations it meant that the secondary population eventually disappeared.

So to make a Bigfoot connection here, you have to say that a MSA African population, mixed with humans, did not get engulfed by the overwhelming gene flow that would have occurred, travelled all the way across Central Asia, to Eastern Asia and Siberia, crossed into N. America, and evolved into a GIANT HAIRY creature, that is 8-12 feet tall, in 50-100,000 years.

And remember Norse, there are two kinds of victory: On the battlefield and "the victory of the cradle." We not only kill better than any other species we also, well, you know...

You think THAT is why Sasquatch hides? Come to think of it, Patty did have a rather, umm, concerned look on her face, you know?

We are talking about a time approx. 50,000 years ago, a possible mixing with another MSA African population.

When Humans mixed with other populations it meant that the secondary population eventually disappeared.

So to make a Bigfoot connection here, you have to say that a MSA African population, mixed with humans, did not get engulfed by the overwhelming gene flow that would have occurred, travelled all the way across Central Asia, to Eastern Asia and Siberia, crossed into N. America, and evolved into a GIANT HAIRY creature, that is 8-12 feet tall, in 50-100,000 years.

That's impossible.

The split must be much older, as in millions of years or much older with parallel evolution going on.

And remember Norse, there are two kinds of victory: On the battlefield and "the victory of the cradle." We not only kill better than any other species we also, well, you know...

You think THAT is why Sasquatch hides? Come to think of it, Patty did have a rather, umm, concerned look on her face, you know?

She was dead, if the Humans had wanted her to be.........and it would have made little difference if the men had been armed with Bows or Spears. I do not believe that it was a good thing to bump into your cousins in the forest alone in pre history. 

That's impossible.

The split must be much older, as in millions of years or much older with parallel evolution going on.

No.

You are incorrect.

The three tribes in the article split approx. 40,000 years ago.  The influx of unknown DNA would have happened around that time.

http://arxiv.org/abs/1207.5552

If someone is to tell me that Sasquatch is as intelligent as Humans? I ask where is the evidence? Where is the outward expression of that intelligence?

I'd say it depends on what scale you wish to measure intelligence. Perhaps once you have a decades worth of hunting them, you'll understand their intelligence better. If intelligence were measured in elusiveness, I'd say sasquatch has put a whoopin on us for the last 5 decades, and it's not entirely because nobody will shoot one on sight, but conversely because they will.

Edited by southernyahoo

Norse-

Here is a better article that breaks down the divergence and even puts a date range of 20-80k years ago, for the inbreeding taking place.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/27/science/cousins-of-neanderthals-left-dna-in-africa-scientists-report.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

The unknown population split from humans and neandertals 1.2 million y.a.,  but then interbred with the Hadze, Sandawe, and Pygmy 20-80k y.a.

Edited by Drew

Norse-

Here is a better article that breaks down the divergence and even puts a date range of 20-80k years ago, for the inbreeding taking place.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/27/science/cousins-of-neanderthals-left-dna-in-africa-scientists-report.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

The unknown population split from humans and neandertals 1.2 million y.a.,  but then interbred with the Hadze, Sandawe, and Pygmy 20-80k y.a.

Right. But what your saying is that we cross pollinated with other species of Homo, that we share the same genus with. You can go back and reread my posts in this thread as to why I do not believe Sasquatch to belong to the genus Homo.

I'd say it depends on what scale you wish to measure intelligence. Perhaps once you have a decades worth of hunting them, you'll understand their intelligence better. If intelligence were measured in elusiveness, I'd say sasquatch has put a whoopin on us for the last 5 decades, and it's not entirely because nobody will shoot one on sight, but conversely because they will.

I've never seen a Lynx or a Wolverine in the wild either...........and yet they are there. So am I to conclude that they too have the same intelligence or are smarter than Humans?

Look at other cryptids..........who are equally as elusive, but represent non ape species, such as large long neck dinosaurs? 

Surely we cannot use elusiveness as a measuring stick to decide what is smart and what is not.

We have to use the fossil record, Homo Erectus used fire and fashioned stone hand axes millions of years ago, on the evolutionary tree? Should I expect to find Sasquatch above or below that branch of the tree? I say below.

Right. But what your saying is that we cross pollinated with other species of Homo, that we share the same genus with. You can go back and reread my posts in this thread as to why I do not believe Sasquatch to belong to the genus Homo.

I have no argument with you on that.

No way this article points to anything to do with Sasquatch.

This interbreeding would have been between Homo species.

Edited by Drew

I've decided to name the next band I'm in "Sasquatch Jihad"....inspired by this thread. Just has a great ring to it, don't it? If anyone cribs it from me here, I want back-end licensing, sight and sound too.