The Stealth Of Bigfoot

hiflier

Guest thermalman

Wouldn't every creature have built in stealth ability? Predators even more so?

Edited by thermalman

Hello thermalman,

Yes, predators even moreso.

@Sunflower,

I think staying positive is better than admitting defeat before one steps out the door. As far as the NAWAC thread? Yes, every word.

@ Braco,

Thanks again. Entering a side trail as I described would put one upwind of the main access road (MAR) which seems like the best time to access the side trail. The wind shift would then push smells from the MAR onto the side trail which would be the ideal situation for a Sasquatch to monitor the MAR by smell. The team would already be embedded along the side trail perhaps a bit deeper in than the trali itself.

Just tossing a couple of rocks for thought here.

Hello All,

Here's a good example of an access-way to a side trail http://sasquatchresearchers.org/behavior/#field-notes-sra-andy

:

A8.jpg

Edited by hiflier

Wouldn't every creature have built in stealth ability? Predators even more so?

Yes, we humans have the same ability, but we, as a whole, progressed past the point of needing that ability any more so few use it. (Of course the military does still use stealth, but the members have to be taught how to regain the skills.) Stealth in hunting entails movement toward the prey without being seen or heard. Staying hidden and quiet in a hunting blind or stand is a good way to see or shoot (with camera or firearm) "prey", but not much stealth is required. Cats, both wild and domestic, stalk and attack prey with about as much skill as a BF. BF is the only wild creature that I have ever encountered that will purposely approach a noisy human coming into his home territory, night or day. If the BF just wants to see what an intruder is doing, it won't be heard or seen. If the intruder is doing something that is interesting to the BF, it may hide and watch for hours. If it's approach is marked with the noise of foot-falls and limbs being broken by its passage, it wants you to know that the "boss of the woods" is coming, and is "suggesting" that you leave.

There is one habit that BF has that conflicts with it's usual need for quietness that puzzles me a little. That is it's fascination with noisy tractors pulling bush/brush hogs  in secluded areas which are not generally farmed or pastured. (Food plots in hunting areas and utility right-of-ways) I've received dozens of reports from several states from folks who have operated such equipment while being watched by BF. In some cases - two within twelve miles of my home - the creatures were standing openly and, as one witness said, "Leaning against a tree like a drunk beside a light pole" watching the tractor circle the clearing. In an AL case, the BF remained in the same place until the tractor circled and headed back toward it, and then simply stepped back out of view until the equipment passed. It then resumed it's stance against the same tree. In that case the BF watched the work until it was completed. (That event occurred on the same property owned by the folks who were the primary witnesses in the Cullman County case involving a long term "semi-habituation" situation and where very clear photos of multiple tracks of different sized and shaped tracks were made.)

In one such local case, the witness - who has seen six or seven BF during his extensive hunting experiences over the past 60 years in the river bottoms - was bush-hogging and disking a food plot two summers ago. He called me by cell phone while on the tractor - with the mower off and the tractor idling. He excitedly told me that there was a BF with long red silky hair which had been watching him for a while, but he didn't know how long. I knew where he was at, and asked in what direction the BF had left. He said, H---, SHE"S still watching me." I asked how he knew it was a "she". He said loudly, "Man, are you that old? I'm looking at her from the waist up!) A few seconds later he said, "I guess I spooked her; shes  walking off toward the river." He was impressed with the length, color and sheen of her hair as splotch of sunlight was shining on one shoulder.

All this is to point out that there is more than one way to attract a BF. They are undoubtedly very curious about human-made sounds that they don't hear often. (Chet Atkins's music is well received by the "hill folk" BF, but not so much by the bottom-land Boogers here.)

Gotta go pick scuppernongs for a batch of wine. Later.

• Upvote 1

Hello Braco,

The variety of the grape of course. Spent my childhood in Eastern Tennessee. Ever gone to this?:

http://www.nationalmuscadinefestival.com/

It's only been around for a few years.

Ok. Thanks. What I have are vines of the original native scuppernongs that were found in NC by the earliest explorers and settlers. They are the color and size of the ones shown on the festival ad. I obtained mine as rooted vines about fifty years ago. The rooting came from a vine that was about one hundred years old at the time

Locally, we have native muscadines that are larger but nearly black when ripe, and another smaller version that is smaller and purple when ripe. I don't have any of the improved (or hybrid) varieties.

Hello Branco,

Are you telling me that you have rootings from the Mother Vine??!! Unbelievable, good on you.

Edited by hiflier

Hello Branco,

Are you telling me that you have rootings from the Mother Vine??!! Unbelievable, good on you.

NO, NO! Not from N.C., I got my rooted vine from my very old math teacher whose parents brought a rooted vine with them from N.C. about 100 years before. My original vine has vines that have rooted, but the old original vine is still bearing. I don't have a clue how, or from what area of N.C. the grandparents got theirs. (N.C. was full of the native bronze muscadines when settlers arrived. No other place on earth - according to "experts" - had such an abundance of wild, sweet grapes from which great wine, jelly and juice could be so easily obtained.) 

Edited by Branco

Hi Branco

Are you contributing to any other sites now that alabamabigfoot.com has ceased? I really enjoy reading both your reports and experiences.

Thanks

Hi Branco

Are you contributing to any other sites now that alabamabigfoot.com has ceased? I really enjoy reading both your reports and experiences.

Thanks

Thanks Parkie. When I have time I do the follow-up investigations on some of the Arkansas reports received by the BFRO. But I personally receive good reports of sightings, encounters and physical evidence from several states about every two weeks or so. When the witnesses will agree to do so, I encourage them to file a report with the BFRO so that an area investigator can follow-up, and post the report so that it can be added to the BFRO data base. Local reports that I receive directly by phone or e-mail I investigate and write up, file, and add to my AR sightings map. 

Just received a second-hand report from a LEO in another state that I've worked with because of his encounters in the past. He's hot on the trail of a tip in which a land owner reportedly shot and wounded one pretty badly recently. Have to wait and see.

The reports I don't have time to write up for the internet, I hope to save for younger folks who have an interest in  BF. Started a book for them, but don't think I'll ever finish it. Just had rather be in the woods than on this computer. 

Going down in the bottoms to an old hot spot this afternoon put out a few more bushels of pears, and see what I can find.

Regards

Tal, thanks for the reply. Have you considered dictating to a third party who could then write it all up for your review? That would obviously save copious amounts of time and you could finish your book. I'm sure there would be numerous writers interested in this subject who would be willing to take it on as a project.

I know it sounds sycophantic but from reading articles authored by you on the net I would be very interested to read a legacy of your experiences and further reports.

Parkie: I wrote and published one book on a totally different subject a few years ago. It was a pain in the ----, uh --neck. When I started writing a BF book later, I was traveling so much in the south/southeast and spending so much time in the woods, I didn't get much done on the book. A granddaughter with excellent writing skills offered to help like you suggested. Then, dad-blame it, she went to Yemen and went to work as the editor of a slick, magazine written in English. When things started going downhill fast over there, she came back to the States and is finishing her PhD at Geo. Washington U in DC. She has spent a lot of time in the woods with me, and enjoyed it. She was with me and two others one night when I called and one of Big Reds come charging in a little too close for her comfort. But she hung with me for a few yards when I started walking and talking toward where he stopped. He was just playing. Had heard her and the others talking, and had to check them out.

I'm saving my unpublished reports, maybe some of the kids or grand kids will throw it together later. (I wrote a BF column for some newspapers for a good while, but again, just took too much of my "woods time". Love it; even when things get kind of "wild and hairy.)

Thanks for your kind comments and suggestions.

Edited by Branco

Interesting thread, and I can only add that in my area there were obvious trails much wider than deer in areas humans did not trek often, if at all, and frequently these were several tens of yards above either a common human trail or game trail.  

These wider trails often led into very thick brush, actually an invasive species of trees that blot out the conifers and are difficult to walk thru.  Inside one area I found a 15' circle of dirt, freshly dug up with apparently a stick (I did photograph) and it seemed the "nut grasses"(my slang name..not sure the variety) had been popped up using the stick as the end had impacted dirt.  Not enough of the bunches remained to indicate grubs or something were the goal, and it seemed they had been eaten..I couldn't figure it out..  One set of elk tracks went thru the dirt, but didn't look like they stopped or grazed.  

But, I found a lot of evidence the BFs use roads and human trails at night routinely.  I assumed to get from A to B fast and although i could rarely cast, the fine dust on the roads left enough imprint for a few days to find.

I was reading Bobbie's website last night... hoping it stays up forever, wondering if I should copy it....too much to copy!...and noticed a sighting report from some campers at an overworn campsite in BC...and a Sas walked in and lifted their fish...so this campground visiting Sas culture has been around for decades....  just a thought...a reminder my experiences and many others are occurring in what seem to be high human traffic areas (well this campground fairly remote..but 2xwheel accessible)...

Also, if you were raised in forest, strong and confident, what stealth could you apply?  For me BFs are every bit as intelligent, if not more so, with respect to these skills..it is survival after all..and for us a distraction of sorts., 

Edited by apehuman